Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The little things in life

Within the package of goodies and details we were sent before our European river cruise last year was this antiseptic hand gel, one for each of us. There were automatic dispensers all over the ship and I had my own gel to use up first, so it is only recently that I have begun to use gel given to us last year.

The dispenser has a pump spray nozzle with the intake tube sitting at the base, where it should be to pick up the very last of the gel. The gel itself has a pleasant smell and is very thick. It is so thick in fact, as I discovered when I picked it up from my work bag to use, that the container needs to sit upright, otherwise the intake is sucking air. It may take a minute or so for the gel to settle at the bottom once the container is upright. Well, ok, I just need to keep it upright. Not such a hardship.

But, note the moulded hole and the belt clip, meaning the bottle would hang upside down from your belt. Houston, we have a design problem.

14 comments:

  1. Andrew, I couldn't believe that photo of the gel, as I am just sorting out what to take with me to Mexico and found my APT gel from that trip I did in NZ. I want to take an antiseptic hand gel with me and decided this would do, but it is so thick! Still works though. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Fun60. Just don't hang it from your belt or backpack and expect it to immediately work. Nice scent, isn't it.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, so little thing makes our life easier and cleaner. And it is a great opportunity..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, it should be easier and is if you keep the bottle upright.

      Delete
  3. Definitely a design problem. Is it on sale generally or is it designed as a give-away? The fault is of course still there, but if it isn't designed for sale they have less incentive to fix it. Warmer temperatures might make it more malleable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it's a give away but maybe that sell it on the ships as well. I thought about the temperature too but it does not seem to make a huge difference. I expect Fun60 will find that out in the heat of Mexico, although I think it will be cool in one part she is visiting.

      Delete
  4. Thick so you don't use as much, or maybe you only need a drop. Pity it has to be hung upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I see the problem. Don't have a solution for you though.
    I had a similar problem with a pump bottle of sunscreen. The tube went all the way to the bottom, making contact with the plastic bottle, so it couldn't suck up any cream. I cut off a 1/4 inch and it worked fine until the bottom layer of sunscreen was used up. Then came the problem. The stuff was so thick it didn't slide down the sides to the bottom so it couldn't be dispensed via the tube. So I cut the bottle open and scooped out the cream into a screw top container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done the very economically minded River. That's what I would have done. R would have just thrown it away. I used to retrieve his shampoo and conditioner containers from the recycling bin, add a little water and they would keep me going for a few weeks. I wash my hair about every five days, he washes his every second day.

      Delete
  6. I just used the last of my antiseptic gel stuff I had in my work bag, must get more. It comes in handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is I often don't have it when I need it.

      Delete
  7. I'll say! Someone didn't think it through .. happens often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happens too often Grace. I like really well designed products.

      Delete