Sunday, February 01, 2015

Where our vegies come from

Vegetables or vegies. I'll have no truck with veg.
 
I read something in the newspaper about a couple of not well known but nice beaches.  One was Williamstown, and I am really not sure if I have seen the beach. We have certainly explored Williamstown many times. The other was Werribee South beach.

We were a little puzzled. South of Werribee is the freeway to Geelong. Is there anything south of there? R always urges me to follow the directions of the sat nav, but when she said turn north from the freeway exit, I did the opposite and turned south, and I was correct. I may have been incorrect in my programming of the device.

Where are most of our vegetables grown? Well, it seems along the road to Werribee South. Paddock after paddock of vegetables in various states of maturity. To my surprise, easily observed by the dried mud from truck tyres on the road, the soil is a rich red and made me think of the Thorpdale area in Gippsland with similar soil and where potatoes are grown.

I didn't think much of a beach we passed by, coarse sand full of shell grit. Perhaps we did not see the best beach.

While not to the standard of the most excellent pastie in Fairfield, the large local shop for local people adjacent to the caravan park was very busy. The pastie was edible but I had no faith in the coffee and so bought a coffee milk drink from the fridge.  The caravan park seems to be firmly rooted in the 1970s but nevertheless, it is very large and had many vans within.Has anyone else ever seen a caravan park associated with BP or another petrol company? I expect the connection has long been severed.


I told R a pier shows on the map, so further around the coast we went. It appears that a lot of money has been spent to improve the area around the modest pier and boat ramp.


A sign to deter foreign tourists is a great idea. Not a problem for we locals with our knowledge of the Aussie bush and its dangerous animals. We just stick to the concrete paths.


Plenty of birdlife.


Flying pelican on the right and a lamp post occupied by two pelicans.


Pelican circling, thinking what a good post to perch upon.


Pelican trying a little intimidation to remove one pelican so he/she can have a perch. 


Pelican failed to intimidate and resigned to his fate, heads to land where his chums are resting. A minute later the lamp post was abandoned, proving pelicans have human like behaviour by only wanting what someone else has.


The boat ramp and the pier are in the mouth of the Werribee River. The wind wasn't terribly strong, but the boats were certainly bouncing as they left the mouth of the river. No boat ramp rage was observed and no contribution to You Tube 'boat launches gone wrong' to film.


Looking upstream into the Werribee River.



Yes, it was quite a pleasant area and I expect busy on a hot day. While those with boat trailers have to pay for parking, cars do not. I would not bank on it staying like that for long.


As were were leaving, R spotted these units. Always thinking of a change of abode, he said stop so we could have a better look. "Sea views", he exclaimed. "Swamp views", I replied. I doubt we will ever make a return visit to Werribee South, but we were glad we made the journey.


The way to and from Werribee South can be driven as a loop, so we continued on back to the freeway. At the intersection of the turn off to Werribee Park and open range zoo and the freeway off ramp, it took three sets of light to get through and this was on a quiet Sunday. I can't imagine what it is like with umpteen vegetable trucks trying to get through on weekdays.

Instead of turning on to the freeway, we went straight ahead to the town of Werribee itself for some ingredient for dinner. If we went onto the freeway, we would have had to go into the busy and congested South Melbourne for the key ingredient, so instead we went to the busy and congested town of Werribee for the key ingredient. I have never been to Werribee and planned to one day by train. I may well still do that. We only had a taste of the town but it was interesting enough to want to return.




29 comments:

  1. I have never been to Werribee but even so it has a special place in my heart thanks to The Pirate Movie which quite a lot of was filmed at Werribee Mansion.

    The entire movie can be seen on youtube, and I have a review on my blog of it. ;) It was made in the very early 80's and we were some of the first people in our street to have our stereo video recorder hooked up to our stereo, so this being a musical was much played in our household, in particular on Saturday afternoons. The mornings were cleaning time and my Mum would always put on some music to clean to.. but the afternoons were our rest time and we could watch a video. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of The Pirate Movie and I'm sure the credits say filmed on location in QLD, I'll watch it right now and check at the end. Maybe I'm wrong...

      Delete
    2. IMDb says Melbourne, Victoria, I'll check the credits more closely at the end of the movie.

      Delete
    3. I wasn't aware of that Snoskred. I will take a look on YT. Sounds like you had a good childhood.

      River, even if I don't watch the whole movie, I expect I will recognise Werribee Park.

      Delete
    4. Yes, the credits say Werribbee Park and then filmed entirely in Australia. I don't know why I thought it was QLD.

      Delete
    5. I'll try to remember to watch it, or some of it River. I may have even seen it and forgotten. Thanks for checking.

      Delete
  2. Now living out here in Point Cook Werribee South beach is one of those places I go to so that I can see into the distance having come late in life to suburbia. When I think of "Beach" it's not quite the bay type Beaches here - but once I let go of expecting big waves I realised the bay has it's own real beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MC :) Yes, the bay has many moods and at the moment with a strong southerly blowing, it is very rough. Is the main beach the part just before the store?

      Delete
  3. My Italian teacher and her husband lived on a veggie farm in Werribee - the husband had grown up there. They had a house in a corner of the property, as did his parents, a sibling and a cousin. Everyone worked the land together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, four corners, four houses? I just hope the developers don't get their hands on the land.

      Delete
  4. I don't even know where Werribee is, it looks like a quiet area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is a bit of a satellite suburb, but the land in between is being filled with houses.

      Delete
  5. It looks love a lovely outing. I am a sucker for pelicans, and have a weakness for fresh vegies too. (and agree wholeheartedly on the subject of veg.) Loved the sculpture in Werribee too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was not far, just low key, and quite lovely. NO to veg!

      Delete
  6. Citizens in most big cities seem to know their own half (or quarter), but visit the other half rarely. I live in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and blushingly admit to visiting the northern suburbs perhaps once a year and the western suburbs even less often. Laziness, snobbery, lack of reason to travel so far? - I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, since we have lived here, about 12 years, I have much expanded my knowledge of Melbourne suburbs and I knew little about the north or the west. My grandparents refused to go to a niece's wedding because she was marrying an Italian but mainly because the wedding was in Fitzroy.

      Delete
  7. Nice drive past sea and into rural/vegetables.
    There is very red soil on the North West Coast in Tasmania.
    We used to have a caravan and sold it (after my mum passed away, because I had to look after my dad) and when travelling mainly in isolated areas, there was often a caravan park behind a service station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, and they grow potatoes there?

      I had forgotten that, but I remember now there were caravan parks behind service stations.

      Delete
    2. Yes potatoes are grown on our North West Coast along with all kinds of vegetables. Gee I made it without a spelling mistake. Using my old phone to reply and I always hit the wrong keys...

      Delete
  8. Andrew, it is interesting place. The units are the same as in Spain. It is very interesting you have a completely different sign next pedestrian crossing than in Europe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I never noticed but the sign does not look correct to me. I think our are black writing on a yellow back ground. I will have to take notice.

      Delete
  9. I learn so much about Vic from your blog, I 've only ever visited your state once.
    Merle.....................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, so you don't have to visit Victoria now. I think it is called being an arm chair tourist, which I am very inclined to be, but R gets me out of that.

      Delete
  10. So much to discover. And Australia has always been so very far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, tell me about it. I know every time I head for the airport.

      Delete
  11. I feel a little windswept after that trip Andrew :) Love the peculiar pelicans vying for the good spot!
    p.s. I'm curious to know what you thought I might have posted for yesterdays 'missing Perth' theme ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I just didn't think it would be something really obvious, like Kings's Park.

      Delete
  12. There are two caravan parks at Werribee South - we've stayed at the 'other' one - P was very happy because of the birdlife, and the Werribee sewage treatment plant just down the highway! There are quite a few caravan parks attached to service stations around the country - but not necessarily affiliated with the oil company they promote! We didn't visit Werribee Mansion, but the rose gardens nearby were sensational - I think they're the Victorian State Rose Gardens? They're in the shape of a rose as well, which you can only see from a small hill in the gardens! It's an interesting area, if you like that sort of thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that took some work to see the other one. Yes, I recall they Victoria's State Rose Garden. We saw it in the early 1990s. I didn't know the garden was in the shape of a rose. Yes, I do like such things.

    ReplyDelete