Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sydney Day 4 Saturday Pt 1

The morning was bright and sunny and we caught the 380 bus to Circular Quay for the obligatory  ferry trip to Manly. We paid using our Opal cards at the barriers but many were still using conventional tickets. Celebrity Solstice was berthed at the Quay. Being so close to a large ship does give you an idea of the massive bulk. The balconies for most of the cabins were very small with room for only a table and two chairs.


Window cleaners were busy and I suppose the barge is refuelling the ship or maybe pumping out the sewerage tanks. Ships do have sewerage tanks, don't they? Please say yes.


You can see the little ants climbing up and down the arch of the bridge. I believe Grace has booked the walk for herself during her next Sydney visit.


Admiralty House, our Governor General's Sydney residence and in behind is Kirribilli House, the Prime Minister's Sydney residence.


The Costa Deliziosa was sitting in the harbour and there was a crowd of people on the upper deck. As far as I know, she never berthed. I suppose passengers were transported to shore by small boats. She was still there the next day and Wednesday morning once home I saw a ship sail into Port Phillip. As I often do, I checked to who she was, and guess what, Costa Deliziosa.


I believe this is Bradley's Head. One day we will hire a car and take a look at many north shore habourside areas.


I've never noticed in the past the art deco clock tower at Manly Wharf.


The Corso in Manly has changed a bit since we were last there with these quite nice and simple water features.


And who enjoys them the most.


Where the ferry docks is the habour side of a peninsular with the northern land head of the harbour at its tip, known North Head. Walk a short walk along the Corso and you at the other side of the peninsular staring out to the massive South Pacific ocean.



At the end of The Corso to the left is North Steyne and the right, South Steyne. We turned left, looking for somewhere to have a substantial brunch. We were both shocked at the prices. R said we need to find where the locals eat. I thought, fat chance. We turned up Wentworth Street and there was large cafe with a large outdoor area. Dogs were tied to chairs, people were reading newspapers. Eureka!. We have found where the locals dine and I will go so far as to say it was the best find in Sydney. We both had breakfast food, me toast, bacon, poached eggs, a sausage and coffee. R had the same but mushrooms instead of the sausage. Delicious, not expensive, a very generous serve and friendly and fast service. Honestly, I could not fault it in the slightest and will get a very positive Trip Advisor review from me. Oh yes, the name, Fusion Point and I highly recommend it.

Just a building I liked as we walked back to the ferry terminal.


It was terrific beginning to the trip back. Water sprayed over the edge of the ferry and wet the people sitting here. The ferry rocked from side to side with enough force to cause you to brace yourself. Great fun. South Head is in the background.


The very expensive and nice eastern suburbs of Sydney.


Yachties yachting with perhaps Shark Island in the foreground.


Fort Denison.


Look at all the people lunching there.


There is a large face visible. What is that all about?


Battle ship grey battleships in Woolloomooloo Bay at the Garden Island Naval Base.


Up and down they go over the arch, all day. Not for me and not at the price charged.


An opera house, about to snap its jaws shut if you get too close.


A questionable planning decision at Circular Quay. More diners.


His story? No idea. We were back at the Quay to change to another ferry. See part two of our longest and most tiring day tomorrow or the next day.


44 comments:

  1. Goodness you were busy. It does look like a lovely day though.
    How I resent our Prime Ministers claiming Kirribilli House as their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I resent that there is not a PM residence in Melbourne yet there is one in Sydney. We possibly sound busier than we were. We don't do things in a rush and we were always home by 4 for a relax before going out for dinner.

      Delete
    2. I resent the fact each residing PM has to redecorate to their own taste at taxpayer expense. For heaven's sake, they're only there a short while, it shouldn't be necessary. Think of it as an extended hotel stay. Surely 'they' wouldn't book a hotel for whatever length of time, then redecorate to suit themselves because they don't like the wallpaper or the desk.

      Delete
    3. The new PM is greeted at the front door by staff. The butler says, "Good morning Prime Minister and welcome. We staff don't think you will staying more than a year, two years maximum, so it will be quite unnecessary for you to any redecorating."

      Delete
  2. Pleased to see you're making the most of your time in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did Fun60, but we didn't overdo it.

      Delete
  3. Andrew , the ferry is fantastic and it is much bigger than one which we use from Calais in France to Dover in England. I must admit you live in the most beautiful corner of our planet. I in my opnion all is perfect weather, landmarks and job opportunities. It is a nice place for living. Watching your country it is much better than US or Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the ferry to Manly is the largest of quite a number of Sydney Harbour ferries. Beware, all that glitters is not gold.

      Delete
    2. Probbaly you are right but your nature is awesome.. and I believe goverment more friendly to people as I have read

      Delete
  4. Two responses Andrew.

    The big face is part of the set for Aida, this years Opera by the Harbour production.

    A hire car to visit the northern harbourside areas sounds like just the job for me on your next visit. Book me, my rates are extremely reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is obvious what the face is about now you mention it.

      I will compose a list of places to visit and you can plan a day.

      Delete
    2. Well there go any quips about Talking Heads...

      Delete
    3. Agreed Andrew.

      Delete
    4. Jacqueline, sorry Victor spoilt your style.

      Delete
  5. I am awed by the photos and descriptions of Sydney. The harbor is beautiful and so are many of the buildings, and the bridge of course. Makes me more than ever wish to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, Obama's last act will a large cash grant to those who care for animals. While it is a great city for average tourists, it is even better for the rich.

      Delete
  6. I want to go out for brunch now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, didn't you have a large meal in town last night?

      Delete
  7. Admiralty House reminds me a good deal of the old Southern U.S. river and Barrier Islands mansions. It stands to reason, since both were (presumably) designed to catch the breezes off the water...
    You and R holiday in the best way; being exhausted by trying to stuff too much into the day does not make a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Jacqueline. Sadly modern houses, large and grand or small and modest, are not built to suit climates. Not doing too much is a thing we have learnt as we became older.

      Delete
  8. I have never done the ferry trip to Manly, and I live here.

    I really should get around to this soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and take your camera.

      Delete
    2. Snoskred, simply a must do in Sydney. Brace yourself when you are near the heads.

      Delete
  9. Great photos, love the car at the end. I remember ferry spray when I was out on the harbor and it was raining too, loved every minute.
    when playing tourist, it's always best to find where the locals eat, for cheaper prices and more authentic foods if you're in a foreign country.
    I really like the big cruise liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. It's great that you did see Sydney. Someone called out the guy in the car and went to his window for some sort of conversation.

      Delete
  10. Got my climb booked already Andrew :) Wasn't going to do the Manly trip this time, but might have to take my Sydney famille for a ferry ride and breakfast at Fusion Point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, right Grace. I really do recommend Fusion Point.

      Delete
  11. That brought back lovely memories of my own ferry trip to Manly years ago. I love it when you find great little cafes like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, bit better than a boat trip across the Clyde? It wasn't such a little cafe and not at all English style. Not that there is anything wrong with British cafes. I like them too.

      Delete
  12. Thanks yet again for this great and unusual tour. Celebrity was one of my clients in my last job. Those ships are amazing, but not my idea of a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, so it is a ship of a reasonable age. I've not done sea cruising but I am sure a certain person will force me one day. A short on might be ok.

      Delete
  13. I don't know why, but you disappeared from my reading list so I thought you were not posting because of your holidays. Now I discovered that you had written a whole travel description and I scrolled through your posts. Looks as if Sidney is a very interesting town and such a lot to see ! Enjoy jour journey !ç

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it is a city of great natural beauty, although we did not get so many places like that as we didn't have a car.

      Delete
  14. It's a little depressing that I was there was I was 18, and will most likely never go anywhere else that compares...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I think you mean you were too young to really appreciate it. I get that.

      Delete
  15. You should visit more often, I see more of my home town that way.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes stay in your chair. There is a bit more to come.

      Delete
  16. All looks lovely, the view from the bay is good. The ships, well they look big and I don't think I could live on one for several weeks even though they call into different ports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I think much as you do about being a ship for an extended period. One advantage though is not having to pack or unpack.

      Delete
  17. We take a lot for granted living in this fine city- nice to see it through others eys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, especially as I am leaving out all the bad bits. Just kidding.

      Delete
    2. Every city has got their bad bits - we tend to look through rose tinted glasses at the good bits only.

      Delete
  18. I believe that's the very same ship at the Quay when we visited Sydney for a 4 hour exploratory tour between flights! And possibly even the very same climbers :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Red, you saw the Queen Victoria, far superior to this one, the Celebrity Solstice. Ants on the bridge. Are you tempted to climb? No loo up there, but what a loo with a view that could be.

      Delete