Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sydney Day 6 Monday

Monday morning, our last day saw us again on the 380 bus into town, a whole two stops actually. We were conserving our energy for a walk of unknown difficulty. We were off to Balmoral Beach in Mosman, described by some as Sydney's most beautiful beach. There is only one bus an hour to the beach, so we were in the city in good time. I knew which York Street bus stand to use but looking at the information at the stand, I felt no confidence and checked with staff in a booth. She assured me it was the correct stand. We had ten minutes to spare and this poster amused me. A New South Wales state election is soon to happen and lobby groups are trying to prevent the government selling off the electricity distribution poles and wires, or the maintenance of them at least. In Victoria's experience, no good has come from privatising our power system. 

We ducked in for a quick wander in the Queen Victoria Building. It really is amazing and in spite of it being restored quite a few years ago, it is holding up well.



I only included this blurry photo because the staircase fascinated me.



Over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 244 bus we travelled, along the congested Military Road and before you know it, we were in Middle Head Road and getting off the bus. I had planned this trip quite carefully, but I was thrown by the beginning of Mulbring Street being called The Tar. At the end of The Tar, steps led us down to Mulbring Street and a steep descent. 'We don't have to walk back up do we?" R queried. His knees were giving him problems. "Trust me. As if I would do that." A photo looking at the impressive Mosman housing. Balmoral Beach on Hunters Bay is part of Mosman.


Oh, I thought it would be big open parkland. Instead it is a narrow bush track. Light rain began to fall, so I was glad of the protection the trees gave us. It was a nice walk but there were always a bit of a house in sight.


What have we here? A man made cutting. Why?


Ah ha. A tram to Balmoral Beach ran through the cutting. Much of its convoluted route is now housing but its path through the cutting leading down to the beach remains. This isn't original track.


Pity this is so out of focus. You will just have to go back to my 2008 post to read a little about the tram to Balmoral Beach. There is a map in the post too, so you can see where we walked.


Almost at the centre of the photo is metal work driven into the rock to support the electric overhead wires.


Most beautiful Sydney Beach? Not on an overcast day. It was rather nice though.



It was calm and so peaceful in the wealthy and white enclave. Even if you were several metres away from the road, if you turned towards it, a motorist would stop in case you may want to cross the road.


This building in the distance grabbed my eye, roughly north of the beach. Anyone know what it is?


You need serious money to live in one of the beachside residences.




This is Rocky Point, opposite to where the tram line ended in Mandelong Road after running along the beach front.


Lovely big trees grow in the parkland along the beach.


A walkway across to Rocky Point. I guess there is water under the bridge at high tide.


Bathers Pavillion.


Billy was a local dog and seen daily in the streets with his owner. When Billy died, local people funded this memorial to him.


A fine rotunda.


We puzzled a bit at the high rise towers across the water, to the left of this photo. Once we saw the two large ferries, we realised it was Manly. It was nearing lunch time, but R seemed disinclined to eat at one of maybe three cafes. Instead we bought an icecream and drink from the beach kiosk.


No, we did not have to walk back up the hill to catch the bus. The 245 bus terminus is the old tram terminus and we weaved and climbed our way up from the beach and quickly arrived back in the city. Do you fancy having a look at the World Square shopping centre, I asked R? We could have a spot of lunch there. Long was the site of World Square a hole in the ground, viewable from the defunct monorail. Hmm, bit of a walk. We could get a bus? No, we will walk. Later when looking at something bus related, I realised the free 555 bus runs along George Street from the Quay to Central. Nothing wrong with walking though.

Generally I think Sydney has done a better job of keeping its old buildings, but it is just my impression.


Graffiti, or graffiti on a mural.


Well, it was just after Mardi Gras.



World Square was not quite where I thought it was, and we walked around a block to get to it. We had an unremarkable lunch in a unremarkable shopping centre.

The evening again saw us at the Lord Roberts Hotel for dinner. Even Monday night, it was busy enough.

The next morning we were packed and ready to leave far too early. There had been a delay on the train line to the airport, but we didn't have to wait too long. Our flight was a little late leaving and about 15 minutes late arriving at Melbourne. We were still within our parking time limit. As always, nice to be home.


34 comments:

  1. Andrew, Iove all your photos but the best is monument of dog. The park and nature is intersting..A lot of rotnds there are in Poland and they are similar.. to ours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog is nice Gosia. This rotunda is not a really old one so it is not very ornate.

      Delete
  2. So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu.

    Until you visit again......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall be back, Victor.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for taking us to Sydney with you. I agree with you about the Queen Victoria Building. It is gorgeous. Last time I was there (many years ago) the shops in it were pricey, but the charm of the building is very, very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I had my third worst cup of coffee ever in QVB. We did not have one bad cup of coffee during our holiday this time. QVB is a treasure, but has a lot of lookers and no so many buyers, I think.

      Delete
    2. Agreed EC

      Years ago I crawled all over QVB and took photos even where I wasn't supposed to. It is still gorgeous now but imagine how spectacular it must have looked to Sydneysiders in 1898.

      http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/elegant-shopping-qvb-sydney.html

      Delete
    3. Hels, before I started reading your, I think. Off to take a look now.

      Delete
  4. Your gubmint wants to sell off the electric doin's.
    Don't let'em! don't let 'em!
    I'll be back to read the rest of your post later, right now I'm off to the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topical for you too in SA River. Will we get a movie review?

      Delete
    2. No full review. Movie was sillier, so funnier than expected, with a little emotion thrown in. The usual "different cultures can still be friends" thing. The movie was "Home" with Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper Big Bang Theory) doing the voice of "Oh".
      Only four viewers in the entire theatre, myself, and a grandma with two children.

      Delete
  5. I like the old buildings, but don't like the billboars on them, ruins the look.
    Nice town houses, hanged if I know why they are so expensive for a view of the water, maybe in some areas...I suppose people are prepared to pay. Thanks for the tour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, it is a very nice area. So quiet and peaceful, with the lovely beach yet so close to the city really.

      Delete
  6. I do like looking at beachside mansions and I like the bathers pavilion a lot.
    The "best beach in Sydney"? meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I wonder if hoards from nearby suburbs descend on the beach when weekends are warm? Perhaps not to the degree they do to Maroubra. You really can't beat Bondi Beach.

      Delete
  7. Love the mansions as long as I don't have to live there; cheek by jowl for far too much money is not my style, lol. A pity the weather wasn't more cooperative whilst you were at the beach. Sydney really is a lovely place, but it had to be a relief to get home!

    The jacket on the left just screams Mardi Gras, doesn't it... wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, such a place is not for me. The ever so polite bastion of the white middle class is boring.

      The inner eastern suburbs of Sydney during Mardi Gras are crazy.

      Delete
  8. That parking time limit thing would cause me way too much stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, you get an hour's grace at arriving or leaving. What you have to do is correctly is work out is how long it will take you to get to your car and how late your flight might generally be.

      Delete
  9. Mosman seemed to be almost too beautiful - does that make sense? Clipped to within an inch of itself. Don't get me wrong, I think that the residents there are very lucky (rich) people, but I do wonder if it might be a little Stepfordesque? The QVB looks birlliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I haven't seen the movie, but I could hardly not be aware of what it was about. I don't particularly know the demographics of the beach area, but I suspect it is mostly older and wealthy retired people. Mosman itself, away from the beach is more eclectic but still a place for the comfortable types.

      Delete
  10. I have really enjoyed your posts it felt like I was tagging along with you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, your company would have been most welcome. I know you would have been interested in some of things we saw.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you kept busy throughout the trip.
    Lots to see, lots to do, but oh how nice it is to get back to the old homestead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko. Busy but nicely paced. We don't always focus on the man made environment, but in the middle of a big city, what else to do. Yes, good to be home.

      Delete
  12. I am so content to stay home right now and yet your photos give me that bug to travel yet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, all the beautiful European countries and cities are so close to you. I would certainly travel in Europe if I was in your position.

      Delete
  13. That staircase is something else! Did you walk it? The Balmoral tram track is interesting. You seem to really know Sydney, in and out, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the staircase was closed off. Normally I avoid stairs but it would have been fun to climb. It is about our sixth visit to Sydney but some have only been for a couple of days. I don't really know that much but I do a lot of research.

      Delete
  14. You should have had lunch in the QVB , Aimee and I always stop in there even if it's just for coffee and cake, such a beautiful building. I didn't realise bus was the only way to get to Bondi beach, Dave always drives us :)
    P.s. why oh why is there always a plane crash every time I'm about to fly, not sure how much longer I can keep doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, we have had lunch there before. There are a variety of buses to Bondi Beach, all of them busy. Sundays have to be experienced to believe. So Aimee will be the one to end up with fingernail marks in her arm?

      Err, I had to rewrite my comment. I called you Perth.

      Delete
  15. I'm working my way backwards through your Sydney trip - this is a fascinating little detour into a place I've never been! Compared to Adelaide, every other capital city has a great public transport system, but Sydney's takes some beating. Unless you live in one of those safe seat areas that was promised public transport aeons ago that has never materialised!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I seem to recall while we were away that I read about your ever so brief visit to Sydney. Maybe you mean Balmoral Beach? I am not sure your pt is so bad, but it good pt does need a certain volume of people, who won't come unless it is good. Bit of a conundrum.

      Delete