Friday, April 03, 2015

Some entertainments

Strictly Ballroom was a quintessentially Australian movie. In its transition to a stage show, it is still quintessentially Australian and ever so madly camp. What else would you expect from a show about a dance competition. The cast were unknown to me but they were terrific. It was an performance of fun and laughter for us and I recommend the show.

We only decided to see it the night before and there weren't many seats to choose from. I am slowly coming to terms with what it costs to see something big on stage, but it ain't easy for me. Nevertheless, I said damn it. If I am going to spend such a huge amount on seeing a show and an extra $30 will get us good seats, so be it. Book it R. It was a Sunday matinee performance and I felt positively youthful among my fellow theatre patrons and our seats were good. No photos of course, but I took these two before the show started.



If one outing wasn't enough in a week, today we saw The Second Best Marigold Hotel at Como Cinema. We enjoyed it. It did not have the complexity of The Best Marigold Hotel, but was very entertaining. The lead character Sonny is just brilliant in his role, and with so many accomplished British actors, how could it go wrong, and it didn't. I sniggered to myself through most of the first half, with the latter half being more serious. Naturally tears flowed. Why do I get so emotional at movies/shows, less so in real life? You may well hear mixed reviews about the movie, not as good as the first etc, but if you liked the first one, you will enjoy the second.

16 comments:

  1. I loved the book of The Best Marigold Hotel, and can see I am going to have to see the movie(s) as well.
    Thanks Andrew.
    My eyes get a tad sweaty at books and movies too. And less often at life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you have an excuse in real life because of the volunteer work you do and the stories you must hear. You must have to harden yourself at times.

      Delete
    2. I have wept for and with our callers. And some of them haunt me. But yes, some days hard-hearted hannah has to come to the party.

      Delete
    3. It's a book too?

      Delete
    4. River, first I've heard of it being a book.

      Delete
  2. It's safer to get sweaty-eyed during a show, then in the midst of real life... or so I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, and I hope you don't mind me calling you that, we know we have to be strong and hard in real life. Especially the strong, as you are doing.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, I don't mind you calling me Jac one little bit, Jacqueline is a bit largish to be typing all the time. I'm squish as an old, rotten grape and cry at the drop of a hat... don't like it, it just happens. Then again, I've never been one to play it safe. Silly, but not safe.

      Delete
  3. Gosh what a good time you guys had. Loved the movie Strictly Ballroom years ago, and reply enjoyed TSBMH just as much as the first, the Bollywood dance scene at the end was faaaaabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, both were feel good things to see. Yes, Sonny looked very good on the floor.

      Delete
  4. The theatre decorations for Strictly Ballroom look similar to the Sydney production.

    We were a bit disappointed by the second Marigold film and found Dev Patel's performance this time around over the top. As my companion observed 'he chewed the scenery'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, isn't that he point of him? To be over the top? I thought he was terrific and while not superficially good looking, with his big ears, he had an appeal about him.

      Delete
  5. There's a Bollywood dance scene? That settles it. I have to see this movie. I'll go on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you really will enjoy and it will be a dollar or two well spent.

      Delete
  6. I can really relate to what you say about getting more emotional about shows than real life. I'm this way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, perhaps it works the other way too. That is people who don't get emo at such things are really softer people in real life. I am rather close to one such person, come to think of it.

      Delete