Thursday, April 02, 2015

Happy Easter

Someone at work wished me Happy Holidays. I am outraged. I celebrate Easter as part of Australian and my family culture. I am not a believer in any religion, as I am sure you have worked out. Nevertheless, saying Happy Easter or Merry Christmas bothers me not the least. It is a lovely thing to hear. Happy Holidays is not so lovely to hear when I am mostly working over Easter. The well wish came from a Jewish person. Perhaps it is a case of treat others are you would like to be treated, so I will wish him Happy Holidays and not Happy Passover. I suppose some people take all this seriously, but I am afraid I do not.

I feel like writing. Let me tell you about yesterday. R suggest we go to the movies the night before. I wasn't keen and had firmed my resolve by the morning. We wanted a couple of hardware items, so I suggested we go to the big green shed in Port Melbourne and then Sputino Cafe at Station Pier for some lunch.

On the list was methylated spirits that for some reason every supermarket we go to had run out of. Some hard rubber that could be cut down to glue to the leg of the balcony table to stop it rocking. And possibly a new shower head for R's bathroom. The car was low on petrol and thinking the price would go up over Easter, best to buy some now.

We did get the hard rubber, in a metal door stop with a rubber tip. The shower head was problematic. Unbelievably we forgot the metho.

We had at nice lunch at Station Pier. On a nice day, it always a pleasant place to dine. We watched kiddies playing in the cafe cubby house, the trams come and go, and people wandering around. Looming above us was the Spirit of Tasmania, resting before reloading to make its overnight trip to Tasmania.

R, I saw Trade Link on the way here. We went there after lunch, but unless you want to pay a couple of hundred dollars for a shower head, forget it. I wasn't game to ask in the tradie area if they had metho. On to Reeces Kitchen and Bathroom. Same thing, very expensive. I realised we were close to Woolworths supermarket in South Melbourne. R, go to the supermarket and see if it has metho. He walked off while I left the Reece car park to park at Woolworths car park. Around I went, no parking. Down I went, no parking. I will call R and tell him to meet me outside in the street but in the meantime I need to have my parking ticket dealt with at a machine. Can't call R. No phone signal underground. Have I ever mentioned how I hate this sort of thing? Like driving around looking for a car space, especially if it is in a large shopping centre. I could feel my blood pressure rising and some sweating. Lordy, we could have caught the tram to Prahran and gotten everything there in local shops for local people.

Miraculously, as I validated my parking ticket, R walked out the door to the carpark, with the metho. Enough! I am out of here. I vant to be home and then I totally forgot about getting petrol. 

We had plans for Good Friday, a train trip to Stony Point for a picnic with a couple of friends. Alas, the line has been shut down for safety reasons. Thanks Metro Trains.Your maintenance is so bad that a train line has to be shut down?

Well, I suppose it all wasn't too bad. Happy Easter to you.

26 comments:

  1. What movie did R want to see?

    I'm thinking of going to see Cindarella, because I like me a big foofy dress or few. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, key words, India, Hotel, Marigold.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, tell R it isn't a patch on the original.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Victor. I am really looking forward to the movie now.

      Delete
  2. I'm never too bothered by what Happy or Merry people wish me, unless it's Happy I'm Now Gonna Beat The Crap Outta Ya Day. That I'd have to object to.. Vociferously.

    Control freak, eh? Methinks you need a younger sister. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, methinks I already have one who is a control freak.

      Delete
  3. Happy holidays sounds American....My husband is so very lucky with parking, he always managers to get parked not far from where we want to go. Even today, I wanted to go to the bank, someone drove off and he parked there right out the front....Happy Easter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, my oldest niece drove us to a show in town a while ago. We would have caught the tram. I had visions of her circling for hours looking for a space and then using a commercial car park. No, she headed to the theatre and pulled up in a space right outside.

      Delete
  4. Darling Andrew,

    We have to confess that we had quite some trouble following all of this, save to say that there did seem to be an inordinate concentration on rubber. That we did find odd! We must have been absent for far too long as it would appear that we have completely lost the plot.

    Whatever, we do so hope that R is enjoying long and leisurely or fast and furious showers now that all is fixed. In our experience, which is of course severely limited in the realms of all things practical, one can never complete one job around the house without creating several more in the process. So much safer and less expensive to stay at home without ever venturing out.

    Wishing you and R and all the down unders a joyful Eastertide if that does not cause outrage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, normally we would have some spare rubber lying about, but it appeared there was none at the moment. Alas the shower is not repaired and after ten minutes from when it was used, it sags terribly and drops its contents into the bath. Yes, it is a matter of fixing the most important, or rather the most annoying.

      How could anyone be outraged at words from your good selves.

      Delete
  5. How funny, I was just thinking of getting a new shower head, not encouraging to hear that they're so expensive.. As for car parks, you have to remain calm.. if you loose you're cool it's all over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is a simple shower head required, with a flow restrictor that can be removed. I try to avoid going to such places in the car. I become quite murderous.

      Delete
  6. P.s. happy non religious Easter weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parking in such situations = instant and rabid argument at our end. I don't drive in cities... that's why public transportation was invented. Oddly enough, Easter weekend is when UK mainline maintenance is also done - lots of warnings here for restricted services this weekend. Happy E you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that Craig. A pity more people aren't. Yes, much the same here at Easter for railway work.

      Delete
  8. So Happy Weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, Happy Easter is fine with me.

      Delete
  9. Some people have been kissed by the parking fairy. Both my partner and his sister can always find a park very close to where they want to go. Except when they can't when they are miffed to the max.
    And a very Happy Easter to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, some people are just like that, see comment to WA above. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. I thought Easter was last Sunday. Nobody said Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, that's because they are afraid of you and your reaction if they get it wrong :-P

      Delete
  11. I was once greeted by a neighbour with 'happy season'. Just nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is Victor. I don't wish people anything unless I know it will be appreciated.

      Delete
  12. Try Bunnings for a cheaper shower head. Metho sells out quickly everywhere, a lot of people use it for household cleaning. A little on a damp cloth, wipe the surface to be cleaned, ta-da! done,The smell dissipates really quickly and the surface is left germ free. What did you want it for?
    I prefer Happy Easter, Merry Christmas etc. Happy Holidays is a bland blanket term designed to not offend anyone. Doesn't seem fair to me. If we're all going to get along and respect others beliefs and cultures, we should be able to say the words we grew up with, and of course 'they' can too. Do we want a vibrant multicultural world? Or one where everyone is exactly the same so no one is offended? The offence is something I simply don't understand.
    I plan on seeing a movie this coming Sunday: Tinkerbell and the Legend of the Neverbeast. I'll be catching the bus, no parking worries for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that's where we were. The simple one has doubled in price and I don't think you can remove the flow restrictor now. I agree with your about a bland world that would come from Happy Holidays.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, we use metho mainly for window cleaning.

      Delete