Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Crazy Consumerism

We are really good consumers and it sticks in my throat that just over four months ago we replaced our troublesome cordless telephone with a new one and we were not happy with it and have now bought another. If you scroll to the bottom of this post, you can see the old new phone.

So, what was wrong with the old new phone? It had bluetooth, which downloaded the numbers from our mobile phone books and I think the idea is we could use our mobiles through the landline. We never did, not even to test it out. The phone and the answer system were both quite good though and for $50, the phone was a bit of a bargain but note, it is branded by our mega telephone company Telstra, and I will go for the conspiracy theory. It rang for a very short time, about five rings before the answer machine answered (yes, that was the maximum), meaning we often had to call people straight back and while most of our calls are free, they aren't for everyone and Telstra has now turned one call into two.

The ring volume was also quite low, so we just did not hear the phone if we weren't in the same room. It could announce the name of the person calling if they were in the phone book, but as our Friend in Japan will attest, it mucks that up too, with my brother name being said when it was Mother calling. So we had a soft ringing phone that rang for a very short time. We became fed up with it. I was considering plugging the old cord phone pictured in the linked post above into the unused socket in my bedroom but I did not want anything more on  my bedside table and it is ugly anyway. It could have sat under the bed, I suppose, but that would muffle its ring and still the short ring out time would be a problem.

So we went phone shopping again and got it right this time. We were quite prepared to return the phone if it did not meet our expectations, but it has. It rings about nine times, with the traditional Australian ring tone of ring ring, pause, ring ring, and the ring is quite loud enough. There are a multitude of different ring tones and was fun to go through them once. The answer machine is built into it and it had a very instinctive menu and may I say, I think it is quite elegant, or attractive at least.

Meanwhile our phone contracts for our two year old Samsung Galaxy 3 mobiles are about to expire. Will the phone retailer once again call us with an offer of a new phone on the same plan? A just released Galaxy 6 would be rather nice.

In case you doubtful about this post because of the date on the phone, don't be.




25 comments:

  1. Sigh. I suspect you are right about Telstra's wicked money making ways...
    Good luck on the new phone contracts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, Telstra's default length of rings for mobiles is short too. You have to ring them to have it extended.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, looks nice but we people of 21st century need new gadgetes I know it personally... Just consumerism...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fond of gadgets, Gosia.

      Delete
  3. You know my thoughts about Telstra.

    It seems to me that the reception of a call to/from a cordless phone is often variable; if not poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I don't think we have ever had issues like that. In early days of cordless phones the call quality was very poor, especially noticeable if you switched to a fixed phone.

      Delete
  4. I too had a soft ringing phone that only rang about 5 times everyone complained I was never home when they rang so I went back to the old one.
    It has huge numbers on it rings that loud I can hear it out in the street and doesn't stop until I answer it, works a lot better but now I get too many crank calls never heard them before.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a disadvantage Merle. How loudly did really old phones ring in my youth. No one could ignore the phone.

      Delete
  5. That's a nice looking phone and looks like it doesn't take up much space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is very neat.

      Delete
  6. My neighbour P has an old cordless that rings really loudly. She often gets calls after I've gone to bed and I can hear her phone even with a pillow over my head. to get better reception, she'll take the phone outside while listening and talking, very annoying. I think she doesn't sleep much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, why don't people understand the impact of the actions. Surely a fool could see that talking loudly on a phone at night might disturb some people.

      Delete
    2. I think she might be a sandwich short of a picnic.

      Delete
    3. A kangaroo short in the top paddock?

      Delete
  7. We have a Panasonic system with the base station with built in answering machine and then 4 "satellite" phones scattered around the mansion. You can't go wrong with Panasonic so good choice on your part I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, we used to have a second handset but we never used it. If our place was like yours, I expect we would have more handsets.

      Delete
  8. Well at least you have a phone now that is satisfactory....I don't know how long our phone rings. It's a Teltra one, the one that is theirs that we pay rent on. We have two handsets from Telstra also, they are dreadful but we don't use them as we use our mobiles.....
    Samsung 6 sounds and looks good...and of course when a new phone always a new plan that is slightly different....always costs a few dollars more when upgrading..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There...oh dear!

      Delete
    2. WA, we are not great bargainers, but we were very stubborn when be last upgraded our mobiles and eventually the retailer allowed us new phones on our old plans. A month later, a new phone was released, so I don't think he did too badly. But this one has just been released, so we may well have to pay more.

      Delete
  9. We don't have a landline anymore, the phones would only last a year (and at that, they were seldom used) so we switched to mobile only. With frequent power outages, they make better sense in any case.
    The simple lines of your new phone are always classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, like many people we only keep the landline for my mother who dislikes calling mobiles and also it doesn't really cost us anything.

      Delete
  10. My landline is so scratchy I don't answer the phone anymore if it rings. I should just do away with the phone for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, as long your gran is not averse to calling mobiles, you should.

      Delete
    2. I told her just to ring my mobile, let it ring a couple of times, then I'll call her back. Easy.

      Delete
    3. Fen, so logical, but logic does not work with my mother.

      Delete