Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday Selections

Do take a look at River's Sunday Selection, and other folk's as well.

C'est magnifique. La lune vue depuis le balcon.


A violinist near the Arts Centre.


A cellist in Swanston Street.


We were sitting having brunch in Centre Place just to the right of the seated man and we could hear the gentle sounds of the cello. It was just lovely and I popped around to make a tiny donation and take her photo and it was the same lass as in Swanston Street but about ten days later.


Celebrating the Christian Harvest Festival outside Melbourne Town Hall. I have a vague childhood memory of instead of attending Sunday School, we went into the church and all these vegetables were displayed. I suppose it is to celebrate a successful harvest towards the middle to end of summer. I am not so interested.



Didn't they learn from the Hindenburg? Kaboom!


The not very old pepper grinder has failed. We are so unlucky with salt and pepper grinders. I think we will look for a replacement in Big W this time, rather than a department store or homewares store.


Stuff for Mother's next garage sale, that just ain't gonna happen. It can go into  the skip we will bring in to clear out the house when the time comes. Meanwhile it all fills an empty bedroom at her house. Among the bits is a brand new electric icecream maker given to us by someone who did not want it. We decided we did not want it and suggested Mother could give it to her best friend to give to her son's family and kids.


I was doing something on the tablet as well as the computer and I am such a silly sausage. I swiped across the computer monitor, with no effect of course, apart from a finger line of margarine and Vegemite.


Last week's flowers were a bit different. They should label the less familiar flowers in shops.


You can afford a smart car like this yet you don't pay your tolls or traffic/parking fines. Prahran car park. I thought I had taken another snap of a car in Little Lonsdale Street but it turned out to be a shaky video. Damn touch screen cameras.


Ohh.  What is this at the Melbourne Recital Centre?


Part of Summersalt Festival. I didn't get the title until I mentioned it to someone and heard it in my ears.


The Jean Paul Gaultier  exhibition has finished and a day or so later the signs were replaced. The tram is still running around advertising the event though.


Who is Terful? A conductor?


This is a queer thing.


Hmm, more than one queer thing at Hamer Hall. I've actually seen kids stop in their tracks and their jaws drop when they see this.


Southgate area at South Bank. The Ice Bar is somewhere here and has been closed due to non payment of rent.


The Melbourne Cricket Ground in the distance houses 100,000 spectators of various sports, principally Australian Rule Football and of course cricket. We refer to the lighting towers as the fly swats.
  

About time the Princes Bridge lamps had another coat of paint. It is a very time consuming and I expect expensive job.


I showed you the top of this building a while ago. I was curious. Later the same day these photos were taken, I investigated. I will make it a separate post.


The Nicholas Building in town is an impressive building but the return arcade are looking a little shabby. I am not sure if I was in this building or maybe the century building a couple of years ago and it still had a lift attendant operating the handle back and forth with no 'auto' option.



There is a little story I heard about this flower shop outside Melbourne Town Hall. In an effort to make the city alive and bright even into the early hours the owner committed to staying open all night and the rent paid is little more than a peppercorn amount.


Bradman's handbags and travel goods has long disappeared by the signage remains. On the ground level and basement is Strandbags, where I bought my new suitcase.


Yeah, just what the trees need for summer, a yarn bombing. Why not do it in winter when the sap is cold........actually, I need to think these things through before opening my mouth. If the sap is warm in the winter, maybe they will not lose their leaves or come into leaf too early. Don't interfere with nature, Andrew.


Most of these photos were taken on a Thursday. Thursday is Mother Day, when R takes Mother out and he kindly suggested, don't you come. Take some time for yourself. It was much appreciated. Of course when he learnt I was not working the following Thursday, he said, good, you can take your mother out. He relented and came too and we had a nice lunch with Mother, Oldest Niece, Hippie Niece and Great Niece.

27 comments:

  1. I have the same bad luck with salt and pepper grinders. My sister bought me an expensive set for Christmas years ago and they seem to be broken right from the start but because they were purchased interstate, were difficult to exchange.

    Love the flowers this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AD Rad, we are fools. We had forgotten the salt and pepper were sold separately, so what did we do today? Bought the same pepper grinder. I making sure I keep the receipt. Not too far to go to Lets Cook in Lt Bourke.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, you have alot of gifted at music people. Buskers are coomon here too, We have also Christian Harvest Festival on 15th August buit it is obvious because in our zone is summer. We celebrate Mother's Day on 26th May.. Is Toyota populat in your place. ? At my is popular but it is rather more expensive than Italian cars. But it is very good car in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, our Mother's Day is the second Sunday in May. Toyota is nearly the top selling car in Australia and generally cheaper than many European cars. Toyota has a very good reputation but sometimes seen as being boring and conservative.

      Delete
  3. What a selection Andrew! I rather like talented street musicians. There is a cute lad who plays the bagpipes in Glasgow beautifully dressed in a kilt. I hate the bagpipes but for him I pay attention. Hey, that's my blog you tried to swipe away from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I do like a boi in a kilt. Photos! We had a well known young bagpipe player who busked for a couple of decades. Not this guy? http://www.lauriemackinnon.co.uk/busking.html

      Q. What's the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?
      A. No one cries when you chop up an bagpipe.

      Delete
    2. That is him, well done! Right outside TGIF is his usual haunt. I haven't seen him in a while as I think he's there more in the summer months. Very true regarding the onion bagpipe - funny!

      Delete
  4. Nice of R to give you the day off :)
    I like yarn bombing, I don't care when it happens, I like the colours brightening up our streets. Your home flowers are pretty, did you find out what they are?
    We have those same fly swat lamps around our new Adelaide Oval which looks a lot like your oval.
    I like the harvest display very much, a pretty little garden in the city, however temporary it might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, not a clue what the flowers are. They have lasted quite well. I suppose young readers, if I had any, would wonder what a fly swat is.

      Delete
  5. I don't go to the Nicholas Building itself but the return arcade is in the same street I work in (Flinders Lane). In the 1920s Cathedral Arcade must have been lovely, but now it is certainly a bit shabby. Compare this arcade to the very beautiful Block or Royal Arcades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it has a name. Thanks. Yes, no comparison to Block or Royal, but maybe one day there could be.

      Delete
  6. The tentacles out of Hamer Hall are tremendous! My pepper grinder broke quickly and I was disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it may be possible they are just unreliable products.

      Delete
    2. The grinder part must be cleared of peppercorn shells after each use, or it becomes jammed and the next time you turn the thingy it breaks because the grinder bit can't turn. Turn the whole thing upside down and tap the bottom end against the palm of your hand quite hard to clear bits out of the grinder end. They'll fall back into the main body.

      Delete
  7. Brynn Terfal, brilliant Welsh singer, a fantastic voice.
    I buy the peppercorns already in the grinder at Safeway but then I probably don't use as much as two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go Jah Teh. You are the proverbial font! While I don't use salt, I use quite a bit of pepper. We have used the supermarket ones before. For the first time today R remembered to say Woolworths, rather than Safeway. I guess you are still transitioning.

      Delete
  8. Well, you have been busy taking lots of photos and interesting ones at that. I do so like the lamps, haven't seen them when in Melbourne. The ice cream maker has had the run a round, kind of wonder where it will end up in the future..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, the lamps line the edges of Princes Bridge. They may be the original gas lights converted to electricity. The ice cream maker has never been taken out of its box. Maybe it will stay that way.

      Delete
  9. My daughter had an ice cream maker. by following the directions in the recipe book provided she made ice cream that was nicely flavoured but overly rich and creamy to the point of greasiness. It broke after the third batch, the volume of ice cream being turned in it cracked the tub and the stuff oozed all over the sink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, thanks for reinforcing that we did not really want it.

      Delete
  10. The Nicholas arcades are gorgeous Andrew, hope they look after them with care for future admiration :) the ice cream maker story made me smile, had similar situation with a chocolate fountain :)Adore the tentacles out the window, what fun! Hmm! A 24 hour florist, is there a need? Be kind to R, he's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes I can imagine that about a chocolate fountain. Should anyone of 25 really have one? Probably no need business for the florist late at night, but being open makes the city a better place. I try to be kind to R and mostly it is easy.

      Delete
  11. There is an old Chinese man basking with his ERHu near to that park with the floral clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ann him Ann. He is terrific and I have donated to him in the past.

      Delete
  12. Enjoying your photos, as always x

    ReplyDelete