Thursday, December 04, 2014

A Dalgety Street Dawdle Pt 2

Wrapping up the walk. This magnificent building is on the corner of Dalgety and Grey Street. The plaque explains.





Out in Grey Street is the Alliance Francaise de Melbourne. Tres bon.


Back packer accommodation, presumably targeting Norwegian travellers.


Many years ago an acquaintance lived in a flat in this block on the corner of Eildon Road. It was the first and only time I have been warmed by a pot bellied heater.


I am sure the ironwork on the balconies is not original but I like it. What silliness to plant a creeper to run through it.


Salvation Army Crisis Centre.


St Kilda Coffee Palace. Melbourne had many coffee palaces opened in a vain effort to reduce the consumption of alcohol. None lasted very long, but many some of the grand buildings did. Vale the Federal Coffee Palace.


The George Hotel faces and dominates Fitzroy Street with its perfect location.


Past the traffic lights is what was St Kilda Railway Station. The train line was replaced with a light rail line that can no longer cope with the number of passengers. The bus replaced the St Kilda to Brighton Beach tram, which ran straight across Fitzroy St and teminated in the station forecourt. The bus turns right and terminates around the corner.


Backpackers buy a car to use while they are here in Australia and sell it when they leave, often at a significant loss. Sometimes the cars are just abandoned.


The marvellous George Hotel again, mostly apartments within.


I remember this as the State Savings Bank. It became a hotel known as The Saint. It has been closed for some time and renovations are under way. Well, that is about it.

20 comments:

  1. That first building is beautiful. I hope they are going to preserve it for the generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I hope so too. The heritage listing mean nothing as far as its future goes.

      Delete
  2. Andrw, your photos are lovely. The first one is the best. Ui woul;d like to visit your coffee shops one day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, our coffee is the best.

      Delete
  3. Love Ripplemere - and the Sallie's Crisis Centre has a lot of charm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, they are all nice old buildings and we must be thankful that much of St Kilda has been preserved.

      Delete
  4. You do have some wonderful buildings in Melbourne.
    If I won lotto I would want a house like the first one, I really like the front door what a entrance.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is quite an entrance to a house. I could get used to it.

      Delete
  5. Lots of wonderful buildings...great to see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, you make me think about how much we still have, rather than what has gone.

      Delete
  6. The Salvation Army Crisis Centre looks like it had been cobbled together from several other buildings, but that makes it all the more charming. I like the look of the George Hotel, are the apartments rented or owned? I'd buy one if I won lotto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you may be right about the Sallie building. I will take another look at the photo big size. They are owned apartments, but some would be rented out to tenants. They would be a unwise choice for you Tatts winnings. They are not well insulated between each other for noise, and nor are they well insulated to the street noise, which is significant.

      Delete
    2. But you would have great cred when saying you lived at The George in Fitzroy Street.

      Delete
    3. Great cred means nothing to me, a lack of proper noise insulation is a big no-no. If I win I'll search elsewhere...

      Delete
  7. I didn't know The Saint had closed. I used to go there weekly, back in the day. Mid week, though I forget which day it was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, yes some time ago. There is another bar a couple of doors along. It too was shut for renovations.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I wouldn't mind a Dalgety Street dawdle. I wonder if the Salvation Army is Australia also discriminates against gay people. And to think I used to drop money in their pot outside Macy's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Mitchell. The matter is brought up every so often. However, they do help very many people in some pretty good ways. This wasn't always the case, in their children's homes.

      Delete
  9. Part two was as enlightening as part one Andrew.. your Alliance Francaise building looks a bit bigger than ours although ours is on a lovely plane tree lined street in a rather posh suburb :) I lime the look of The Saint, hope they do it justice when they restore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, St Kilda is now quite an expensive place to live, but never could be described as posh, and certainly not Grey Street. I think the interior of The Saint went in the last renovation, but the exterior is good.

      Delete