Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sydney Day 1 Wednesday

There weren't too many photos taken on this day we arrived so I've slipped in some from other days.

We realised before we left home that we were travelling on an international flight with Jetstar not a domestic flight as we thought. That meant we had to clear immigration and security so we had to leave earlier than we thought. We intended getting a taxi to the airport, which costs $50-$60, return, over $100. We had a look at the long term airport parking and it was half price if booked in advance, $48. We booked. You have to specify your time in and out with a grace period of an hour either side. We were pretty worried when we returned from Sydney and again our flight was late. We were quite concerned that even an hour's grace was not enough, but we made it.

It was long walk out to the gate for flight, with only a couple of travelators to help. The flight left over twenty minutes late and we had to meet our accommodation person at a pre-arranged time. Again in Sydney it was a long walk from the gate to the airport, without any travelators. We waited forever for our cases to turn up on a carousel, maybe half an hour. We made our way to the airport station and did not wait too long for a train. I called our accommodation person with a new ETA. We left the train at Museum Station, no escalators or lift, and wearily trudged up Liverpool Street to our hotel. Just as we were passing the bus stop, three buses pulled up and we were in absolute chaos as the crowd dashed towards their appropriate bus. The person to meet was not there. We waited in the foyer and after five minutes, I called her again. She told us to go up to the eleventh floor and she would meet us there. She is very nice. We have booked through her the same place once before. However, she was chatty.........for at least half an hour, and we were hot, tired, a little cranky and thirsty. Eventually she left and we closed the terrace doors and switched on the the air con. The complimentary bottle of wine was too warm to contemplate. Slowly we cooled down.

We walked to the local IGA supermarket and bought cereal, bread, spreads, milk, tea and instant coffee. Next was Vintage Cellars for a supply of drinks for the duration. Of course we underestimated the quantity required!

Attached the hotel was a Thai restaurant so for an easy meal, we dined there. The food was ok and cheap, as was the wine.

Waiting for the train at the international airport terminal station.


While I know Sydney has some old trains, some not even with air con, we did not strike one. This one was very nice and quite new. I meant to ask Victor when we met up with him as to why do so many more people go down to lower train area? Is it cooler?


Apparently train doors that open at the push of a button were introduced a few years ago but it seems Sydneysiders were too stupid to cope and were left on the train until the next station, or missed their train. Most unlikely, but the push button system was discontinued and the trains with push buttons were converted to all doors open at platforms. It is very energy wasteful. Visitors to Melbourne note, you won't get far on our trains if you don't take action when you want to get on or off.


Co-coincidently we had the same room as our last visit to Sydney, some six years ago. It is not a flash place but very large and comfortable, with everything required for cooking meals, not that R did.


As usual, we started to mess it up before I thought to take photos.



Harbour views, well a tiny bit of water. Good enough to be harbour views in real estate agent speak.


Our hotel is in Sydney but I am not sure what you would call our main view. I would call it East Sydney and on to Potts Point.


A few days before had been the Mardi Gras parade and party and event he ANZ bank joined in theme.


Take a closer look at the ATMs.


And the slip from the machine.


I really thought this was a wrong spelling but it is an alternative way to spell chute. It does not seem to be especially an American spelling but it is used there by some.


The next day we were up on the roof where there is a swimming pool and spa. We could see Finger Wharf at Woolloomooloo (I can spell it, sheep, toilet, cow, toilet).


Looking east towards Potts Point, Darlinghurst and Kings Cross.


A cannon protects Hyde Park.


The war memorial in Hyde Park with the omnipresent Sydney Tower on its stilt.


Looking down Wentworth Avenue. I recall walking up the steep hill after dinner and wine in Hay Street when we last visited. To put it bluntly, we were buggered by the time we reached the top. We are not used to walking up steep hills.


I had to look at this photo for a while until I remembered why I took it. The top storey is a glass enclosed swimming pool. It is either in Crown Street or more likely Riley Street. Can someone tell me if Riley Street once crossed Oxford Street, given the street restarts on the northern side of Oxford Street?

Later edit: Allan's comment is quite interesting.

34 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love the opportunity to visit Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it is a fine city and a good place to visit.

      Delete
  2. Oh I did enjoy the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I can't recall if you went there, but it is a beautiful city, as long as you remain around the harbour.

      Delete
  3. I don't know why more people travel on the lower train deck on Sydney trains, or even if that is true, because I always prefer the top deck. However, I have vague memories of train crashes in the past where passengers on the lower deck received more serious injuries. Maybe other passengers have better memories than I and choose their deck accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I meant that passengers on the higher deck received more serious injuries. (Proof read, proof read!)

      Delete
    2. Victor, while there was an even spread of passengers on the train, nearly everyone who boarded went downstairs.

      Delete
  4. Your 'main view' - at least only that area which appears in your photograph - would generally be regarded as East Sydney and Darlinghurst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am wondering about the place name East Sydney. It is not appearing on online maps.

      Delete
    2. Maybe East Sydney is a name from my youth but I believe it is still used and I see it has a Wikipedia entry for itself;

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Sydney,_New_South_Wales

      It also seems to be recognised within the 2010 post code.

      Delete
    3. Victor, a locality name. Got it now. It is Darlo's post code. I remember from a lapsed friend who lived in Darlinghurst.

      Delete
  5. Sydney is a great and modern city in my point of view worth visiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, if you ever come to Australia, don't worry about meeting me. Go to Sydney. You will love it.

      Delete
  6. Well that was a informative tour of Sydney, It's been so long since I've been to the city but as I worker there most of my life and went into the city every working day and now I very rarely get the urge to go there, just too many people, is it normal to turn into a hermit as you get older.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Is it normal to turn into a hermit as you get older?"
      Yes.

      Delete
    2. Merle, the city is a pretty busy and crowded place. Not different to Melbourne in that regard at all. Perhaps even more crowded. Yes, I can equate with being a hermit when you are older, but you should fight against it.

      Delete
  7. Shute for chute? Well shoot, I'd never seen that before; I'm a bad Yank - no cookies for me!

    Some day I'll get to Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline. You have made it even more complex with shoot. I had forgotten about the American shoot. I am sure Walter Brennan said it more than once.

      Delete
  8. Harbour views are worth their weight in gold. I would like it to be slightly more than a glimpse (as in your photo), but hey.... at least they have a stunning harbour in the centre of their city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, harbour views and closeness to the harbour are for some people, but there are miles and miles of flat suburbs to the west too. You want harbour views? See tomorrow's post.

      Delete
  9. Never in my life have I heard the sheep, toilet, cow, toilet reference to the spelling of Woolloomooloo. it's wonderful and I may never forget it now.
    Your room looks very nice, I like that little kitchen area with the eating bench attached.
    I remember a cartoon once where a disgruntled potential buyer was saying Water views? What water views? and the real estate agent said well sir just must lean right out of this window, crane your neck around and as the sun sets, you get a nice glint off the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I wrote about it a while ago on my blog. Maybe before you began reading.

      Yes, it is a bit of a long time joke about Sydney water views.

      Delete
  10. LOVE the rainbow ATM receipt. And like River I have never heard the sheep, toilet, cow, toilet reminder before. A gem.
    PS: Canberrans say thank you to bus drivers too. Who often reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it took a bit of work to put it up with numbers crossed out. Thanks for liking the band receipt. I can always spell that Sydney place. But Qeenbeyan where we stayed? Maybe not.

      Always remember that bus schedules and late running are normally beyond the bus drivers control.

      Delete
  11. I want all our ATM's to be GAYTMs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The swimming pool is on the Riley Street side of Monument apartments. Used to be the old Koala Motor Inn back in my day. Gay boys used to swim up to the underwater glass windows and perform for those on the street below.

    And yes Riley Street did use to cross Oxford Street but was blocked off when Oxford Street turned into a six lane highway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Allan, we stayed at Koala Motor Inn twice in the 80s/90s. We were trying to work out where it now is. So funny about lads swimming in the pool. Gay Sydney was magical back then.

    Do you know what year Riley Street was changed?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting your water view....false advertising I expect, but!
    Hyde Park, roof top, windows, concrete all interesting to see.
    I like the ATM's..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, the views weren't advertised. I guess it works like a hotel where the rooms are allocated at the last minute. We could have had better views but with more street noise.

      Delete
  15. Looks like you found yourself a good spot there Andrew, I see the sea there :) it's an exciting city for a short visit, I'm looking forward to it.. Still hoping that I can persuade son et famille to come back to Perth :) it's the flying thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I would always recommend overseas tourists visit Sydney if they are here for a short time. It takes longer to appreciate Melbourne. You could drive to Sydney? Now that really would be a trial.

      Delete
  16. Are you talking Wednesday March 11? If so, that was the day of OUR flying 4 hour visit! How weird is that?? If not, then disregard the above :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder when I read your post Red, and it was the same day. We were the two old poofs on the train, me looking absolutely stunning with my four wheeled suitcase and R looking a bit older with his two wheeled model. Oh yes, it was the cruise ship you mentioned when I realised it was probably the same day. Quite remarkable, hey. I confess, I did then forget about it. I will just go back and check what ship you mentioned.

      Delete