Monday, December 15, 2014

Such botheration before Christmas

Should I say anything about the siege underway in Sydney? I have not been to Martin Place since the early 1980s. It was quite horrid then. There is little to say about the siege yet media has given us a rolling coverage since the event began, and essentially said nothing. Politicians have spoken and essentially said nothing. Police have spoken and also said nothing. If it is a Moslem attack designed to garner publicity and create fuss and panic, it has worked.

While it is a huge event of great interest, I wonder if it would be better if we read about the event after it happened. Yes, impossible in these instant media days. If you tweeted to #martinplacesiege with 'my prayers are with you', I hope you get struck by lightening. Neither God nor Mohamed will help those inside against a nutter.  If you retweeted an unconfirmed rumour, I also hope you are struck by lightening.

Our police forces and special type police cost us a lot of tax money because they are very highly trained. I will leave the resolution up to them. I think they know what to do better than I do, and better than most of you.

Kapow! Got him between the eyes with my .22 boss!

18 comments:

  1. I saw the coverage as soon as I turned on my TV, so I changed channels and there it was again. I suggested to my daughter that since the siege is in a Lindt Cafe, the proprietor should offer the guy hot chocolate and keep them coming until he gets sleepy and falls asleep.
    At least some of the hostages have been let go and there is only one bad guy in there. Hopefully it will all resolve peacefully and soon. do we even know what he is demanding? If anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, if the chocolate was tried, it did not work so well.

      Delete
  2. I have been watching as working. Truly the man can't be all there in his head, he's got to be 'mad' or something. I feel for the people that are being held hostage and their friends and family. No one is saying anything, you are correct on that, for the demands that he wants they don't wish to be published yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, with hindsight, it seems he was.

      Delete
  3. Martin Place is a tourist and business site, these days. The Barracks, the Mint, head office of the big banks, supreme court, Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital, Cenotaph etc etc. No wonder there were thousands of people to get safely out of the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it was a well chosen target.

      Delete
  4. It was a tense morning for us Andrew, my daughter in law and granddaughter were locked in a building in Martin Place for most of the morning before they were able to go home.. Wonder how it will pan out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that must have been awful for them. At least they are safe and as we now know, not everyone was.

      Delete
  5. So much we don't know - or weren't told.
    Not hostages as I understand the term - as far as we have been told he wasn't asking for anything.
    Terrifying for those involved and their families.
    It seems to be over now - so perhaps some answers will emerge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, good point. I don't know if he had demands, but whatever, they would have been impractical.

      Delete
  6. Haven't had the radio or tv on yet so don't know the actual outcome. I'm sure there were reasons for the large police presence even tho' to us outsiders it did seem a bit of an overkill. Worldwide publicity too!!
    And I'm sre 'they'll' tell us when they feel we are ready to know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, well you would have caught up by now. Seems so many police weren't overkill.

      Delete
  7. Although now over it doesn't seem to be without loss of life. How tragic for all those families this Christmas that are touched by this terrorist's action. Unfortunately he certainly seemed to achieve his goal of publicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, truly awful for some people and perhaps they will always associate the event with Christmas. It now seems unrelated to terrorism as we use the word.

      Delete
  8. Andrew, what a horrible situation .It means it can happen everywhere. There is no safe place in the contemporary world..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, true and it just bad luck for some people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

      Delete
  9. Lucky for me I'm on nightshift and unluckily for me I was shunted out to woop woop (read far north west suburbs) to do shifts last night and tonight. Work accross the road from said cafe. Sad outcome for the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better away from it I think Allan.

      Delete