Friday, January 23, 2015

Musical Monday on Friday

An alliteration fail, and oh how I love alliteration. River does Musical Monday on Monday but she doesn't do Wednesday's Words until Friday, so surely there is no issue with me doing Musical Monday on Friday.

Twenty minutes is not too much time out of life to note down the lyrics to this song and I didn't mind doing it, because some selfish uncaring person had not done it for me already. In spite of excellent diction, it is an old recording and not every word was fully clear to me, so my version of the lyrics could be disputed, but I am are pretty close.

The song released in 1934 was composed by Jack O'Hagan, of The Road to Gundigai fame, and the singer is Clement Williams. Note Clem's correct pronunciation of Melbourne.

It is a terrifically catchy and rollicking piece of music, and as songs were produced back then, with a long musical introduction. It references the visit to Melbourne by the Duke of Gloucester to open Melbourne's centenary celebrations,  The MacRobertson Trophy Air Race (London to Melbourne) and of course our famous horse race, The Melbourne Cup.



Here are the lyrics.

Let's Take a Trip to Melbourne

Here is a tonic for those depressed
Now listen a moment and I'll suggest
A method so sound to banish all the gloom
Pack up your troubles and let them ride
Cast every worry and care aside
You've everything to gain and not to lose
What is this remedy, I hear you ask
It's simple as ABC, an easy task
Follow the throng, along
Make life a happy song
Let's take a trip to Melbourne
There's lots to do, and through
A welcome waits for you
So let's take a trip to Melbourne
Come along and greet the Duke and see the Melbourne Cup
And see the air race finish. Watch the numbers going up
So follow the throng, along
Make life a happy song
Let's take a trip to Melbourne
Follow the throng, along
Make life a happy song
Let's take a trip to Melbourne
There's lots to do, and through
A welcome waits for you
So let's take a trip to Melbourne
There'll be sports galore
And there's the Grenadiers Band
So be a dinkum Aussie
Give the Guards a hand
So follow the throng, along
Make life a happy song
Let's take a trip to Melbourne
All the greatest golf in sight
And tennis players too
Have come afar from foreign lands
So why not you
So follow the throng, along
Make life a happy song
Let's take a trip to Melbourne

16 comments:

  1. Now that is a frolic down memory lane. The music, the lyrics, the sentiment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, pleased you enjoyed it. I had only hear a line or two of it to introduce a tv story.

      Delete
  2. Andrew it is an interesting post. It is a great journey to the past..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The old shots and the old song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, some good photos were including and some not so good more recent photos.

      Delete
  4. Well that was fun, I've heard the tune before but the words were new to me.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticks in your brain a bit Merle, well did mine.

      Delete
  5. Wow, songs certainly were different back then, I haven't heard anything like it in quite a long while. I like the photo slide show of Melbourne sights too. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I did come across some links to other place name music. I may feature some more.

      Delete
  6. Sound like a light operatic song. Well sung, and I do like how he signs Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes no doubt it is light operatic, which I don't mind at all.

      Delete
  7. A lot of fun for a Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very happy tune, Mitchell, for a country still suffering from economic depression.

      Delete
  8. Looooved it Andrew, you did an excellent job with the words.. I was checking :) hey I often do Monday murals on Tuesday, I figure most of my readers live on the other side of the world where my Tuesday is their Monday anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the world seems to know no time zones when it comes to blogs. When I woke for work yesterday, the radio announcer read out the times around Australia and it was 2.30am in WA.

      Delete