Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday Selections

Expect River to have her Sunday Selections on line this Sunday, and possibly EC too.

A remaining Banksia bloom bottlebrush bloom, or Callistemon, in Sister's garden.


R came across this home film when he was clearing out some old things but he doesn't know what it is on it. It probably isn't The Sound of Music. It may well be a home movie, taken either here or in England, or it could be a movie that people would watch in the privacy of their own home, alone or with that very special person in their life. If it is a home movie, we would like to transfer it to digital. But how can we check? We are not going to take it to be digitised without knowing what is on it. Does Processed by Kodak tell us anything?


This  would be one of the most dangerous tram stops in Melbourne and it is right below us. The boys of Melbourne Grammar are supervised by a teacher at the stop before here but many come to this stop, buying something in McDonalds along the way. They run across the road amid traffic and it is a miracle none of been hit, that I know of.



Our cutlery drawer is not too untidy.


The same can't be said for the drawer below. These two white containers have some history. They came from Dairy Bell Ice Cream in Glenhuntly Road, Elsternwick, and of course once contained ice cream. They used to just throw them out. Perhaps that is why the long established company has closed down. We are not great ice cream eaters, but Sister bought some a day or so before Dairy Bell closed and gave it to us and we still have it.....taking up freezer space.


Paper hanging in the Degraves Street subway. Why?


ANZ bank building. As a new building, its a bit different.


A couple of balloon photos for EC.


It was a lovely morning to be 'up and about'.


Some interesting light.


A cruise ship arriving at Station Pier (probably the Italian ship we saw in Sydney Harbour). The Queen Mary 2 is almost the last cruise ship to visit Melbourne for the season. She arrives on Friday, which was two days ago when you read this. Sadly I will be at work. Later: I did see her arrive, in the pitch dark. If you recall, we did see her in Sydney Harbour and she is a big big ship.


A dreadful din rose from the street below. We thought it was a protest march. Nope, just marauding Wesley College boys. Sports related perhaps.




Another week, another floor on The Manor construction, but oh, look, what has happened to block of four flats behind?


I suppose for twenty years we have passed through North Geelong on the way to somewhere. In earlier days it was to visit our friend in the Western District and then latterly since Sister moved to Geelong and then The Bellarine. We have always stopped at the Scottish Restaurant, sometime just for a thick shake, sometimes for something more substantial. It was the perfect place to give the dogs a break, to run around and do what dogs do. During one such break, Toby went into the creek and we had a wet dog to deal with and little to dry him off with, never mind the mud. How long does a car take to get rid of wet dog smell? I am sure plenty of you know, but I forget. We still always stop there, perhaps now more because we like to get out and stretch our own ageing limbs.


I can't remember where I came across this. Unlike Samantha, Endora in Bewitched often used her powers for evil, or at least to benefit herself or disadvantage the long suffering Darrin. Yep, I think I would do the same.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for the balloons. I do love them.
    The ANZ building is indeed interesting. Good. Too much modern architecture is either (to my eyes) dull or consciously weird.
    And yes, I too would be more likely to be an Endora than a Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dull and consciously weird are good woods to describe modern buildings, EC.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I love your photos from your balcony definitely great. The bank looks nicew andinteresating..A dangerous tram stio it is a challenge to teacher..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, I don't know what a teacher could do if they were present. Perhaps stop the kids running across the road against the traffic lights.

      Delete
  3. The ANZ building is very Art Deco, isn't it. If your tape (wow, does it ever bring back memories!) was processed by Kodak I doubt it was too outre'... now embarassing, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, I think the tower, like a previous bank building I posted about, sits on top of an old building. I will check and maybe write some more about it.

      There must be some way to check the film before we have it processed. Maybe I can shine a torch through it on to the wall.

      Delete
  4. I used to love Endora! I always thought if I was Samantha, Darrin would just have to accept my being a witch, not make me live as a mortal.
    I think that new ANZ building is fabulous.
    Your cutlery drawers look fine to me, even the 'messy' one. i used to have some of those ice cream containers, I planned on using them to start seedlings, but that didn't happen.
    Go ahead and get that tape digitised so you can watch it. at the very least it could bring back some lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endora was good, hey River. And she loved her grandchild, Tabitha from memory. We still have the junk drawer below that one. The tape may bring lovely or not lovely memories, but if it is a proper home movie, then that is fine.

      Delete
  5. Well that was a mixture of things, and everyone has at least one untidy drawer, I've got a few.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, there is a slight possibility that we have more than one very messy drawer. I am thinking of my bedroom drawer.

      Delete
  6. Those school children look small but of course they do when you are in a High Rise building, so you have a good view up there...a good lot of nice photos. I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Andrew...the photo of the bottlebrush is actually a banksia. Not sure what species but it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ad Rad. I had self doubts but not quite enough to check.

      Delete
  8. Are the papers down, by the Subway a barriers, to keep heat in or out, or rain in or out or even fumes in or out or sound, perhaps?

    The various Darins of Bewitched were all somewhat pathetic. I still like the first Darin best. And the arrival of Endora made Bewitched much more interesting. That cruise ship is the size of a country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is an enclosed area. I really can't guess why the papers are there.

      I agree, the first Darrin, Dick York? was the best.

      Delete
  9. I bet that drawer under the cutlery drawer looks just like everyone's drawer under the cutlery drawer :) love the view from your high rise, although if I actually lived in a high rise I would never see the view, although the balloons might tempt me out.. no that's not true :) Loved Bewitched, a magical twitching nose would be such a fun feature !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace, third drawer down is the junk drawer but it is not too bad. You can see the balloons from inside without stepping out.

      Delete