Sunday, March 08, 2015

Sunday Selections

A few phone snaps in a friend's tiny garden. Just to the right of the trunk you can see an avocado starting to mature.


Plentiful tomatoes.


I am fairly sure these are feijoa fruit, quite edible. Aka, pineapple guava.


Chillis for eating, not for a vase.


Either limes or lemons, not sure.


A violinist near our favourite grungy Melbourne laneway brunch venue. He looks like a gypsy. We are usually found sitting at outdoor seats a couple of metres to the right. So many people take photos down the lane from the short flight of steps and no doubt we are in many of them. I skimmed through about a hundred or the seemingly thousands of photos of Centre Place online, but I couldn't see us. Maybe just as well.


Note the old sign up top, Bottom of the Harbour, a fish a chips outlet. Bottom of the Harbour as I remember it was a tax avoidance scheme, somehow involving asset stripping a company and then sending the remains to 'the bottom of the harbour'. It was such a blatant tax avoidance scheme that even the conservative government at the time had to stamp on its rich mates' scheme.


Confectionery Free Checkout! Interesting. QV Safeway, oops Woolworths, would have the lowest number of child visitors to any supermarket, I should think.
 

Has Little Jo mucked with my phone camera settings? This seems very bright. The MacRob fountain is undergoing heavy maintenance, to the point where it seems to have been taken apart. I expect it will be back in functioning order come the big war anniversary events at the nearby Shrine of Remembrance.  I took a photo of the fountain some years ago. I will take a much better one once it is fixed up and functioning.


Grow some dahlias folks. They are lovely.


The blinds are only shut when it is really hot or to block the bright sun in the morning.  I don't know why this three string blind less than a metre wide always sags. I can fix it by pulling on the correct string to lift one side, but it is tiresome. Let it sag.


A bumble bee bum at the Melbourne Recital Centre. Why?


It had not rained for a while and as the rain began, cars left foaming tyre trails.


Is it detergent in car oil that leaks on the roadway? Somewhat disturbing really.


Now outside our wonderful State Library. The best chess games to watch are when a fast young whipper-snapper beats an older person who has been making very thoughtful and considered moves. I wish there was an Abbot piece on the chessboard as what fun we could have at the expense of Prime Minister Abbott and his Foreign Minister Bishop who is a possible challenger, or even the Speaker of the House, another Bishop.


26 comments:

  1. Andrew, I am very interested in your friend's garden. There is a lot of diffeent species there and I love the tomatoes and the limes are love. It is a first time when I have seen the avocado tree. It woud be nice to play chess in the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, an avocado tree grows quite large. We one had one but it grew from seed and would take seven years before giving fruit. We were there at the seventh year and it gave us one delicious avocado.

      Delete
  2. I notice that round items somehow feature in nine of these photos.

    Do you have a subconscious focus on testicles Andrew or does that observation say more about me than you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, have you been stalking me and what I get up to on the net? Given I can't see much round in my photos, you must have discovered my gonad fascination.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen foaming tyre trails. Perhaps it is left-over from road cleaning? Something which hasn't happened here in many a year.
    Loving the variety of your Sunday Selection. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know EC, but have you seen foam in what you thought was a pristine creek or river? What is that about?

      Delete
  4. Didn't realise avocado could grow in melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it is borderline, but yes, they will grow here. Like frangipanni, they need a warm brick wall to radiate heat at night.

      Delete
  5. Sagging blind? Possibly the pulley on the 'up' side has become clogged with dust or similar. Give it a wipe with a polishing cloth and see if that fixes it. At least it should sag evenly.
    I quite like foaming car trails, but they probably add to the slipperiness of roads after fresh rain.
    That fruit looks nothing like the Fejoias in my front yard. it looks more like a citrus of some kind, going by the skin at least.
    Dahlias are lovely, but I have the wrong soil and there's no way I'm pouring hundreds of $$$ into improving it. I'll enjoy the dahlia display at the Botanic Gardens instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, maybe you are correct about the pulley. We have had the blinds cleaned a couple of times, but I've not looked at the mechanism. There are lumpy and there are smooth Fejoia fruit. I am not sure, but I did google to check. Sorry about the lack of salutation and link back. It was a fast post and then we were away.

      Delete
  6. Never seen cars leave a foam on the road, well, first time for everything.
    Amazing what can be grown in a small garden. not a lot of people grow dahlias these days, and they are lovely in a vase.
    That bumble bee looks out of place, but maybe that is why it's there - to look out of place.
    Venetians, they are the best for privacy but not for me. I do know what you mean by them hanging down oneside....used to have them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, you are right. The bumble bee was to attract attention to a festival. I like the modern privacy blinds with the black out extra but venetians are quite practical. New windows? New blinds?

      Delete
    2. New windows, new blinds?
      No Andrew, not new blinds or drapes. Our drapes are not yet one year old, and the blinds are vertical blackout ones, and a dark colour. We are hoping the blinds still fit. I guess we will pull the blinds back during the day.

      Delete
  7. Some interesting shots. Your friend appears to have made very good use of the small space, the garden looks amazing.
    Confectionery free check-outs are good for adults too - I confess they help me out a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I am just a sour old man and rarely indulge in sweets, except for Cherry Ripes and Bounty Bars.

      Delete
  8. Avocados! Limes! Would love to be able to grow those here but, alas, our climate isn't suitable for them.

    Then again, we're still waiting for the last bit of snow to clear off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, I wonder if limes are exotic and lemons are colder country fruit?

      Delete
  9. The road foam looks positively dangerous. Aqua planing wasn't far off I fear. Agreed about dahlias. My Dad grew them. I have a few in our garden but I plan to add some more this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you will certainly have many villagers on side if you plant more dahlias, assuming they can view your garden. I think you have to stake them?

      Delete
    2. In our weather absolutely. Dahlias are popular here Andrew and in a lot of gardens so not as unique as perhaps in your climate.

      Delete










    3. Craig, dahlias were popular here when I grew up. Our climate for them is not so bad. But they have fallen from favour. As R says, we have these horrible strappy things now.



      Delete
  10. Goodness me what a lot of 'produce' your friend grows in his small garden Andrew.. one of these days, before I sell up and move into an apartment in Northbridge :), I must plant an avocado tree, would save me a fortune, I do love them!
    p.s. fix your blind Andrew, it's driving me crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace, he has a very green thumb, or is that finger? Very soon there will be no need for the blind to be touched as the sun swings away from our balcony.

      Delete
  11. I never learned to play chess, I need to rectify this

    ReplyDelete