Monday, February 09, 2015

Pride March 1

Although it had rained and was quite cool in the morning, by 11.30 the weather had improved and we decided to go ahead with our plans for lunch and to watch Pride March in Fitzroy Street, St Kilda. Cafes and restaurants come and go in St Kilda but good old Leo's Spaghetti Bar is a constant. The food and drink is cheap and good, the service pretty ok. The place obviously works on smaller profits but larger turnover. Leo's was full before any other place really got going. We met with up with five other friends and somehow the seven of us squeezed at a table for four. Next year, must get there earlier to secure a proper table.

Gratuitous photo 1.


Dykes on Bikes open the march.



Gratuitous photo 2. I was bit slow with the camera.


The march was led off by Victoria's Premier Andrews and his wife. No too far behind were police marching.


The bubbles were great fun.


Manhunt was personal hook up service. I suppose it is no more than an app now.


Gratuitous photo 3
.

The Country Fire Authority is a volunteer organisation to fight bush fires and fires in outer suburban areas. This truck is from the area where my Ex Sis in Law live. Apparently one of the fire fighters is gay and the rest were there to support him.


The State Emergency Service is another volunteer organisation. If your house roof blows off, they will come and cover it with plastic sheet until it can be permanently repaired. Both the SES and CFA above do receive government funding, but the workers on the ground volunteer their labour.


Dolly Diamond passed by so quickly, with her name spelt out in balloons.


Gratuitous photo 4.


Love makes a family. Who could argue with that.



Eurovision winners?


Very busy. A record crowd apparently.


Lots of colour. Unlike the glitz of Sydney Mardi Gras parade, Pride March is a community event with mostly community organisations involved but it does need to be bright and attractive.


What's a parade without drag queens.


One of Dolly Diamond's letters escaped.


Is it a Cadillac?


Second part another day.

22 comments:

  1. Andreww , I can say the march is lovely and colourful.My favourite is drag queen I have seen that at my cousin Fb who lives in Florida. I love it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Gosia. We have, sorry had, a drag queen called Feral Beryl, that is FB.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, and a question? What was a temperature there? Because some of people wear shorts while others jackets?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think it was about 20 in the afternoon. We both wore jackets, mainly in case we had a shower of rain, but soon took them off.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes wish our parade was during the day instead of at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you may very well wish that, but I doubt many drag queens would prefer to be seen in daylight.

      Delete
  4. Good to see the weather stayed clear enough. Spaghetti places always do well, they generally stick with a tried and true menu and families just keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, while the menu is quite varied, it is fairly basic food. But that suits us and a lot of other people too.

      Delete
  5. I love that it is a community event. Somehow a better recognition that we are (or should be) a community. Mind you, I have always loved the glitz, the glamour and the sheer energy of Sydney's Mardi Gras too. Room for both. Probably a need for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I wonder about the future of Mardi Gras. I think the parade part peaked in the mid nineties, but it too has evolved into a couple of weeks of festivities and events.

      Delete
  6. I like the fact that it's a community based event. The only two I've ever been to in my life were in Vancouver which was much like yours and Sydney many years ago which was rather like a Hollywood production and left me feeling like a fish out of water. City boy I'm not sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, now the MG parade has tiered seating for viewing. Some hotels feature rooms where you can watch the parade, etc etc. Of course you have to pay though, but it is good for older people. I was youngish when I saw the MG parade. I enjoyed it very much but I would not go now. Possibly it is a rite of passage for many gay men.

      Delete
  7. Looks as if it was fun for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, it was just really nice and low key afternoon for us. Very pleasant.

      Delete
  8. Who doesn't love a parade I been a couple of times to our Sydney one always very colourful.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Merle. What fun. Guess you were a bit younger too back then.

      Delete
  9. These are some awesome photos. Looks like it was a great crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, it is always a good atmosphere.

      Delete
  10. Only four gratuitous shots Andrew.. what control :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, mostly because the camera is so slow. Well, I am too a bit.

      Delete
  11. aw, one of these years I'll remember to go again!! It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, and you can join our motley crew.

      Delete