Friday, December 26, 2014

Hello Sailor

A few years ago I discovered the live yacht tracker on the website of Sydney to Hobart yacht race. I decided to choose a yacht to offer mental support to. I did not want one of those big flash monsters that skim across the water, but something a little quirky. From memory it was a yacht built in the 20th century and from Tasmania. It was proper wooden boat. I had some fun following its very slow progress down Australia's east coast, across Bass Strait, down Tasmania's east coast and up the Derwent River to Hobart. If it did not come last, it was certainly among the last to cross to the finish line at Hobart's Constitution Dock.

I had some spare time today, so I chose a yacht to follow this year and it is Katharsis II, a Polish entrant in the world famous race.

What do you think of her? She looks older to me than her 6 years of age. I don't think they will be dining like this while they are sailing the most dangerous yacht race in the world. Yes, lives have been lost in the past.




Gratuitous photo of handsome crew member. Of course for me to be at all interested in a sport, a nice looking bloke must be a participant. I think his name is Kuba or Kuby.


This is a brief interview with the crew here. They are enjoying Australia's warm weather, but it can be very cold when racing into a southerly wind.

16 comments:

  1. 2 hours til sail off. There's one called Chutzpah, it's a cool word so I shall go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, that is how I choose horses in the Melbourne Cup, usually unsuccessfully.

      Delete
  2. Boxing Day is the day of massive sales in the shops and, especially, sporting events.If it doesn't rain today I would prefer go to the Boxing Day cricket test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. And I already have tickets for the Australian Tennis Open in January.

    Yachting is gorgeous to look at but ordinary families have less opportunity to really be involved. I want to see every ball on willow with my own eyes, every backhand winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we went into town and it was very busy. Instead of everyone else with designer store bags, we came with Woolworths and Big W plastic bags. We really only went in when other plans fell through.

      Delete
  3. Sales? Meh.
    Sydney to Hobart? Meh - and hopes that they stay safe.
    Cricket? More meh.
    Tennis ditto. No wonder there is no place for my on our Tone's team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you are un-Australian. At least I am trying to be interested in some sport. You won't even pretend.

      Delete
    2. I know. And even feel some guilt. But ball games are just not my thing....
      I do like to watch motor cycling (which doesn't count).

      Delete
  4. Anderew, it is interesting post. The boy's name is Kuba in Polish and in English it is Jacob. Yachting is a nice sport but it is unusual sport for me living 650 from the sea or big lakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, ok Gosia. I was hoping you would know. I doubt the boat or team will do very well, but they have been quite successful.

      Delete
  5. I'd be hopeless trying to guess the age of a boat. If they are well kept, they all look new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the previous one I chose was very easy to tell that it was old. It looked like an old style.

      Delete
  6. Happy tracking. My cousin has a yacht in the race...Obsession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool WA. I wish I had known in advance and may have followed that yacht, but only if there was cute crew member. Bah, I am now following three boats.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you. One of the key aspects in selecting any sporting team to follow is how photogenic are their male participants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, which is why I change my football team annually.

      Delete