Monday, April 20, 2015

My Day(s)

Three days off work, what bliss. Day 1, Saturday, R had a volunteer work fundraiser, barbequeing sausages at a big green shed. I was up early and read and dealt with some blog posts. A load of washing was done and hung to dry.  I went into town and did some errands. Rested in the late afternoon, aka, R having a nap and me doing some blog stuffs and spending an hour cleaning the barbeque. Tidied some bookshelves and took some books down to our library and brought two back up.   Dinner with our Brother Friends and our NT ex pollie/policeman friend at our local hotel and they came back to the Highrise for coffee. Saw them off by 10pm and to bed.

Awake early on Sunday, only lightly dozed after 4am. It rarely happens but rain was beating strongly on my back window and kept waking me. Finally tired of dozing and rose at 6.30. More people had written more on the net to read and respond to. A load of washing in, and some stuff on the horse was dry and delivered to R's bedroom for ironing. Out for brunch and weekly shopping, normally done by R on Saturday. I wash my doona cover about once every three months. It is such hard work putting it back on. I did that and put the cover back on in three stages. More cleaning out wardrobes. Much to take down to the recycling room, including now, a very rare wine cork. To my surprise the cork bin was about 1/3 full. I can't help myself. I saw some people had put wrong things in recycling bins and I corrected the really obvious errors. The weather was just shite today, cold, heavy showers, gusts of wind. Another load of washing in and hung in the spare room to dry. I gathered together all my glasses. I will have a number for them after I have finished writing this. About five daily glasses. Three medium. Two strong. That makes ten. I think there was eleven.

Weird glasses and broken daily glasses to the cars for emergencies. Two pair. Glasses I wear all the time and two spares sorted. Big lens bathroom glasses returned to bathroom. Extra strong pairs there in abeyance but saved for the future.

2.30 Dyke friend arrives with Dog Jack, who we are looking after for a few days while she is going to funeral in Tasmania.

3.00 R and Jack asleep on bed and I wrote about cameras. I am slightly distracted by a noise in the background, the slow cooker in action, cooking lamb shanks for dinner.

5.18, wine o'clock.

6.00, commercial tv news

6.20 R asks if I could do a big favour and take Jack downstairs for a wee. I did. Chatted to ex mayor of Collingwood in the lift. Her friend's dog is afraid of the lift and has to be carried. Butch little Jack has no fear of lifts. Lifts always lead to a pleasurable dog experience for him.

7.00 pm, Proper news on tv. Last doona cover duty done, buttoning it up and shaking the feathers down to the bottom.

A very unfinished post, but as my blog is a diary, I just publish it with apologies. 

16 comments:

  1. Putting the quilt cover on is always a two person job in our house. We have a super king quilt with a super king quilt cover. :)

    It is huge and super difficult to put the cover on to, so I think they should add in the word super difficult king quilt cover.

    We need more truth in advertising, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, putting on the doona cover is the most horrible job but I have become better at it. But as against daily sheets, blankets and a bed spread, I know which I prefer.

      Delete
  2. Putting doona covers on alone can lead to much angst, I just need a hand to get the top two corners in and then I can go it solo from there :) I think it sounds like you had a very pleasant few days off Andres. Another long weekend coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, all practice I guess. I don't know how you could be helped when putting the doona into the top corners, unless to untangle you. No, working next weekend. Not even a public holiday on a weekday.

      Delete
  3. What a busy days.love from rainy turkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gosia, how disappointing. I hope it is better now.

      Delete
  4. Duvet covers are hell on earth. I actually prefer taking more time and doing it myself but Clive insists on helping which usually causes stern looks. Wine o'clock LOL. Some days it needs to be 4.30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I certainly agree, but they are so good to just pull up on a daily basis. My wine o'clock used to be 6pm, but it seemed I was starting later than most people.

      Delete
  5. Oh those covers. I employ a peg to hold the corners in place while I stuff the rest of it in. And frequently say a few words.
    The weather is a bit ordinary up this way too. Very, very windy. And not warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, there must be someone who can invent a better way of putting the cover on. The weather seems really bad on the coast.

      Delete
  6. I start with my doona cover inside out. Match the top corners, peg in place with a peg or large bulldog clip or large safety pin, then unroll the doona cover a bit at a time taking sides. Unroll a bit on the left, then a bit on the right...when finished hold the bottom corners and shake the feathers reasonably even before taking off the peg/bulldog clip/safety pin. I don't find it too much of a chore. But I need to get the doona itself washed. There's a laundromat close by that has big machines for quilts, but no signage saying which coins to use and how many, and there is never anyone in there to ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy River, that sounds like an awful lot of hard work and time consuming to boot. I met a woman in the lift who had her doona in her arms, to take it to the laundry to have it washed. I have seen prices of about $40 for them to do it.....or was that for two. She gets hers done about every 6 months, she said. I dare not tell her that my doona is around 30 years old and has never been washed. One day, I will get around to it. It certainly needs it, but as it is goose feathers, I wonder how it will go?

      Delete
  7. It sounds like more work than it is, it takes me about five minutes to get that cover back on.
    My doona, also feathers and down, is a similar age and I attempted one wash years ago, by stomping on it in hot soapy water in the bathtub. All I got from that was clumped feathers and badly stained doona from all the dust which I couldn't get out properly. Rinsing was a nightmare and I just couldn't squeeze enough water out of it. It hung on the line for a couple of weeks with me shaking up clumps of feathers every day trying to get it dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I certainly won't do it myself if that is the case.

      Delete
  8. Putting doonas on easily is one of my secret super powers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dinner invitation might be too much Fen, but drop in for coffee on doona cover washing day.

      Delete