Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sunday Selections

River and a loose collection of blog folk use Sunday to post a collection of photos. My contribution this week is a random collection.

R's brand new unworn shirt has a hole in it. I guess something happened in the washing machine, which is my department. Never happened before.


The street trees have been adorned with Christmas bows. I've seen a few odd bows on trees but not a whole street done.


Next to our favoured Altona car wash is a Salvation Army store. For some reason that puzzles me, people treat it like an area to dump rubbish.I picked up a girl's umbrella, a pretty pink. It couldn't be opened. The mechanism was broken. It may have cost $5 to buy new. Crazy!


There is more than one reason to cross the West Gate Bridge to wash the car. Lunch at Altona Beach Village. Note the cricket bat in the cafe window to commemorate the passing of cricketer Phillip Hughes.


The more vertical the car windscreen is, the less large it needs to be.


Across the road a visitor to this apartment was doing something with a broom. Too far away to see exactly what.


Triffids will be ready to attack by Christmas Day.


Ho hum, another Christmas, the same old tree in the foyer. Great that we have one though.


The building's library. The books in the box are yet to be sorted to the correct shelves. It works on an honesty system and seems successful.


A Frankston carpark and a murder of ravens, assuming murder is the collective noun for ravens as well as crows. There must have been about two dozen of them but they are hard to see against the black plastic bags and some are out of shot. Very irresponsible to leave the lid open.


A little amusement to wrap up. Whitley Bay was R's local beach when he was but a lad. The family used to take the train from Newcastle and sit on the beach, play in and out of the water and eat ham sandwiches, while his father propped up the bar of the local beachside hotel.



We are away at Sister and Bone Doctor's for a couple days on the Bellarine Peninsular. Internet options will be public wi-fi, blow out my measly 250mb phone data allowance or con Bone Doctor's home wi-fi password from her.

23 comments:

  1. Andrew, the most fascinating is tree adorned with bows. I have never seen it before but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I thought it was a nice idea. The street is not very long.

      Delete
  2. Love those bows. I would like to see it here.
    Have fun on the Bellarine Peninsula. Good luck at extracting that wi-fi password.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having fun EC. No luck with the password. Her allowance is quite small. There will be a win for Telstra.

      Delete
  3. Nice touch are the red bows. Something different. Enjoy the days away. 250mb of data, gone in a flash i expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, just received a dire sms, 80% used with four billing days left. 40 % gone in an hour last night.

      Delete
  4. Whatever the neighbour was doing with that broom apparently required little clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Victor. It was difficult to work out exactly what he was doing. We had not seen him before but the owner of the apartment is a gay.

      Delete
  5. How super that the building's library is run on an the honour system and works. It reminds me of the idealism of my youth when kibbutz members shared everything, with total integrity.

    Do you use the library? Do people keep adding more books, when they have finished reading their own stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I really like honesty systems and I am very pleased when they work well. Like people leaving fruit or whatever on country roads and you leave the payment. You don't hear of much about the abuse of the system.

      I haven't. I am surprised to not see it overwhelmed with books. Possibly there are books stored as the committee usually keep strict control over such things. I will have to have a home book cull some time next year and will just take them down.

      Delete
  6. Sweeping of course, what else odes one do with a broom? Your foyer tree is lovely and I'm envious of the library.
    That pile of dumped goods looks like rubbish, true, but just wait until someone tries to take some of it. The authorities are on them quick smart, claiming they are stealing money from a charity. I don't see it like that. If the same goods were on the roadside for the annual hard rubbish collection and people rummaged through taking things, no one would care at all. Half the time charity shops are way over stocked anyway and can't sell what they have. I've heard from someone who works in one that every few years a clearance is done by sending truckloads to the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it may have been a mop but he seemed to only doing along the windows. Our councils police the road side collections as they don't want all the good things taken, but it is an uphill battle. I am not surprised about stuff going to the tip.

      Delete
  7. Yep go with Bone doctor'e password. The shirt with hole is called a knitting fault. When the huge knitting machines make the fabric sometimes a needle or thread ends up in the wrong place and cuts the threads or slices them and it doesn't take much to pull apart into a hole.
    I would return the shirt and ask for a replacement. If not the store, the manufacturer. I know this stuff because I used to work for Bonds Wear and had to test customer returns. Knitting faults were common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Diane. I hope he still has the shirt. Thanks. I Was sure I did not snag it on anything.

      Delete
  8. *waves at the topless neighbour*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, they never look up.

      Delete
  9. Don't let the shirt shop blame that fault on cat claws. All my clothing has cat claw holes in front and on the shoulders.
    That green car with the 'small' windscreen is a Bristol. The grille is similar to BMW because they started out in 1947 using BM designs. There is an active Melbourne owners club. Lovely car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bristol? Why am I thinking of Benny Hill? I don't think we had many Bristol cars here.

      Delete
  10. BONE doctor pw probably 'osteo1"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I ended up increasing my data allowance for a few days, then I will switch it back.

      Delete
  11. Annoying about the shirt, has happened to me a few times! Have a good time at Bone doctor's and just use violence to get the wi-fi password!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I hope you read Diane's comment. Take the garments back. BD is far fitter, stronger and younger than me, so violence is out of the question.

      Delete