Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Lovely to have visitors...

Little Jo visited us just after Easter. I may have a couple of readers who remember when I wrote about Sister's Christmas gift to Mother, a scan showing the foetus of Little Jo. Little Jo is almost eight years old now and will spend her birthday in Europe, with a trip to Paris Disneyland as her birthday present.

She brought with her the fossil, which Jah Teh gave me the info to find out what it was. How good is it to be surrounded by smart women.  Note, Little Jo sitting on my seat. I don't give it up easily and I make sure she knows how privileged she is to be in my seat. I always make sure I am in the computer seat when she arrives, and she kind of hovers, not saying she wants to use the the computer. Her Mother will roar at her, talk and chat to the gay uncles, but at the Highrise, she has google, which her internet connected home does not have!  It is always a battle to get her to bathe, but as you can see, she did and had her hair washed by R. She wants to grow her hair long. Sister and Bone Doctor want her to shave it as they will their own as a cancer research fundraiser. R made his opinion very firmly known about her being turned into the school oddity.

I had bought a couple of cheap calendars and she cut them up and made a door calendar. Sister said when they were leaving, you can keep that up until we next visit. Of course we said. 'Poor quality' adhesive was used and 'the wind' blew it all off next day.


ANZAC Day saw Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo attended the Queenscliff Dawn Service and then caught the ferry across the bay to Sorrento and then cycle to South Gippsland. I am not sure if Little Jo cycled or not.

In  other family news Hippie Niece and her partner (she is back with the Islander) stayed last Friday night and rose early on Saturday morning to attend the Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance. They forgot to take a key and when I woke at about 6.45 I sent her a text that I had unlocked the door and they should wait until someone enters or leaves the building to get in. I had no intention of getting out of bed. The both went back to bed and arose to smell of bacon, sausages and eggs being cooked by R. They left before noon and I went off to work.

30 comments:

  1. Andrew, it ia great opportunity to visit Paris.. It is a fantastic birthday present!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, while they live day to day modest lives, Little Jo will never have to worry about money. I hope she appreciates it.

      Delete
  2. I am impressed with your small girl caring skills
    Well done you big softie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, look who's talking about others being softies ya big marshmallow!

      Delete
    2. John, much credit goes to R. He is the one really good with children.

      Jac, yes I am well aware John is as softie. He would have done the same for the stray dog.

      Delete
    3. Point to Andrew, lol.

      Delete
  3. I agree with R about the head shaving. That is something that needs to be Jo's decision, not her parents. If they explain why it is done then Jo may decide to join in, but she shouldn't be made to just because they want her to.
    Had a giggle about the door calendar blowing away. My kids have my old fridge/freezer, (about 29 years old now and still working), on the doors are old pictures, scribblings and jokes done by the grandchildren when they were very young. Most of these are in texta and K doesn't want to lose this 'art' so the doors of the fridge/freezer haven't been washed in about 15 years. I wipe around the 'art' pieces now and again and wash the handles, but the appliances are looking quite grubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am sure they won't insist about the head shave. Yes, our fridge is a bit like that but things do come off every so often for a good clean. R has a folder where he stores most of Little Jo's art etc. I assume the calendar work went in there. Yes, the wind doesn't normally blow inside our apartment.

      Delete
    2. In this case the scribblings etc are directly onto the fridge/freezer doors. If they were on paper, I'd have them off and be scrubbing away, but nooooo...they're on the doors and they must stay. for heaven's sake! Those grands are now 19 and 21. but aunty K wants the fridge as is.

      Delete
    3. River, I get it now. Get the metho immediately and clean off the fridge. Directly on the white goods is inappropriate.

      Delete
  4. R has the right of it, about the shaven head, forcing it on her could well expose her to ridicule and cause her to resent the people/organisation her parents want to help.
    As much as you like practicing your 'crotchety' skills, you have a gentle heart. It's been my experience that quite often those with the tenderest of hearts cultivate a thorny exterior; self-protection really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, they are really terrific parents and they won't make her. My sister is her bio mother and Little Jo is as strong willed as her mother. You correctly state my personality does have a self protective streak, quite strong perhaps.

      Delete
  5. The joy of a young niece is that you get to see a new generation with its new skills and new priorities... grow up before your *cough* ageing eyes. I am in awe of my older grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, are they just not amazing. The things they know and can do compared to what I and perhaps yourself knew and could do at their age is incomparable.

      Delete
  6. Ah, Little Jo... As usual, I can't believe she is as old as she is. Seriously, the wind blew them away? I think that may have worked when she was 3 but at 8? What perfect uncles she has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, fingers crossed she will have forgotten about it when she is next here. Almost perfect is quite adequate, thanks.

      Delete
  7. Lucky young lady to visit Paris for her birthday.
    Interesting how she hovers around your computer and wanting to take your seat, with Google in mind, no doubt!
    I would let the wind blow those 'things' off my fridge too - I never have 'things' on my fridge door, never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, she knows Google can find whatever she wants. She has been kept in ignorance that if you have the net, you have google and on phones, tablets etc.

      I don't know what happened. We used to have a blank fridge door too. How have was got stuff on it now?

      Delete
    2. Not sure what you mean Andrew....a typo i think....
      Margaret

      Delete
    3. Indeed, how has the fridge got stuff on the door now when we kept it bare for so many years.

      Delete
  8. Did Little Jo borrow your onesie too Andrew? An ideal way to enjoy a child - let her go home after her stay. A win-win situation I'd say? Paris for her birthday, I wonder what next years big day will bring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smartie, they are pyjamas. While I am often to be found in my dressing gown a bit too late into the morning, once I am showered, I am properly dressed until I go to bed that night. I never wear track suits and I rather dislike them. As for onsies, rolling my eyes. Ah yes, always happy to say bye-bye. Something not quite so lavish as Paris next year, I hope.

      Delete
    2. I'm the same. If I'm up, then I need to be properly dressed. I don't own a track suit and while I quite approve of them on younger men, I don't think that they are appropriate for us less young uns.

      Delete
    3. Craig, I don't understand this British fetish with sports wear. I know well the sports gear that turns gay guys on. I just don't get it. How much better they would look in skinny jeans.

      Delete
  9. Little Jo is adorable .. Thank goodness R saved her hair, it's a wonderful cause but nooooo, she's got plenty of time ahead for this generous donation :) Paris, lucky little treasure, I bet she loves it!
    P.s. yes Andrew, there were many muscled and tattood going men around Fremantle and Perth, sailors ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I hope she 'appreciates' Paris, if you know what I mean. Not every child has the opportunity of visiting one of the world's great cities.

      5,000 is an awful lot of sailors to be let loose in Perth and Fremantle.

      Delete
  10. Little Jo is very creative.

    Btw...Didn't you also have a dog visitor recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, for about five days while Jack's mum went to an interstate funeral.

      Delete
  11. I have one drawing from Pippa on my fridge, it needs updating. I might put my own colouring on the fridge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a niece and a nephew Fen. Your fridge should soon be covered. Forget your own rubbish.

      Delete