Wednesday, April 01, 2015

I'll bookmark that

Or save it to Favourites, depending on which browser you use. I bookmark very little on the net now. Auto complete brings up things I have looked at in the past and google quickly finds what I want to know. But I do have a large book mark file dating back to the mid nineties when we first went on the net.

I remember our friend in Japan showing me the Amazon site, so many years ago. Like me, she is a long time internet user and also like me, she does not need to know what makes a computer work, it just should. And by golly, compared to the nineties, computers work really well. And who would have thought you could do computer things on a phone or something the size of a school room slate?

Now, I wrote that a while ago and I can't recall where I was going with  the post, but I can link it to an exhibition I recently saw at the Old Treasury Building. The exhibition is called School Days and covers the state's education system, especially the setting up of free secular education for all. It was quite interesting. Read the photo captions to find the link and see a very early iPad.

A train crash about to happen between the Denominational (religious) Train and the National (secular) Train.


Such beautiful writing.


I remember blotters but not blotting pads with such a pretty cover.


I was once a member of the Gould League and I had the same certificate, or nearly the same.


Inside a school desk. A bank passbook. How quaint. Mother still uses one.


What is this? An iPad? That's what I thought it was when I saw it. Of course it is a slate to write on with chalk. Isn't the shape so similar to a tablet computer.


Nearby to the Old Treasury Building is the Stanford Fountain. From being a prisoner he went on to become a respected stone mason.


The fabulous Windsor Hotel. The Indonesian family who own the hotel wants to restore it and build a very tall building behind it. Bah!


It appears there may be a wedding reception to happen inside. Where is the doorman? I saw him there but he is not in the photo.


Lamps at the front of the State Parliament building.


Some of the State Parliament building.


That was enough kulcha for the day. Tram back to Swanston Street. Green Pepper and Red Pepper side by side. Green Pepper has tableclothes and Red Pepper does not.


23 comments:

  1. Andrew, the parlaiament buyilding is nice but I love the fantastic hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the parliament building is far better than the politicians deserve. Yes, the Windsor is very grand.

      Delete
  2. Do today's school students know of carbon paper and blotting paper? Oh, the changes from our youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unlikely Victor. I still have some carbon paper. I could print the same document twice through the printer. That would be useful. Or I could just use the print multiple copies button.

      Delete
  3. You are so right about the early tablet.
    My bad-tempered self believes that a back alley, complete with overflowing dumpster is better than our politicians deserve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, so many would agree with your opinion about politicians.

      Delete
  4. I am a heathen, I can't stand iPads and such... much rather have the slate! Don't mess with my computer however, you might disturb the magic which makes it work.

    I love these photos, older buildings have a character to them which most bland new structures simply cannot attain. Fountains are incredibly attractive to me, an irresistible temptation in fact... my inner kidling just can't seem to resist dabbling her toes, or at the very least, fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, your computer must be a very finely tuned and delicate beast. I was a late starter with tablet computers and only really have one for when we travel. They are so much easier when 'on the road'.

      Melbourne has quite a number of nice fountains. I wonder if anyone has photographed them all. Maybe for me to do in my old age.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, if I don't keep my tongue poked in my cheek at juuust the right angle, the 'puter fairies refuse to do their job, lol.

      Old age? You're still a whippersnapper... but I might skip along behind you and dabble my toes in the fountains.

      Delete
  5. ahhh that is so nostalgic - school room slates, chalk, blotter, ink wells (but only when you were big enough to be given a pen and nib) and desks with lids :)

    I read last week that Finlandish schools were no longer teaching their pupils to handwrite because... there was no need any longer. Pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I read that too. As someone who is losing the ability to write, I have some sympathy for not teaching writing, but I can't see the day when we will never have to write and so I think it should be taught.

      Delete
  6. I remember those little wood framed slate boards. I had one as a child, we all did, not in school though, I'm not that old. You could buy them in toy Shops back then, they came with a little package of white chalk, another package of coloured chalk and a felt duster with wooden handle backing.
    guess what we did with them? We played schools of course. (*~*)
    nice kulcha walk today, I like the fountain, (I like all fountains) and those lovely old lamps outside the State Parliament building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you the headmistress River? Old lamps are another thing that appeals to me.

      Delete
  7. The buildings look good, you have captured them well. Bookmarks for me seem to be a thing of the past, it's usually quicker to type what you want than try and find the bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, that is exactly what I am finding with bookmarks but I certainly would not want to lose my old ones.

      Delete
  8. I wish I could leave it to Magic, the computer and how it works. I don't feel right unless I can take something to pieces and know why. But the computers have for the most part stymied me. The music progression from vinyl to 8 track to cassette to CD to digital file, I could never keep up, financially, with the swift changes. Now I have no music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, somehow I noticed you are a pull it apart person. Modern things are so much harder to repair now, but if I think I can, I will have a go. I don't think you miss much without music.

      Delete
  9. I still have a long list of bookmarked sites Andrew, if there's a new way of doing anything technical you can be sure I won't be onto it :) Enjoyed your trip today, think I'll dine in Green Pepper, I rather like a crisp white table cloth :) p.s. don't give up on finding me in the first shot, clue.. there's a lady in a green jumper in my hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I guess the prices between the Green and Red are quite different. Table clothes cost money. I did intend re-visiting, to see if anyone else is as hopeless as me.

      Delete
    2. keeping those tablecloths pristine and crisp costs even more money!

      Delete
    3. Especially when Indian or Asian food is involved.

      Delete
  10. I'm a bookmark boy. Especially using chrome (which I love) as it shares your bookmarks automatically between devices (if you wish). Very convenient. The Windsor is lovely. I'll take 3 nights please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, Firefox does that too but it was a bit complicated to make happen and it is not instantaneous, that is if I add a bookmark here, it takes time to go to my tablet. On this desktop, I use Firefox, R uses IE (so we don't have to log in out all the time) and I make sure Little Jo uses Chrome, where I have put her bookmarks and she shouldn't come across anything questionable in history etc. The Windsor is a very old world style hotel and very nice.

      Delete