Sunday, January 11, 2015

An Acland Street Ambulation

We took a trip to St Kilda with Little Jo for brunch. Although it was a Monday, it was quite busy and no tables at our favourite cafe. There were seats at Rococo and we sat and the waiter asked if we wanted a drink and took the order and said she would be back with menus. Before she left we thought she said there would be a 15 minute wait for meals, but maybe she said 50 minutes. We indicated what we thought was 15 minutes was ok, so we waited and waited for menus. Eventually another waiter brought our coffee and lemonade for Little Jo and asked if we would like menus and we said yes and she then said the kitchen would be closed for half an hour for the change over from breakfast to lunch. I've never experienced such a thing before. Little Jo was already showing signs of boredom, so we declined, finished our drinks and went to the cake shop next door and had a pie, pastie and sausage roll. Even that took a while, so I suggested Little Jo take some photos, which will be in another post.

Afterwards we walked down to the end of Acland Street and Little Jo wanted to look inside the arcade. As we knew, there was little of interest inside for her but a bit to interest me.

Hands up who remembers the gift shop, Polka Dot Palm? It has long gone, a fire I seem to recall. But further up the street is Urban Attitude with lots of bits and pieces to pick up and look at and put down again. That amused the three of us for fifteen minutes. Then on to Readings book shop, and Little Jo was in heaven, soon sitting on the floor surrounded by books she was interested in. I have that already, was often heard.

We left the bookshop and started walking to the tram stop to go home and the wind suddenly swung around to become a cold south westerly. Perfect timing and we were soon on corner opposite home shivering in the cold blast.

When we caught the tram to St Kilda we found our local tram shelter has been turned into a lounge room for the homeless. Note the radio.


I did not have earphones with me to test whether sound would emanate from these sockets. The sign indicated they worked. A yes, Little Jo's legs can be seen.


The 'couch' sits over the bench seat. The synagogue appears to be a reflection but it on the other side of glass.


As we left the tram in St Kilda,  I thought, I have not really decided about this new building, but I guess that might nearly be me saying it is ok. Perhaps I have become used to it.


The Vineyard, with a large outdoor seating area, is very popular, especially on a warm summer night. To use an old expression, it goes off. There are always guards there in the evening, which tells you something.


Less than a fine experience at Rococo. Their other branch in Fitzroy Street opened too late for us to dine and drink at during last year's Pride March. Its loss was Leo's gain and it was collectively quite a substantial bill.


Seems to be apartments above the cafes where we were.


There were some things of interest inside the Coles arcade for me. Oh for the days before tram drivers became boring suburban types. I really like this sculpture and it is better if it is broken down into photographic bits.


Holding a can of VB. SM-32 intrigued me. It seems to be a figure which is something to do with scale modelling. Apart from the obvious S&M connotations, I also recalled SM32 for an aching tooth, but no, that was SM33.


Luna Park is less than 500 metres away.



The must be more murals in St Kilda than anywhere else on earth.


From the tram home, the placid Port Phillip Bay waters were now very choppy, with lots of white crests forming in the strong wind. As it does in Melbourne, the temperature must have dropped 10 degrees in 10 minutes.


18 comments:

  1. Odd that the sign for Rococo doesn't reflect the style of the restaurant (at least that bit of its style that I can see from the photograph).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, there is nothing rococo about the restaurant. I think the name was chosen without anyone knowing what it meant.

      Delete
  2. What a delightful perambulation. And how I wish the temperature would drop ten degrees here. Though today we have some blissful rain and it is cooler than it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I expect you have being experiencing weird weather, as have we.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I like your post because it is varied. I wonder at Reading shop It is possible only for a while but I don't have to buy a book . Am I right? At my place they don't exists yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't think anyone is asked to stop reading books in a bookshop. A place like Readings would be pleased to encourage children to read, even if it is on the floor and the books are not paid for.

      Delete
  4. Perfect... you covered the most interesting part of Melbourne's suburbs since 1950! Readings book shop is terrific, the cake shops are still delicious (although asking people to wait for a menu for more than 15 mins is unacceptable) and The Vineyard was one of our favourite haunts when we lived in St Kilda.

    Fond memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we once had to buy something in the Woolworths and we left via the bottle shop and around and down the delivery lane back to Acland Street. Little Jo asked me if I knew where we were going. I told her yes, but I should have said, darling child, your Auntie Andrew knows St Kilda rather well.

      Delete
  5. That's an odd looking facade where you got off the tram. Interesting, but odd. Is it supposed to represent anything do you know? I like the Luna Park photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, not that I know of. When it was first built, the copper was bright and shining and did not look great, but it has aged in a year or so and looks better now.

      Delete
  6. I think Urban Attitude is the shop I like browsing in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I guess it is the only one of its kind there. It used to do my head in with sloping shelves, but I did not even notice them this time.

      Delete
  7. 'If you don't like the weather in Melbourne, wait 15 mins." that saying rings true according to your post. There were lots of interesting things to see in St Kilda. Bad news about the service in the cafe. Vote with your feet, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, indeed and how we welcome that cold southerly blast on a very hot day.There is a lot to see in St Kilda, one of our oldest areas, although disconnected from the city in early days.

      Delete
  8. Seems you didn't have a good start to your non brunch, annoying that when you are hungry. We have a town of murals, it's called Sheffield.
    Sounds as if you had a few seasons in the oneday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I must check out Sheffield then. I don't know it all. You would have had similar weather on the same day, I suppose.

      Delete
  9. The mural beside the escalator is fabulous and so is Luna Park. All the places you show, seem very artful and colorful to me. We don't have that sort of thing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I like the mural too. I usually show nice and or interesting areas of inner Melbourne or local tourist destinations, and not the mile after mile of suburban housing in greater Melbourne where the bulk of the population lives.

      Delete