Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday Selections

River's Sunday Selections can be found here, and Elephant Child's here. They are both very reliable Sunday Selection posters, unlike myself. 

I am trying something new and uploading my photos in their original size. How does blogger deal with that? Is it a problem for you as a reader? That was a fail. The photos stopped uploading. Back to resizing. This camera has taken almost 10,000 photos, just as the last one did and I have bought a new camera. These are among the last photos you will see taken by the old camera. Of course I will tell you about the new camera at some point.

Both Toorak Road and Domain Road were blocked off, but so many people were disbelieving and thought they would try anyway. They either had to make a U turn and come back, or turn left into a side street, left into Domain Road and then back into St Kilda Road, which probably added 5 to 10 minutes to their trip. Buses, taxis, cars, motorbikes, so many did not believe the road closed sign. If one  car went around the closure signs, many would follow but if no one tried, then no one else would.


The reason for the road closures were tram track repairs in Toorak and Park Street


and replacing the tracks at the corner of Domain Road and Park Street.


We had some visitors.


Look, one cocky even wants to do something nasty to the granite.



Zoom in a bit.


We can see this gutted block of flats from our place, but I suggested to R that it wasn't being demolished and I was correct.


This is the rather pleasant front of the building and it is going to undergo a big renovation and will look very nice once done and the apartments will sell for mucho moolah.


Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, a shepherds warning. But I can't remember if it was apt in this case.


See the smoke on the horizon? Two possibilities. On Good Friday steam trains were taking tours on our suburban tracks. This could well be smoke from the train, or it could smoke from where the steam train set some grass on fire near Elsternwick Station.


Like the glass pool in Riley Street, Sydney, we have our own here in Chapel Street.


A pleasant aspect looking south along Chapel Street, not too far from the Yarra River. But, a developer wants to build a monstrous tower on the corner of Toorak Road and Chapel Street, pretty much at the end of this view. Blend in very nicely, won't it.


This is where the tower is to be built. This is now a restaurant, previous a bakery and before that a engine house for the Toorak Road and Chapel Street cable trams.


I was looking for something in my little treasure tin and I can't remember what now. I'd be no worse off just chucking it all away. It is all quite meaningless to anyone else but me. Unbelievably, my grandmother gave me a tin of Benson and Hedges cigarettes for my 18th birthday. The tin is little battered but a nice keepsake.


I could not get the camera to focus. It appeared to stay on long distance and I was surprised to get one usable photo of this bug. A couple of days later I remembered the camera has a manual macro setting.


Meat and salad baguettes in Centre Place at our usual cafe, only $5. Some places you would pay $9. They go up to $6 at weekends when more tourists are around.


A shabby but just gorgeous building in Elizabeth Street. Bit like me really.


The General Post Office, GPO, is not a place to conduct your postal business. Oh no, you go to a Post Shop to do that, where you may be tempted by all manner of products which have nothing to with the postal service. If you want expensive boutique shops and H & M, then the GPO is the place to go.

32 comments:

  1. Cockatoos can be so destructive but it's nice to have native birds in the city.

    The different baguette prices on weekends at Central Place seems a bit dodgy but,as you say, it's still cheaper than most places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, in our early days here they visited our balcony and got stuck into a plant and smashed the pot the plant was in. It was a massacre. I expect the cafe in Centre Place would explain it as the baguettes being discounted during the week. Even at $6, they are cheap.

      Delete
    2. $5 baguettes and they look delicious!

      Delete
  2. Great collection of images and stories rescued from your camera Andrew. Fancy Granny buying you a box of B&H for your 18th. Post Shops annoy me too ~ they sell some really tacky rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, can you imagine anyone buying cigarettes as a gift now! Tacky stuff indeed at the PO, but I can't help but looking at all while I am in a queue.

      Delete
  3. Sydney's GPO is of a similar design and is now like yours 'repurposed' to commercial outlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, Sydney's GPO tower is quite dominant, even among so many tall buildings. I recently saw some old tram footage, taken from the upper deck of double deck trams, which I did not know Sydney had. The tram was travelling in George Street and the GPO tower was very obvious,

      Delete
    2. There was only one double decker tram being tested for a few weeks. It wasn't a success as it was too slow to load compared the just arriving toast rack trams.

      Delete
  4. I am leaning towards a new camera myself. Mine is over ten years old, and getting a bit tired. It has done well though.
    The different price for tourists is something we experienced a lot in Asia. Not just weekends either.
    I love the variety you give us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is quite old for a camera. Just buy a new one and you will be amazed at how much better the picture quality is, not that there is anything wrong your photos (he hastened to add). Generally I don't mind paying higher prices in developing countries. I do have issues with charging western prices for accommodation though. I will try to get something written about the new camera today.

      Delete
  5. My camera finally died at about seven years of age and thousands upon thousands of photos taken. I got a used one just like it on ebay for not much money. I guess just because. I can't wait to hear about your new one, what its like. I love that glass pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, your photos are terrific, and with a fairly old camera. Perhaps it is the skill of the person behind the camera.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness that gorgeous Art Deco facade was preserved for the new fiats. The combination of old and new promises to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very nice building Craig. I suspect it was on a single title with the flats rented as it looked pretty bad inside. Maybe the 'front' rooms are original. I wish there was more of this recycling of buildings.

      Delete
  7. wonderful blogpost dear HRiser, something for everyone. great photos too, whatever you say about macro micro. my camera settings remain a mystery to me I confess. That Capitol Bakeries building was an amusement centre in 1978 with dodgem cars and WhackaMole the favourites of daughter and friends who forced me there to pay pay pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, was it subsequently a skating rink where Gayskate was held? We did go once and I ended up with a very wet bum.

      Delete
  8. The corner building that is now a restaurant and previous a bakery, is a very familiar landmark. But I had no idea that it was once an engine house for the Toorak Road and Chapel Street cable trams. How could anyone want/allow a tower to be built there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, maybe the frontage will be kept. I don't remember now. Your trivia for the day is Toorak Road cable trams only went as far as Irving Road, not Glenferrie Road as they now do.

      Delete
  9. My old camera died last year, my dear mother bought me a bright, shiny, red one that looks spectacular but takes absolute crap pictures... I've been relying solely on my cellphone for photos for several months now. Mayhap I should invest in another camera?
    Cockatoos are raucous Romeos, you can have 'em! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Jac. It depends on how old your phone is. Cameras phones are so good now, but as I say in my next post, I can't hold one still enough. Cockatoos enjoy their life and spend a good bit of time just playing.

      Delete
  10. I never use the Blogger upload thing, I always use Picasa web albums there you can upload everything and it is quicker ! We also have a lot of street works going on after the winter and that causes traffic jams !
    Nice pictures of your city and cute visitors !
    Spring has finally arrived here and I am happy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Gattina. Whenever I click on a photo of yours, it takes me to Picasa. As could be the case, maybe the photos display better by doing it that way. Your street works are probably weather related. Ours at this time of the year are often to use up unspent money before the next state and federal budgets are brought down.

      Delete
  11. I use fast image resizer to make images a more reasonable size for upload. I'll post a link to a safe place you can download it after this comment, in case you want to try it. You just drag the folder and drop it into the program, and it does the needful for you, you can choose where it puts the resized images and also what size you want.

    Be very careful to back up your images regularly on blogger/blogspot, in the past some bloggers have lost their images forever thanks to some Picasa and Google + screw ups. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, MS used to have a add on to the right click menu. I used that as I could highlight all photos, right click, resize, choose size from three options and it would happen, keeping the original too. MS no longer offers it but someone else did and it works the same. Selecting large size from the menu is good for blogging, reducing photos from a couple of mbs to 100 to 250kb.

      I am going to write a post about backing up photos. I am a little excessive and obsessive about it.

      Delete
  12. http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/ <-- the best thing is you can resize a large folder worth of pics with one simple drag and drop. :) It is a very simple little program and I love it manies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity is beauty.

      Delete
  13. Keep your little tin of treasures and have it buried with you. Several centuries from now an archaeologist will get a nice surprise and spend many happy hours trying to find the purpose of those bits and pieces, why they were so important as to be buried with you. Like a Pharoah and his gold and jewels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will do that River. I might take some self out and add some stuff. A tin made of tin will last for centuries, I am sure.

      Delete
  14. The pool is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susie, and it would be quite ruined by my shape being seen in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More gorgeous than shabby I'm sure Andrew :) It's amazing how many marvelous old post offices end up as high end shops.. still, better that they're used than abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, definitely better that they are used. We need to see more recycling of buildings, not just the very grand ones.

      Delete