Sunday, January 04, 2015

Sunday Selections

The usual eclectic mix for my Sunday Selections. See what River and others have posted.

Labels can be so important. Instead of General Waste and Recycling these bins are labelled a little differently, reminding us that what happens to rubbish that goes into landfill and even Recycle steers you towards being active rather putting a drink can into the Recycling Bin for someone else to deal with.


Clearly not my photo, but one published in a Wall Street Journal blog. New York's subway system runs historical trips in old, restored subway trains. I think I would like to party on a train with this mob. Note the unguarded overhead spinning fans.


Remember how the weather station outdoor receiver unit crashed to earth from our balcony and did not kill anyone? I received a new unit from R for Christmas. The old one is about five years old, I guess. It looks so old fashioned now. The new one shows outside and inside humidity, which is a bit more interesting.


At Tradie Brother's on Christmas Day an unusual spider made an appearance less than a metre from where we were sitting. Females screamed and males laughed and puffed out their chests. Somehow, I think this is learned behaviour, not in male or female genes. A smote of research tells me it is St Andrew's Cross spider.


Speaking of genes, Tradie Brother has been doing some gene mixing and invented the pine-apple. Naturally Nanna Fud, aka Mother was completely taken in.


Little Jo was here while Sister attended the 3rd day of the Ashes cricket test at the MCG. We were pretending to go Asian for brunch. Note what I think it is tea towel, a lovely Christmas gift from our Friend in Japan. I am only at all doubtful because it is square rather than our usual rectangular tea towels.


From another friend, tea from the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia. I think Malaysian grown tea is the best. I highly recommend it.


About the same number of Christmas cards as in previous years. These two are quite special. One does adore Copperwitch and Pants.


Land for sale at the Sea Side Estate, in beach side Elwood. The already surveyed site for the Elwood Station puzzled me. It was never built, there is not a railway line and no evidence that I can find exist that it was even a proposal.  Ah, land developer tricks, even right back in early 20 century.


Interesting photo found on FB, taken from what was The Travelodge hotel, then became the Holiday Inn and is now Hallmark apartments. Before modern radio communication between trams and the operational centre, an inspector would control the trams from this little box.


By the sounds I could hear when standing underneath, it was trainee chefs cooking for chefs. Voices were raised.


The petunia did go down the rubbish chute. It developed some kind of leaf disease and was looking quite unhappy with a leaf disease.


Mother no longer grows annuals in flower beds, but in pots instead. I would estimate she has about three dozen pots of petunias and she gave us one. I stymied her plaintiff wail that she would be dead by next Christmas by commissioning her to produce a potted petunia for our balcony next summer.


Not sure why, but I struggled to get a good photo of these lilies. Operator error, no doubt.


Well past their prime now, but they lasted two weeks. They must have been very fresh. They really were quite gorgeous, but oh, the stink.


When we were at Sister's on The Bellarine we all called into the Aldi supermarket. Urged by Little Jo, Sister bought these for R and myself. Little Jo chose the names. Guess which one I was presented with?

14 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I had bought some lillies this week. Nathan complained about the stink too but I didn't find it too offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, we were given ginger lilies once, and they had to go out onto the balcony.

      Delete
  2. I like the lilies' scent, but am aware that it is poison to many. And yes, for some reason they are difficult to photograph. A camera-shy plant? Who would have thought.
    Love your eclectic selection this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, interesting as I certainly could not capture their beauty at all well. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, lovely post. The best is historical photos from subway. And I would liket to try tea from Malaysia probbably it not accwssible at my place. The petunias are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, buy some tea over the internet. It doesn't cost much and is fun. I bought some coffee from Paris once. Poor petunias have a horrible battle here with strong winds.

      Delete
  4. "Land for sale at the Sea Side Estate, in beach side Elwood". The surveyed site might never have never built and there is definitely not a railway line there. But I love it anyhow. Someone's town planning fantasy, presented at a universal exhibition perhaps, or a failed entry in a tendering competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you are being uncommonly charitable. I am sure the land developer just added the station in with no basis to know it would ever happen.

      Delete
  5. The lilies are gorgeous! The stink is from the brown oblong pollen heads on the stamens, snip them off and enjoy your lilies more. That pollen is responsible for many a migraine in my head when I was working express lane checkout and the boss would refuse to move the plants stand. One of the reasons I quit.
    Do you suffer from hayfever? I've found that only fellow sufferers object to the stink, while everyone else doesn't mind or care.
    See all the wires under your weather station etc? Another reason why I don't like glass topped tables. You just can't hide any of the mess under them.
    Love the "pine-apple" trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, so the strong scent comes from the stamen heads? I think R does snip them off to prevent staining. I used to suffer badly from hayfever but grew out of it at about 40.

      We used to have the wires in a flexible tube but never got around to putting it back after the last dismantling. Don't mention it to R, or he will be wanting a new desk.

      Delete
  6. Lilies do smell plus the powder from the stamens stain. Did you find that?
    I like receiving Christmas Cards, however, so many people these days don't send them, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, we have had (got to be careful here) stamen stains before and are careful now.

      We have resolved to just send cards now whether we receive one back or not. Yes, card sending is dying a slow death. I think we would spend over $150 on birthday cards each year.

      Delete
  7. The cloth is a 'furoshiki'. They're used in many ways - wrapping things in, wall hangings, table mats, to carry things, etc. You may have noticed yours is a calendar. Here, it would probably on on the wall for the year and then be put to alternate use the following year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, of course we saw it was a calendar. It has stayed on the table as it is very Christmasy. It is a nice gift.

      Delete