Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Little Jo, 1. Andrew, 0.

Photos to come from our two nights away on the Bellarine at Sister's. Little Jo, R and myself were playing a game at the basket ball hoop. She had a thin stick with a small ball on the end and was standing under the hoop trying to knock the basketball out as it began to descend through the hoop. If she failed, it fell on her head. She was not in the best of moods, but a big poo later at a cafe saw her return to a more cheerful state.

The game concluded and she mounted the trampoline for a bounce. I stuck the thin stick through two opposing holes on the basket ball hoop pole. "Andrew, can you take the stick out please." "Why Little Jo? It is Christmas and it looks like a cross". "Andrew, you are so dumb. A cross is for Jesus at Easter. Take it out please".

She is a lippy lass and bites at nearly every remark. Sister wasn't as bad when she was young. Sister and Bone Doctor said they are seeing Mother's traits coming through with Little Jo. They bypassed Sister, who is always busy, outgoing and very social, nothing like Mother.

At the age of two, Mother, Sister and Little Jo looked identical, all with long curly blonde hair. Yet after plying Bone Doctor with a Scotch or two, she said Little Jo also looks like her half brother and sisters too, Little Jo's biological father's children.

I feel awful saying it, but I just don't hit it off or get along very well with Little Jo. If there is a tech issue with a device, she will ask me, but mostly I am just in the background, the silly old uncle. In a weak moment, I mentioned this to R, and he quite rightly said, I have put in the hard yards and you haven't. This is true up to a point, but I am always in the background doing things for her, just not the direct contact. Anyway, she can be quite short with R too, in spite of hundreds of hours of care he has given her. Even R said after we returned from the Bellarine, she is terribly spoilt and really suffers from the single child syndrome. Ha, just like Mother.

No one will see our Christmas decorations this year. I can't remember the last time someone actually visited us. Ok, not so long. We took Little Jo to see the Myer Christmas window and while I am at work, R will look after Little Jo on Sunday while Sister and Bone Doctor go to the cricket.

I must be feeling a little maudlin. I will pour myself a large gin and tonic and as gin is a depressive, make the situation complete.

Therapy by writing is complete. I am my Mother's son.

12 comments:

  1. Andrew , so you must send your Christmas so thy can be visible for your blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see later, Gosia.

      Delete
  2. It's funny how we take on traits of our parents. I'm always stopping myself in my tracks thinking your are just like mum or dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, I suppose it is normal. I certainly have a few of my mother's traits.

      Delete
  3. I know I look like my mother and dread to think I will become her in other ways. In most other ways. She did some admirable things I would love to emulate, and did some appalling things which make me cringe in retrospect.
    I hope your gin and tonic gave way to a pleasant, restorative sleep. Happy Christmas - and thank you for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, aren't all parents pretty much like that, good in parts and not so good in other areas? It was the first gin for 2014 a deliciously strong and chilled. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I have spent most of my life trying hard NOT to be like my mum and I think I've succeeded in a lot of ways, but there are bits of her that slip through. Overall, I'm happier and less domineering than she was, but I may have carried that a bit too far as I'm not as involved with the grandchildren as I'd like to be. Mostly I'm comfortable with that, being a loner, but sometimes I'd like to see them more.
    You could post your Christmas decorations here Andrew, we'd be happy to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, wouldn't it be so good to just switch people on when you wanted them there and switch them off when you wanted to be alone. Aside from the tree, we barely did any decorating this year.

      Delete
  5. Where's my bloody invite to see your decorations? I put none up this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tree Fen, which was on the day's earlier post and you can see the lights on the balcony as you drive past.

      Delete
  6. In moments of reflection my mother would remark that I might look like her but I take after my father.

    The first half of that comparison was agreed by all who often remarked on our visual similarity. The second half of that comparison was not meant to be a compliment and was usually only uttered when my mother was displeased with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .Victor, the utterance 'just like your father' was heard many times as I was growing up, but not really at home as none of us were at all like him.

      Delete