Sunday, December 14, 2014

One should get out more often

An old Jewish woman, a Greek fisherman, a young Irish backpacker, a 44 year old very drunk Aussie and a really hot gay dude, moi, walked into a bar and how interesting was the conversation.The drunk Aussie was holding court and mostly talking the crack about music, but there were discussions of fish by Greek fisher Nick and the Irish backpacker was incomprehensible. Three times he told me his name before I picked it up, but I have now forgotten what it was. The Aussie swayed forward and back and but did not fall over and was most emphatic that while he loved fishing, he had never fished from St Kilda Pier. The old Jewish woman loved The Doors and for her age, she was surprisingly conversant with modern music and with Greek Nick's favourite traditional songs too.

At the same bar, I watched horse racing and soccer on screens. I minded my own business and how lovely that when I left the area a long haired bearded hipster stood up from his seat and opened the door for me as I departed. I waxed between how kind, and so you should open the door for me. I gave him the most brilliant smile I could muster.

Such are nights at The Dick. Dinner was good and with sixteen people joining us, there was always someone new to chat to once I was bored with the previous person.

Tomorrow River will publish her Musical Monday post. My inaugural Musical Monday post is of my favourite Doors track, Love her Madly, coming to you on Sunday because of a backlog of posts.

I am sure it is blokes like Jim Morrison that made me gay.

 


14 comments:

  1. I am back and can read posts again ! The Internet connection in our hotel was very slow ! I saw Jim Morrison's grave in Paris, they had to protect it with a fence and a guard, too many junkies had left their things on the grave and it was full of love declarations in graffiti form. The graves around suffered from that too and the families had complained !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, what a relaxing holiday you have had. Free wi fi in hotels should be standard and should work fast. Interesting about Morrison's grave. I wonder why he was buried in Paris.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you had me thinking with your first couple on line, I thought you were going to tell a joke :) Sounds as if you had an interesting time.
    The Doors, I know the name, remember the lead singer (above) but can't recall any of the songs. I believe he was living in Paris when he died there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting evening WA. The other song they are well known for is Riders on the Storm. He must have had an attachment to Paris. I get that.

      Delete
  3. Interesting evening. Loved your opening. I was expecting a joke and punchline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, many lines came to mind, but I refrained.

      Delete
  4. Yup I can see your point Andrew he was rather yummy :) I saw his spot in Pere Lachaise Cemetery also, flowers and incense abound.. I think he died in a hotel in Paris that's why he's there.. I could be wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes that seems to be the case about where he died. I think I've heard it is quite a shrine to him and has many visitors.

      Delete
  5. He had such a sensual voice and persona that I suspect he made many of us think of sex. Without regard to gender. Looking as good as he did didn't hurt either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I wonder if Michael Hutchence had the same quality?

      Delete
  6. I've never been a big fan of The Doors although he music is acceptable. Nice that you are joining in with Musical Monday even if a day early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I will probably do it sporadically. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I wax and wane with the Doors. As that comedian who's name I forget said "I'm drunk - I'm nobody, I'm drunk - I'm famous, I'm drunk - I'm dead"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who you are talking about Fen, and you can't recall his name. We are at an impasse.

      Delete