Saturday, January 03, 2015

That Lambie Woman

Churn out the blog posts, day after day. I seem to come up with something everyday. Let me be serious and attempt some serious writing and, god forbid, put some thought into a post.

Jackie Lambie is a Senator in Australia's Federal Parliament. She was elected as a Senator from the State of Tasmania as a member of Clive Palmer's, Palmer United Party. Four PUP Senators were elected. It has all now gone terribly wrong, with Jackie striking out on her own, possibly in association with Ricky Muir who was originally from the Motorists Enthusiast Party but later sided with Clive Palmer. Muir is best known for throwing kangaroo dung at his mates at a barbeque, and clearly he likes cars. He may well come into his own in time. He obviously lacks confidence in front of the media.

Jackie Lambie is also very new to public life. Some may describe her as quite common. Some may describe her as down to earth. Some may describe her as a loose cannon. Some may describe her as a breath of fresh air into parliament.



On talk back radio, she gave a fabulously 'honest'  response to a question about partner material. The national media picked up on her off the cuff remark, that he needed to have money and needed to have a good package. I am not so familiar with female sexuality, but I am pretty sure that went over a treat with gay men, who would at least find it amusing. Her advisors must have told her to apologise for her remark, a mistake in my view.

There is no doubt she is complex person but at the age of forty three, as the Australian expression goes, she has been around the bush.

Her scarves have made a trademark for her as has her heavy foundation and eye make-up. Gay men adore heavy make up. More is better. You can never slap on enough. She has some indigenous blood from her mother's side and so I should think an indigenous support base too.  Oh, except apparently, we killed all her ancestors in Tasmania. She is a strong supporter of the armed forces, the people rather than the institutions and was once a soldier. She seems to have a strong sense of social justice in the old Australian manner.

All very mysterious to my foreign type readers, but what do you local people make of Lambie? For me, it is too early to judge but I am inclined to like her and thing she may well do good things for Tasmania and for Australia.

NB Before the str8 acting gay mafia attack me with their stilettos, yes, not all gay men are fans of Kylie and Dolly and not all approve of heavy make-up.

24 comments:

  1. I am still deciding. I love that she appears to be that rare thing, a politician with principles. I am less happy with some of her Immediate responses. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell indeed, EC.

      Delete
  2. Initially I was a bit horrified by her but I am warming to Jackie. I think she is making a mistake in taking some inflexible stances but some of her interests; e.g. support for improved conditions for armed forces personnel, I think are commendable and her attitude in pursuing it should be followed by other toady politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am a little disturbed at what Hels says below. I should have made an effort with this post.

      Delete
    2. Hels' comment gave me a start too. I wasn't aware of these attitudes.

      Delete
    3. http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/local-news/lambie-hasnt-given-thought-to-russian-treatment-of-lgbti-people/128871

      Delete
  3. She has all the unthinking, populist right wing policies that I find difficult and possibly alarming - she hates Green protection of the native forests, she thinks gay marriage offends God, she wants young men conscripted for National Service once again.

    For a moment it felt lime 1966 all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I really did intend to make this a proper post, with research etc, but it kind of fell over at some point. Like all politicians, and none are different, they will play to their voting support base. I was aware that she is anti Green. Why only men for conscription? Gay marriage offending God is plainly a stupid thing to say. She will be interesting to watch and we hope not horrifically so.

      Delete
  4. Lambie makes me want to go into politics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, the mind boggles.

      Delete
  5. I haven't paid much attention, as usual, so I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. she may turn out to be the welcome change that is desperately needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may River. Always someone new and interesting to watch and then be disappointed by.

      Delete
  6. She might be the new Bob Katter - a right tool but a strong voice for her constituents...maybe. I saw her interviewed on 7.30 a while back and couldn't tell if she was avoiding the question or just too dim to understand what Leigh was asking her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I appreciate the comparison between Katter and Lambie, but Katter has gone too far in some areas for me to take him seriously. Too dim or very clever? She left you wondering.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, she seems a lovely woman especially for men

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes I expect she does appeal to many men. But so did Hanson who did so much damage in Australia.

      Delete
  8. I don't think she is very bright. Says stupid things and reminds me of Hanson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I would not underestimate her. She does remind me too of Hanson, and that is not a good thing. The problem with Hanson was not so much what she said, but the way she said it and the climate she created.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear me! We didn't vote for her, we didn't know she existed until she opened her mouth after being elected. I do believe she seems to model herself on Pauline Hanson.
    I remember cringing when Jacqui spoke but must say she has improved a little. She sticks to her guns it seems so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, you may not have voted for her personally, but collectively you did. I like the idea that you don't have to be smooth and eloquent speaker to be elected to parliament. That was the theory of the lower houses of our parliaments but she is the 'rich club', the Senate. Like yourself, she is a northern Tasmanian?

      Delete
    2. Jacqui lives in the North West, city of 'Burnie'. i live in the North, City of 'Launceston'.

      Delete
    3. Yours is a preferable place to live, I think.

      Delete
  10. If you're hinting she could make Prime Minister Andrew.. Please God nooooo! For a start before she utters a word she would need a complete makeover :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't Grace, but I love my female readers who are closet gay males.

      Delete