Monday, January 05, 2015

The unwell

Our Brother Friends monster house has been settled and because one is undergoing long term treatment for his leukaemia, they have rented a two bedroom apartment in a posh eastern suburb for around $500 per week and their plan to move to Thailand is on hold.

Our Malaysian friend Manny's ex priest friend who had a stroke while making Christmas cakes for the poor and sundry and was found wandering near his local railway station in his apron has been taken into care.

Our Fijian Indian friend who holidayed with in parts in Europe hooked up with a Polish chap while we were travelling. They did not meet, but the Polish has now flown into Melbourne and quickly seen the sights and is now in Sydney for New Year with our Indian Fijian friend.

Our older ex NT politician friend is off of a driving holiday in the New Year. He will stay at various friend's places as he heads north to Queensland.

Let me flesh it out a bit. Manny asked us in early December to visit the Ex Priest in a new private hospital rehab place. Life was just too busy but we did get around to it until last week, except he was no longer there and the switch person did not know where he was.

I sent a text to Manny in Malaysia and he said he was now in a Kew private hospital. I worked out where he was.

In the meantime we were arrived at our ex NT politicians place for a late afternoon/evening Boxing Day  barbeque. R saw a car there and realised it was owned by someone he detests. He called the host and apologised for our non attendance and we came home, and barbequed our marinated meat prepared for the barbeque. R was apologetic to me. So he should have as there were some nice people there, apart from the prat who R does not like. It is odd, because although I remember the night vividly, like me telling R to take the car and I would get either the train home or get a cab, I do not remember the rudeness of the person that R says was directed at me. I would not describe myself as a weak person and I stand up for myself when I see a need, which is not often because I am hard to offend. It was something to do with property, us in a highrise and him in modest apartment. He does talk big at times. (Code for V, Nct Thai)  A couple of gifts were left there for us, including what is probably a regift of chocolates from our Brother Friends.

So, Brother Friends have moved and while we knew roughly where, we did not know the address and had no way of contacting them. The well Brother called us on his mobile when we were out and of course I now had captured his mobile number. I called them back on the mobile, but I forget what was said and when that was.

After our non attendance at the Boxing Day bash, they left a message on our phone giving their landline phone number and asked if we would like to visit their new home. I called them back and suggested Monday or Tuesday, but then instead of looking after Little Jo on Sunday, it was changed to Monday, so Tuesday was my only free day.

On the way we stopped off to see the ex priest.  He has been diagnosed with dementia but seemed quite with it to us. His room is in a very modest older style hospital room and quite dark and depressing. There isn't air con but at least he can open the window. To our surprise he is in a locked ward. I suppose it is necessary to stop him wandering, but he used to walk a lot before his stroke and is missing it. He seemed pretty miserable. Someone promised to take him to church on Christmas Day, but cancelled at the last minute. Think about it you Micks. A retired priest didn't get to Mass on Christmas Day. R was so sad about his situation, well so am I. I reassured R that there would be a chapel within the building, but I did not do so with any real knowledge. He does have good outside support, but by golly, it is not much of a life at the moment for him. In his normal boring manner, he banged on about his past. I tried to talk about things happening now, but it wasn't working.  Actually, it wasn't so boring to hear about the foibles of priests in the past. Nothing juicy, but just that they are human, fallible, stupid  and very lazy at times. He is being offered various places for more permanent care but I suspect always in a locked environment. He just wants to go home to his flat and return to his old life. To us, he seemed fine and there is no reason why he could not, but doctors know better, methinks.

The desk nurse gave us a slip of paper with an exit code through two doors from the building.

#cheerful


15 comments:

  1. Doctors always know best. Even when they don't. Oh the irony of that desk code. And certainly nothing which would pop into the head of anyone on a locked ward...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think doctors just read more of different types of books than we do.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, it seems medical; care in each corner of the world is not as good as advertised in media... What a shame..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, care for people like the ex priest is difficult. They don't need to be in hospital but not well enough to be home.

      Delete
  3. We are of a generation Andrew that we are being exposed increasingly to all manner of maladies and geriatric issues. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, agreed. But who expected it to happen? People are mainly fit in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Perhaps a few accidents but not long term diseases as our grandparents had.

      Then the wheels fall off - mental health issues, buggered up prostates, eyesight goes bung, ugly and arthritic fingers, breast cancers :(

      Delete
    2. Victor, maybe it will happen to me one day. ;)

      Hels, three Christmas cards not received this year by people who always send them. We knew one had died, and now assume the other two have too. Old age ain't for wimps, that is for sure.

      Delete
  4. I used to visit clients in such facilities and I'd never remember the bloody codes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it was on a slip of paper. I suppose they change the code every so often.

      Delete
  5. Sad to hear about your dementia friend. Being locked in is often the best as one never knows when an episode will occur. They seem "with it' and the next minute they're wandering and confused. Eventually the episodes come more and more often. I worked with someone once who was concerned for his father, was trying to get him in a home, but his doctor didn't think it was necessary. Well, one day he was called away from work to go and collect his dad who had somehow managed to get on a bus and travel to a nearby town, then suddenly had no idea who he was or where he was. My friend's phone number was in his dad's wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I hasten to add he is a friend of a friend and it was a favour for our friend. While I feel sorry for him, I don't like nor trust him much. Yes, while he seemed fine to us, he clearly is not or would not be where he is. I think his flat was rented and possibly the church paid the rent. I don't know who is paying his bills now.

      Delete
  6. Good golly miss molly that was a lot of info :) So sad about your locked up friend Andrew and btw I don't agree that doctors always know best, as you can imagine I question EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that is fair enough to question. I was being somewhat ....can't think of the word. Oh dear, forgetting things. What will be my fate!

      Delete
  7. Was nice of you to visit a friends friend.
    Sad are strokes, sad is dementia but then all illness can be sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes few illnesses are anything to be happy about it, but, not sure if I should say this, you can at times get a laugh from someone with dementia.

      Delete