Saturday, February 28, 2015

A not so great evening out

Our Malaysian friend Manny is here in Melbourne. We arranged to catch up for dinner at a hotel with our other friends D & R. I had the day off work and was feeling quite relaxed. Then R came home from Thursday take mother out day in a foul mood. He goes an hour earlier now and leaves an hour earlier to miss heavy traffic on the way home, but the traffic at 3.30 was really bad and a one hour trip was nearly one and a half hours.

"I bought her new shoes today", he said.
"What? You paid for them?
"I didn't say she bought new shoes did I? I said I bought her new shoes. I don't want to talk about your ******** mother. Give me half the money, $60."
Look out Andrew.  He is stressed.

The traffic had not improved when we set off for dinner and what is normally a 15 minute trip took 40 minutes. The street parking on the hotel side was all taken but there were some spaces on the other side which would have us pointed in the direction of home when we left. I patiently waited half in and half out of a side street to make a u turn but R was not waiting patiently. 

"Why didn't you park in the carpark? I don't know how I live with you and put up with this."

I neatly made the u turn and nimbly, just lucky for once, parked the car very well.  R stormed off to the hotel well in front of me. I dawdled. R was at the bar buying us drinks and I walked over to where D was sitting and he was texting. 

"Hello", and I was ignored. "Is your R inside playing the machines?" I was still ignored. I sat there glumly for a minute or so while he texted on until R arrived with the drinks. R was not to be ignored and when he was repeated what he said to D in a louder voice, which did get a response.

It took me quite some time before I could engage in normal conversation with anyone. I was not a happy egg at all.

D was texting Manny who was in Essendon and said he won't get to the hotel for another hour and that we should eat without him. An hour later Manny texted and said it would be just too late, which I was relieved about because I did not want to hang around after dinner and we didn't.

My meal was just ok, but to sum up the evening, somewhat of a fizzer and I rather wished I had stayed home.

16 comments:

  1. The stars aligned but this time negatively. Next time the stars will be in your favour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive thinking Victor. That's the shot.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you need to set in the bath with the door locked
    And drink wine

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rather sounds as if all four of you should have stayed home, in separate homes even! time out all round.
    Doesn't seem that long since mother had new shoes, surely they don't wear out that fast? Perhaps it is longer than I remember. i could do with new shoes myself, my sneakers are close to four years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you are possibly correct. As for the shoes, yes, it doesn't seem too long since R bought her shoes but I guess it would be a couple of years. I am not going to ask the details. I buy new sneakers or similar when a hole appears in the sole.

      Delete
  4. We all have those days Andrew... usually things are brighter the next morning (at least I hope so). Congratulations on the parking. Parallel parking in heavy traffic (when I'm doing it) has been the source of more arguements in this household than any other. It's not a strong point for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, things were fine later. This new car is so difficult to park because of its small windows and generally poor visibility. While it has a rear camera, you can't really throw it backwards into a parking space.

      Delete
  5. What a mare of an evening. Lots of alcohol needed - oh but you were driving. Life is such a bummer at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, bummer is a good word. Just a bummer of a night.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, sorry to read about your night out. Hope your next one is better. Things just happen sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, it doesn't happen too often like that, thankfully.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes if the evening starts in a shitty mood, it may improve. But usually not. So I would rather apologise to everyone, go home and sulk in the bath alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, and miss dinner. No but it is always an option.

      Delete
  8. Oh Andrew that sounds like a horrible night doomed from the start.. I hate when that happens, but at least if the food is fabulous that's something.. not so here I see :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Written it off and forgotten about it now Grace. The next will be fine, I am sure.

      Delete