Sunday, April 05, 2015

Sunday Selections

River's Sunday Selections will be here and Elephant Child's here.

I think the last time I showed you my late grandfather's wheelbarrow, it was finished in undercoat. Tradie Brother has now completed the job in its original colour and it looks terrific. As a wheelbarrow, it is a heavy and awkward beast. It is about 55 years old.


This was a while ago and what a nice celebration. We had something else on so we did not attend, but we would have otherwise.


Either from The Herald Sun or The Age. It's a great photo of a P & O ship moored off the Mornington Peninsula town of Mornington instead of the usual cruise ship mooring of Station Pier.


Phone camera, hence the vivid colours. Now Hallmark Apartments, was a hotel, Holiday Inn and before that, St Kilda Road Travelodge.


I came across this on Face Book. It was taken from the Shrine. Back then the building on the right was BP House, now Domain Apartments with many rich and influential residents. The Highrise wasn't built then but if it was, it would be clearly visible down the road a bit.


What the same buildings look like now.


Near the centre of the photo you can see the Classic Cafe. I took this photo of a photo at a small exhibition at the Town Hall. It was two levels and from the 1950s to the 1980s was Mother's cafe when she visited town. I can remember it well enough as we were often with Mother when she would stop on the way to the station for afternoon tea. It pains me to say, but it is now a McDonalds.


Few are left but this is one of the remaining underground public toilets in Melbourne. When the first female public toilet opened in Melbourne, lads would hang around outside watching woman enter and leave with their imaginations in a feverous state.
 

This was nearly a catastrophe. They are magnetised metal stars stuck to a magnetic base. I bought it at the late Dame M's garage sale for couple of dollars. It is a bit of fun to play with. I was about to scrape down the barbeque and the scraper went to close to the magnet and stars jumped onto the scraper. As I frantically tried to stop some sort of total transfer, I could feel my glasses slipping off my nose and my phone sliding from my top pocket, which would be a disaster if they hit the floor and went over the balcony edge. Save the phone first, then the glasses and then worry about getting the stars back to where they belong.

Later edit: I have discovered the metal work under the table has become magnetised, hence the odd jumping of the stars.


Our traffic lights were changed to LED. They are rather much brighter.


The early days of The Age online. Its address is now theage.com.au Back then, it was http://www.vicnet.vic.au/vicnet/theage.htm

26 comments:

  1. Tradie Brother did an amazing job. My father's wheelbarrow had lumps of dried concrete, paint splatters and I can't remember it stylish or new, but looks to be about the same vintage.
    Love the varied photos and subject matter. Thank you. What time did you take the traffic light photo? Almost no-one around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11.54am Thursday 26th March are the time and date the photo was taken. You are right. It is rather quiet.

      Delete
  2. As far as I am aware none of Sydney's subterranean public toilets remains in use. Sydney is more sinful than Melbourne, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I don't believe ours have been filled in, just capped. Sydney is well known to be our county's most sinful city.

      Delete
  3. "Phone camera, hence the vivid colours"

    I often use the chrome setting. It's so dull half of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, my niece had played with my camera phone settings. She understands them better than I do. I must put it right.

      Delete
  4. I know not everyone in the world loves cruising... some people feel nauseated at the thought of travel over waves. But your photo looks VERY inviting. I would jump on board in a heartbeat and sail around the South Pacific, or wherever it was going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have tried sea cruising but I might like a short cruise, say to New Zealand or along our east coast. The ship passengers poured rather a lot of money into the Mornington economy.

      Delete
    2. The trip from Melbourne or Sydney across the water to New Zealand is usually the choppiest part of the cruise. I loved every moment on board; my poor beloved lay in bed, closed his eyes and prayed for death or the shipping terminal, whichever came first :)

      Delete
    3. Ah yes Hels, as we have discussed before. I don't think I would get seasick.

      Delete
  5. Love the cruise ship!
    The metal stars look interesting. curious that the metalwork under the table should have become magnetised.
    Your The Age headline reminds me I have an old book of 'Sixty Nine Years of Events from the pages of The News' which was released sometime after that particular newspaper closed down and we were left with just The Advertiser. I should take a few photos from that book and post them occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is the magnet sitting on the table that must have affected the metal underneath.

      It would be interesting to see some of the stories, and it would be interesting to see some more house plans.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, I love your wheelbarrow. Now at my place it looks a bit diffeent. But yours is old but in great shape..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, well my brother is the owner of the barrow now. He really likes it, but it is not practical to use.

      Delete
  7. "High Riser" has been included in our A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-sunday-drive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Jerry, new visitors means more comments to respond to, but thank you. I had a quick look at your site and I recognise your name from the past.

      Delete
  8. I daresay it was actually your magnetic personality which made the stars go wild.I am not fooled by your 'science'.
    The wheelbarrow looks fresh and stylish, but not sure it's really 'in fashion' right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, actually, as those blog mates who have met me will attest, I am fairly quiet and reserved and I certainly don't have a magnetic personality. I do tend to be person who stays for the long haul though once I like someone. :-)

      Delete
    2. You're exactly the kind of person I enjoy spending time with, and in person... until I get comfortable with someone I tend to be quite quiet... but when I'm comfortable, the silly breaks out. It wasn't until I was years into adulthood that I spoke above an almost whisper.
      It might surprise you that I'm much more of a 'roll with the punches' kind of person than a control freak; I like things peaceful and relaxed...... which is why we have four dogs, lol.

      Delete
    3. Jac; you've just described me.

      Delete
    4. *Blink* Sillies unite!

      Delete
  9. Lovely wheelbarrow looks new...doesn't show it's age at all...it's good to have old photos of various places and things, to see the change to today. Lucky with your phone and glasses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I think it looks great, but don't try to use it as a barrow. There is a good reason why it lasted so long. It is damn heavy. R won't even take his phone onto the balcony. I am so careful.

      Delete
  10. Well if that fab old wheelbarrow is to heavy to use Andrew, it would make a brilliant planter, imagine it full of blooms :) let's hope with the brighter led lights there will be less accidental bumps on the road outside the Highrise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think the brighter lights will lead to less bumps. Bring back the good olds days when cars often crashed into to each other below the Highrise. It was good blog fodder.

      Delete