Friday, March 06, 2015

iCook

"You must be tired of cooking every night my dear. I will make fried rice tomorrow night."

"Nice try. We are going out for dinner tomorrow night."

"Don't be sarcastic. I forgot. I will make it tonight then."

I put the proper recipe up years ago and it is nothing special but the only thing I cook and is quite tasty. Just a few details.

I leant a lesson very early when making fried rice don't put all your eggs into one glass. I was breaking the third egg to the glass and it was off and so had ruined the first two. Now I break each egg into a glass and pour it into the another glass once I am sure it ok. While this only happened once, I hated wasting two eggs.


A congealment? of garlic, ginger and chilli. About two teaspoons of each for a cup of uncooked rice, a bit heavier with ginger and chilli.


Ingredients are prepared. The rice is cooked. That is the hard work done. The egg will be fried in the wok first and chopped as it cooking. I don't blend it in the glass too much. I like a bit of cooked white and a bit of cooked yellow. I kind of break it up in the glass and into the hot peanut oil it goes.


Wok must be hot.


Red capsicum has been briefly cooked with the spices after the egg was removed and then the Chinese pork sausage was cooked for less than a minute, until the fat became clear. The peas were microwaved. The spring onions go in uncooked.


The wok was cleaned, more oil and sesame oil heated and the whole lot goes in together and the rice thoroughly heated as your throw the mixture around the work, and with a dash of fish sauce mixed through, it is ready to serve. I've tried it with lean bacon, but it is not as good. It would probably be quite healthy if it wasn't for the fatty pork sausage..........and the salty fish sauce, and the peanut oil


18 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nigella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I don't have her breast, but I can cup my blossoms and lick my lips.

      Delete
  2. Similar to the one I make. I do love sesame oil.
    No snosage or bacon for my vegetarian self though. Lots and lots of different types of mushrooms instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, another vego in my life and I don't like mushrooms. When we catch up, please supply your own food.

      Delete
  3. Mine is usually whats left in the fridge so could have anything in it sometimes good sometimes not so good.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I bet the Beer Fairy never complains.

      Delete
  4. It looks terrific. I wish you were closer, I'd knock on your door at just the right time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is quite and you would be most welcome. Pls lve pussies at home.

      Delete
  5. Good advice about the eggs. I like your wok, same as my kids have got. I haven't made fried rice in yonks. I'd go heavier on the garlic and ginger and skip the chilli altogether. I don't eat fried rice often anyway, so I'm better off walking down to the local takeaway if I want some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the wok came from an army surplus store, as did our cast iron frypan. I think we may have paid $5 and many years later, it still is ok.

      Yes, better for you to walk to the Chinese and take a bit off your hips.

      Delete
  6. Looks very nice indeed Andrew. I shall make a note of it. But I think of you more as a Fannie Craddock than Nigella. If you haven't heard of her a quick google will show you although I'm sure that R knows of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, three sheets to the wind, I asked R about Fannie Craddock, and the conversation that ensued went on for some time, including about her husband. I still don't know about her but as I said, R certainly does.

      Delete
    2. Ah, poor long suffering Johnnie. Grab a load of this at 19.00 to see what poor Johnnie had to put up with. In fact they were very ahead of their time.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdvL6TCX6k

      Delete
    3. Mesmerising, entertaining even a a good example for women on how to dress when about their home duties.

      Delete
  7. Looks so delish Andrew, I might have to make it tonight for dinner :) I'm sooo susceptible to suggestion, an advertisers dream :) No not really, but I will make the fried rice, apart from the fatty pork sausage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Grace, it really does lack without the Chinese sausage. Given how often I make it, it is no threat to our waistlines.

      Delete
  8. Andrew, looks delicious . What about inviting me next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosis, I'll see if I can work some paprika into it for you. Wait, I know, some Polish salami. That will work.

      Delete