Friday, April 17, 2015

Cream in my Coffee

I miss all the terrific tv plays we used to see, mostly from the BBC. I am thinking Laurence Olivier in A Voyage Round my Father, The Norman Conquests series, The Singing Detective....the list is long. It was Jacqueline wot did it when she reminded me of this when she posted a clip of Marlene Dietrich singing You're the Cream in my Coffee. This is a clip from the terrific tv play Cream in my Coffee, written by the brilliant late Dennis Potter, and starring the late Lionel Jefferies and the wonderful Dame Peggy Ashcroft.

This is the final 7 minutes of the play and it has a quite intense finish. Vaguely from what I can remember having first seen it some 35 years ago, near to their wedding when they were young, she got drunk one evening and spent a night with the band vocalist who sings Cream in my Coffee. He was a thorough cad who just took advantage of her. In the recent scenes, clearly the Jefferies character is remembering her inappropriate behaviour at the same venue. Something like that, anyway. I think the external of the hotel used is the Grand Hotel in Brighton. Perhaps JayLa may confirm. The modern music......no wait, 1970s music, may not be to your taste, but I don't mind it at all.


15 comments:

  1. Andrew a great video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you enjoyed it Gosia.

      Delete
  2. A sad little snippet. Or perhaps that is just where my mind is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is quite sad. The ending does not do the whole play justice though. It was very finely worked.

      Delete
  3. A fashion statement with the hair of the singer in the video...I hadn't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I have seen similar but it is quite unusual. I like it.

      Delete
  4. Seven minutes? I'll pass. It seems too many video clips are chewing through my data allowance at a great rate of knots.
    I'm sure it's wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgiven River. Btw, how much is your date allowance?

      Delete
    2. I pay $139 for 15GB and it used to last me 7 months or more, now it's been running out after only 3 months, because of things like youtubes and sending/receiving photos etc. I can't afford to pay up too often so I have to cut back my time online.

      Delete
    3. That seems a bit on the expensive side. It is very like comparing apples and oranges, but we get 100gb a month for less than that.

      Delete
  5. The Singing Detective is one of the best television series ever made. The performances and music were superb. Indeed for us it started a long term affection for music from the 30's and 40's. Talking of excellent series, we're watching the original Israeli series on BBC at the moment called "Hostages". Have you seen it? Riveting. Unfortunately the series link on our PVR stopped at 4 episodes for some unknown reason and there are 10! It's available to rent on DVD so we can see the completion thank goodness. I recommend it when it comes to you (or perhaps it already has). Don't be fooled by the American remake with your own Toni Collette - not a patch on the originally apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, yes Singing Detective was brill. Golly, I think we bought the vinyl record of the music. I don't know of this Hostages you speak of. I will keep my ears pricked. Maybe on pay tv here and we don't have that. I have no desire to see the American version of the brilliant House of Cards, so it is unlikely I would watch the American version, no matter that they great actor Toni is in it.

      Delete
  6. So I get the blame for this, do I? Cool!
    I remember the '70's music and fashion... do I get extra points for having had a similar hairstyle to the (male) lead singers? Mine was black and red, rather than black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and btw, the Indiana Theatre that was shown on that post, just found the original Rocky Horror film that they used at their midnight showings. Good times!

      Delete
    2. Jac, I would have been disappointed to learn that you never had such 'interesting' hair. Good about the original film, except it won't compare well to a digital remaster.

      Delete