Friday, January 16, 2015

More on wrap

 Seems I am not the only one with Glad Wrap issues . From the Herald Sun.


UPDATE: GLAD Wrap users driven crazy by a new packaging design are resorting to using scissors and turning the box upside down.
Frustrated customers have bombarded the Herald Sun website to vent over the switched location of the serrated cutter from the base of boxes to the lid.
Many say they are wasting too much plastic film while trying to figure out a new pull-and-cut technique. Some have put new rolls in old boxes to get around the system.
“Lid mounted” cutter bars are standard in the United States and Canada and considered safer than the old style.
But many Aussies seem unimpressed.
“I’m glad I’m not the only one. It has been a running joke in our family over Christmas after much cursing,” Jan said.
“Cutter is useless for right handers.. and having to rip upwards means the glad wrap sticks to itself and the lid isn’t strong enough if you decide to flip the box and rip the other way. Last Glad packet I’ll buy.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Have your say in the comments section below
Another reader blasted the new packaging as “pure insanity”.
“We have wasted more than we have used recently and cannot continue with this brand unless they revert to the old packaging. What young genius decided to break something that had worked perfectly well for years. NOT HAPPY.”
Glad said the change followed “consistent” complaints about cut fingers or the risk of child injuries from an exposed blade, and “rigorous” in-home research.
But a message posted on its Facebook page yesterday read: “However, we are actively listening to our loyal customer base, taking the current feedback concerning the new cutter bar location very seriously and this is currently under review.”
Scores of scathing comments and demands for a return of the pack familiar to Australians for 49 years have emerged on social media.
“A complete moron must have designed this thing,” one frustrated customer said.
Another said: “I’ve wasted more than I’ve used and ended up throwing the whole lot in the bin.”
Glad Australia marketing director Phil James said the change was part of several revisions based on customer feedback, including improved cling, a sturdier box and an easier way to start the roll.
“To put this into context this is one of a number of changes we have made to provide our consumers with an overall better experience,” he said.
Colleen Lawrence, of Kew, read the instructions but still found it awkward.
“Pulling up towards the weakest part of the box isn’t logical,” she said. “The former way is far better, you can apply pressure and it is far easier to rip without crinkling the wrap.”
Mr James said almost two-thirds of the 550 consumers who trialled the changes preferred the new pack.
Glad introduced “lid mounted” cutter bars more than a decade ago in the United States, and seven years ago in Canada.
The brand, owned by US company Clorox, commands more than half of Australia’s $60 million-a-year cling wrap market.

20 comments:

  1. In France, people just toss the box and use a knife to cut the wrap. The boxes simply don't work. I've even seen a box where the "cutter bar" is just a serrated edge cut into the paperboard box. WTF? And, without exception, any box falls apart before you're halfway through the roll of wrap. Not to mention that the best surface for clinging the wrap is the wrap itself. It won't hang onto a bowl's edge, but damned if you can get that stuff apart once it clings to itself.

    I know. First world problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, clearly France has gone down the safe road with just a serrated cardboard cutter on a flimsy box. Cutting wrap with a knife is a skill I don't have, but may have to learn. I've seen some commercial wrap dispensers and they look very strong.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen any of these lid mounted cutter bars, but I know I wouldn't buy it.
    The only improvements gladwrap needs is to be once again as sturdy as originally, it's too thin now, and available in a larger size as well as the regular, for those who cover large salad bowls or platters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes size is all. It does need to be wider, but then the roll does not fit in our drawer across wise.

      Delete
  3. If I had realised that the cutter bar was on the lid I wouldn't have bought it. And I cursed the fact that the old roll had been finished or I would have swapped boxes. I hope they return to the tried and true, but the statistics indicating that two-thirds of the customers prefer the new box doesn't make me hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, swap boxes is what we did. I really doubt that statistic.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, and I never knew any different. I'll be eyeing that American Glad wrap cutter on the lid box with dysfunction in my eyes. Thanks for letting me in on this problem. I did not know it was one. Now I do. It may mess me up but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Strayer, I am not blaming you for your country's well meant campaign to save fingers from a cut by a metal cutting strip. But it is just not working for us.

      Delete
    2. It makes sense, that we'd have it one way and you another, you are down under and we up over. Or something. the Glad Wrap people should respect that it might be better one way on one side of the world and another on the other. I'm confusing myself. But that's ok.

      Delete
    3. That makes sense Strayer, I think.

      Delete
  5. That's funny. I got used to it but prefer the old way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you can get used to being punched on the nose too. Now if you had to go back to making sandwiches for school lunches........

      Delete
  6. Libby Gorr talked about this on breakfast radio this morning. My gladwrap is so old, I don't use it much. But now I'm glad, or I might be as frustrated as all those new box folk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity I missed Libby, Fen. Yes, keep your old box.

      Delete
  7. The quickest way to get any changes made to anything is if everyone who doesn't like it just changes brands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, easy to do with wrap, not so easy with governments. It is a fairly trivial thing in a not so great world wide start to the year, but the hoards always need a distraction.

      Delete
  8. Haven't bought any for ages due to having a large quantity at home here and from my late dad, it will be while before I need to buy some, but I will look when I go shopping to see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, it might have all returned to normal by then.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Victor, not as bad as when the Coco Cola recipe was changed, but the outrage is growing.

      Delete