Tuesday, January 06, 2015

St Kilda and Prahran in one hit

Oh, this post is getting a little old. I think it was the day we went to the Post Card Exhibition at Linden Galleries in St Kilda's Acland Street.

Mandalay is a private apartment building sitting proudly on St Kilda's Esplanade overlooking Port Phillip Bay. It has some terrific art deco features.


We walked up Robe Street and spied some more lovely art deco, with a little Spanish on the side and who would reject that.


Linden Gallery is a large Victorian era house, now owned by City of Port Phillip, I believe.


Interesting bench.


Alfred Square with what is purported to be St Kilda's oldest house on the right.


I've never has a close look at this monument, and still haven't, so I can't tell you what it is.


Tram our way to Balaclava. More late art deco or perhaps more correctly, moderne.


Bus up to High Street Prahran. All bus shelters need a chair on top of them.


The entrance to Prahran's Victoria Gardens. Note the very old lamps.


It was my first visit to the gardens and it is a very pleasant park.


Trees and grass. Our city needs them, lots of them.



I knew the lighting was wrong here, but the effect is not so bad.




These lamps at the other end of the park are quite different to those at the main entrance.


Bougainvillea is a difficult plant to maintain, with its thorns and vigorously growing long canes, but it gives a riot of colour in many different shades.





Blessed was a pork and salad roll and not too bad coffee at Tran Bakery after our circuit. Sadly Tran Bakery closed at Christmas but should reopen after renovations.

20 comments:

  1. Wow Andrew great photos especially with beautiful nature. In my opinion the second photo is the best. The bench has an amazing shape. I have never seen before. Definitely each big city needs a lot of parks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, while I had seen the building in the second photo before, it must have been repainted and looks much better.

      Delete
  2. In Sydney we have similar buildings to that art deco, Spanish touches, building in the second photograph. Some are around the Camperdown/Newtown area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, not area I am so familiar with. I am a bit surprised about Newtown. Interesting.

      Delete
  3. The softer side of Melbourne a good tramp around.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, never get tired of looking. There is always something to see.

      Delete
  4. Loved this meander with you. And it reminded me I haven't left the house in over a week. Agoraphobic? Moi? Perhaps a little....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, blame the weather, but you should get out, even just for a stroll around the block.

      Delete
  5. The houses in Alfred Square look excellent, at least as far as we can see in a photo. I must go there, wander around and poke into the original documents. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels. You will be walking the streets of St Kilda. You will be a street walker :-) I can really recommend City of Port Phillip podcast which guides you around a few streets in this part of St Kilda.

      Delete
  6. I like that interesting bench very much, do you think anyone would notice if I stole it away one dark night?
    The art deco looks very lovely, nicely kept, but I don't like that "moderne" style much, the gate looks like it was part of a turnstile.
    The backlit Angel is quite nice to look at.
    Newer modern varieties of Bouganvillea are available without the thorns and less of a rambling habit. All varieties flower best when not watered too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you and which army. I think it would be very heavy. Yes, moderne can be a little too plain for me, but I like the curves. The Bougainvillea I had a lot of experience with was certainly not a modern variety then.

      Delete
  7. I love art deco. There is one - ONE ONLY - art deco place within a 100km radius of me. It is a lovely house in a quaint town called Berry - if anyone saw the new vet show on Foxtel last year, those vets are based in Berry.

    I will have to take a photo of it next time I am over that way. To make it even more awesome, it has a Hibiscus hedge with all different kinds of hibiscus. It went up for sale a few years ago and I got to see the floor plan which I found to be incredible. :) But I did not manage to see it open for inspection - it sold before the open happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Snoskred. There is quite a lot of art deco in country Victoria, often saved by being in what became poor towns. I am surprised there is not more in your state. I love to see photos of the one you mention.

      Delete
  8. Merci beaucoup Andrew that was a most enjoyable walk. J'adore the art deco touches to the buildings.. bougainvillea can be unmanageable, but most beautiful things are oui :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, art deco when done properly really is of such beauty, especially early art deco.

      Delete
  9. What a nice excursion for me !

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh art deco I loves you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you would be familiar with Mandalay, Fen.

      Delete