Friday, April 24, 2015

Boring repeat post, please skip

Taken with the new camera, which stabilises the film much better than the old camera.

Tapping Man often requires repairs which leads to him going missing for periods, but he has returned to Haigh's Chocolate Ship in The Block Arcade. His purpose was to attract customer's attention in the street by tapping on the window with his stick. He was not connecting with the glass on this day. He was first installed the tailor shop L. P. Alexanders in the 1930s.



Here are a couple of videos comparing the old and new camera. These are Gog and Magog, found in Melbourne's Royal Arcade. Between them is the associated clock and an explanatory display, saying

These two 7-feet giants have been striking the time on Gaunt's clock since 1842. They were carved from clear pine and modelled on the figures erected in Guildhall, London, in 1708 to symbolise the conflict between the ancient Britons and the Trojan invaders. Mythology tells of the giants Gog and Magog (also known as Corineus and Gogmagog) having been captured in battle by the Trojans and made to serve as porters at the gateway of an ancient palace on a site later occupied by the Guildhall. It is traditional for Gog to stand to the north and Magog to the south.

Well, I don't know which is which as they are standing east west. I'll say Gog is on the left.


The old video, where I happened to walking through at about 1pm. Note, Gog strikes once and Magog strikes once.



The latest video taken with the new camera. It is very odd. Gog strikes four times and Magog twelve times. As it was twelve noon, ok, but what is with the four chimes? Or in the above video, one chime left and one chime right? Is it the month being struck? Four for April? No, the above one was taken in June or July. Mystery. I will say the performance in understated, but people passing do stop to watch.



21 comments:

  1. I'll have to show the video to the Great Scot, my sweetheart will be fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, even if you weren't.

      Delete
    2. I suppose it could be read that way, although it wasn't meant that way- I don't share things with the GS that I find boring.

      Delete
  2. Andrew the man who attracts consumers is lovely. In my opinin your new camera is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, he is cute and still attracts attention in these modern times.

      Delete
  3. Your new camera is very clear, much better than the other one. Lots of chatter and you did hold the camera very still or was it on something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, me hold anything still? Most unlikely. No, the camera wasn't on anything except my shaky hands, so that is why I am quite impressed with it.

      Delete
  4. Love The Block Arcade!!!! Love it! I have written about every exclusive shopping arcade on the planet, and Melbourne still compares favourably. Even the coffees and the chocolates are sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Hels. It is a very special part of Melbourne and Royal Arcade isn't too bad either.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous looking arcade, I like Gog and Magog too. Can't picture myself hanging about waiting for them to strike though, unless I was sitting in a coffee shop nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we often walk through the arcade, but both times I was on my own at just the right time. Sheer co-incidence, although Gog and Magog did not do that stuff until about two past the hour.

      Delete
  6. Andrew,
    I think you are right in putting Gog to the left as the Melbourne Road Grid is not exactly North-South/East-West - the eastern end of Collins (and all other EW streets) is somewhat north of their western ends, at least according to Melways and Google. So, assuming Gog and Magog stand parallel with Collins Street, the one on the left is the further north by a millionth of a degree. Or thereabouts.
    All hail to the status quo!
    BTW, does your new camera have an anti-shake feature? Mine does, makes taking pictures in 10x zoom a lost less fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I thought it might be something like that as I know our city streets don't run parallel to the compass points. Yes, the camera has anti shake, as did the old one but this one seems to be better.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure the anti-shake will improve over time - problem is, with someone like me, will it improve faster than my steadiness decreases? Yes, my iterations of my camera seem (to me) to mean the anti-shake on my new camera with 10x mag seems better than on the old camera with only 4x mag.
    On the other hand, if I rest my elbows on something solid then there's no problem at any magnification with any camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, yes, resting elbows is good. We can adapt to our declining physical state.

      Delete
  8. I like the tapping man - very clever marketing from the old days. The clock and arcade are lovely and not a shake in sight. Most impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I did hear there was another operational one made around the same time but in another shop. I expect there would have been these devices in the UK too.

      Delete
  9. Could 4 chimes be for the full hour and 12 times for the actual time of day?

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought Friko, except in the old video when it is 1pm, the one that struck four in the new video only struck once.........or maybe I only caught it striking once. You could be correct.

      Delete
  10. Love the tapping gentleman Andrew. Gosh 7ft tall..Gog and Magog must be pretty impressive to see up there tapping away at their bells but I have no explanation whatsoever as to their unequal share of the action :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace, just as well they are so high up as if they were close to the ground, I am sure they would scare children.

    ReplyDelete