Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Who you gonna call?

In Australia for an emergency we call 000. Even if your plan has expired on your mobile phone, or you don't even have a SIM in your phone, you can still call 000.

The European emergency call number is 112. My first mobile phone in the nineties could not call 000, the Australian emergency call number, only 112, and as an incentive to upgrade the phone to enable it to call 000 I was offered a new and nicer aerial for my phone. I travelled by a couple of trains to Laburnum Station where the business was and the business gave me the new aerial and fixed the phone so it could call 000. R picked me up as he worked nearby and we went to Box Hill and had an early dinner at a Chinese restaurant called Sunny Court. The restaurant served pho before pho had a name in Australia.

The sister of Victoria's former Premier Ted Ballieu, one Kate Ballieu, now a heritage activist on the Mornington Peninsular, recounted in her The Age newspaper column of her experience when her neighbour's terrace row house in North Melbourne caught fire, and she dialled 999, the English emergency call number. Yes, if you were a young person and read a lot of books written by English people, 999 might have been at the fore of your mind.

Before I stopped watching American tv shows, there was a show about an emergency service. I can't recall the name of the show, maybe something like Dial 911. Goodness, I can almost recall the hot actor in the show. I should know his name. From that show I learnt that 911 is the number to call in the US. Sorry US peeps. I don't think 911 will work here and I don't think the British 999 will either.

000 works and so does the international 112.

What do more minor countries use? What a nightmare of a hotch potch. There are too many to list. Even  New Zealand uses a different number, 111. Generally 112 is the number to try first if you don't know. Phone systems in different countries may automatically redirect the call to the local number.

The world can't get its act together on weights and measures, digital and analogue broadcasting systems, copyright, not even date format. It's a wonder we can even send a letter to another country. What hope is there for a standard international emergency number.

27 comments:

  1. A uniform emergency number is more necessary now with increased levels of international travel and the greater influence of international communications and media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, the de facto number does seem to be 112, but it needs to be extended and formalised.

      Delete
  2. A standardised world? It would certainly make travel easier, but would it take away some of the fun?
    I do agree that emergency numbers would be better if they were the same the world over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I suppose it would be boring if we never had to change currencies. No it wouldn't. It would be so much easier.

      Delete
    2. re currencies: easier but boring, since there would be no challenge anymore. No need to test your math skills.

      Delete
  3. None. Nada. No hope whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emergency 911. I watched that show too and yes the younger medic was hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I am puzzled. The title is not bringing up anything really meaningful. Was it this one?
      Contact the Show Creators on IMDbPro »

      More at IMDbPro »
      Emergency! (1972–1979)
      TV Series - 60 min - Action | Adventure | Comedy
      7.9
      Your rating:
      -/10
      Ratings: 7.9/10 from 2,120 users
      Reviews: 41 user | 18 critic

      The crew of Los Angeles County Fire Dept. Station 51, particularly the paramedic team, and Rampart Hospital respond to emergencies in their operating area.

      Creators:
      Harold Jack Bloom, Robert A. Cinader
      Stars:
      Randolph Mantooth, Kevin Tighe, Julie London | See full cast and crew »

      Delete
  5. The world has NO chance of getting international numbers or anything similar because everyone will think it should be THEIR number that stays the same! It'll become a political power issue rather than a public safety issue - as most important things ultimately become! Cynical, much??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I think that might really be the case in the US. You are experienced and have a right to be cynical.

      Delete
  6. It's a pity the world can't be the same with this issue, but that won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, seems to be the consensus.

      Delete
  7. I actually remember why 000 was chosen. In the dark or in a fire, people had to be able to dial the old phones in the fastest, easiest way. So three identical numbers were essential, preferably at either end of the dial (but not the middle). 111 would have worked just as well.

    911 was silly... the finger would never find the different holes in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, in that case maybe NZ has it nailed with 111. There would be little time to wait for the dial to return. Quite hypothetical now though.

      Delete
  8. I agree that a standardized emergency number is way over due. Even if we had to give up our beloved 999. I think I recall from many moons ago Rescue 911 with William Shatner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I think local numbers could be kept, along with the world wide number of 112. Can't be too hard. I think you are correct about the show. I did not know who WS was then but I don't think he was the one I liked. Now I have the right name, I can check.

      Delete
  9. I had a need to call the cops in the UK and I had to ask what the number was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't ask why Fen. Better than having to ask for a solicitor's number.

      Delete
    2. https://betweenthewires.wordpress.com/2006/02/24/c-i-d-fenoodle-2/

      There's your answer!

      Delete
    3. Fen, it did my head in to read that because I couldn't remember the post. Then I found the date.

      Delete
  10. 999 still works in the UK btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I assume that is the primary number but 112 does work too.

      Delete
  11. Andrew, you are right our number 112

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, has it always been so or can you recall another number?

      Delete
    2. Yes we have three more numbers 997 Police, 998 Firefighters ,
      999 Medical service but 112 -is universal . If you choose 112 all 3 numbers are connected

      Delete
  12. Ghostbusters! So sorry but someone HAD to address your title Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I knew it came from somewhere, but I didn't recall where.

      Delete