Monday, February 09, 2015

The Abbott lives on

This must be published immediately as it is topical, so it is an extra post for the day.

Prime Minister Abbott has survived a spill motion of parliamentary positions brought about by his own party. I haven't seen anything instigated against the Prime Minister by Labor beyond the normal. I haven't seen anything done by the media beyond how it usually behaves. It is sheer internal fighting, probably brought about the dismal Liberal/National Party result in the Queensland state election and the forthcoming New South Wales state election.

Details of what the government does often washes over me, but a workmate of Sri Lankan heritage must have been keeping a record because he listed to me everything that The Abbott had taken away from families, in his case his children and their families. Lordy, to hear it listed, gobsmacked me. Well, I don't believe in middle class welfare and perhaps that was what was removed. What The Abbott misses is that most working class people in Australia consider themselves middle class. So middle class welfare that he approves of might have actually being going to the working class. Complicated, isn't it.

Yes, while denying climate change and doing nothing about it and dropping the mining tax are issues for me, they are not the make or break matters. I knew that he would do this before I did not vote for him.

What really gets up my claw, gets up and on my nose's goat is Medicare which he seems determined to crush and turn our medical system into an American style system which has proven to be bad and obviously failed, yet still costs a lot money to the taxpayer.

I don't recall if it was a backbencher or a Minister who said, 'I earn a  lot of money. I am am not poor. Why should I depend on the taxpayers for my medical treatment and doctor's visits'. Well, minister, you can depend on it because it is a universal health care system. And this what the Liberal Party has missed. Time and time again Australians have shown and voted that they want our universal health system. It is a health care system that cares for everyone, no matter your wealth. It has its issues and problems at times, but so does the private system. Many of us were forced into private health insurance by punitive measures by a former government, so what do we do? We go to the public hospital and say, no, I don't have private health insurance. (just as Mother did late last year when we took her, that is we who pay her private health insurance)

I am not quite sure if former Labour Prime Minister, the Verdi opera loving, Zegna suit wearing, antique clock collector, Paul Keating paid for private health insurance, but I know he did not use it. He and his children and he used the public health system and was criticised for it by the Liberal opposition party.  No Liberal Party. This is what a universal health care system is about. It is for the poorest and the richest.

Just waiting now for the apology from the threatened Prime Minister Abbott. He will apologise to me for him not having sold his message well.

Just bloody delicious.

27 comments:

  1. Andrew, you know I hate politicians...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Gosia, but maybe a person of influence will read this. Actually, I know they will.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, I hope so. Good luck

      Delete
    3. You know a person of influence??
      Do a rant about TV programs running way overtime so the show we are actually waiting for is on too late to be properly enjoyed as us oldies get tired earlier than we used to.

      Delete
    4. River, I do know a few people of influence but I would never feel comfortable asking them directly about things. Our television guide newspaper supplement regularly publishes letters about tv shows running overtime and nothing ever changes.

      Delete
  2. Too true about the medical system, hands off medicare Abbott the rabbit.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denying climate change and dropping the mining tax are huge issues for me. What a tragedy he is :(

    I must admit that his ridiculous parental leave scheme paying women who earn up to $150,000 per year paid leave to have a baby WAS insane. But nobody thought that would get up anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the parental leave scheme was crazy. The issue for me, aside from its unfairness, was that he would not back down.

      Delete
  4. Our health care system is/was right up there with the best, it's what the USA is striving for.. Let's hope the Abbott is shivering in his boots ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, he will always watching his back now.

      Delete
  5. The US health care system is a mess and bankrupts people unfortunate enough to get sick, whether they have private insurance or not, doesn't matter, you get sick here, you lose everything usually, or at least all you have saved. So you down there should certainly not go the route of what is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, your system is just beyond my imagination. Obama should have gone for broke and thrown it all out and started again.

      Delete
    2. I thought that's what Obama was going to do, and I was thinking, at last all people over there will get health care without first being asked if they have insurance. But apparently toss out and start over didn't go down well with many people and he couldn't do it.

      Delete
    3. Yes River, he tried and he did make some improvements, but well short of enough.

      Delete
  6. He said that his was a guvmint of no suprises. I didn't expect to like it, but I WAS surprised at just how much I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I too am surprised at how extreme this government is, to the point of making itself lose the next election quite easily.

      Delete
  7. Like EC I'm surprised at how much I've disliked this Gov.. This M/care lark certainly wasn't mentioned in all the gaff beforehand - certainly don't think they would have got in if that had been on the promotion list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, it may have still been elected. People were very tired of the Labor gov. But if Labor had info about what might happen to Medicare, they could have really gone to town with it.

      Delete
  8. Andrew, it may be Liberal Party in-fighting, but the impetus for it is that according to the polls and by analogy at least the Qld election, a lot of people who voted for the coalition at the last election are not presently minded to do so. For my part, and possibly yours, this only doesn't resonate particularly strongly because we were not people who voted for the coalition at the last election, and I do not see the risk that this change of mind in others will hold at the next election as any particular downside or risk to be averted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Marcellous. A year can be a very long time in politics.

      Delete
  9. Hi Andrew

    I think it was our Cohiba-chomping chubby chappy treasurer who wanted to pay more for his medical treatment. Simple answer - increase the Medicare levy for higher income earners. Wonder if he paid for his gastric band surgery...

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Pants, you do have a way with words. Hockey's surgery would have been paid for by his private health insurance. I think even middle income earners such as myself would be ok with paying a little more to get rid of the whole private insurance nonsense.

      Delete
  10. I was wondering if he'd survive Andrew. He may have won this battle but I have a feeling that there is another one on the not too distant horizon. Regarding healthcare, I value universal healthcare deeply and like you, I despair for the US version of it. I can speak with some authority having lived there for 24 years. In that time, even though we always had wonderful insurance, the system still left a bad taste.
    Our NHS is wonderful, for all of it's faults. But our government needs to tax more to invest more in it. It's not hard to understand - we're all living longer and putting greater strain on the system = it costs more.
    But if I compare the systems in the three countries I've lived in, I say that the French system is the finest. Sure, we had to pay a co-pay for some treatment (critical illness is exempt) but the top up insurance (if you choose to take it) was inexpensive. What I'm not sure about is just how sustainable it is. Like our system, it seems to be stretched and running a deficit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Craig. You are correct. I doubt he will be the party leader at the next election. We pay what is called a Medicare levy, about a 1.5% extra tax on our income. There is no reason why this could not rise. How can possibly the richest country in the world, the US, have such a bad health system?

      Delete
  11. M.Rabbit was the topic of conversation on the bus today; I listened in and some pretty strong words were said against him, nobody likes him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is what I hear too, but I guess we don't move in the right circles.

      Delete