Thursday, November 13, 2014

Update the sat nav

The car salesman gabbled on.......and three free updates for the satellite navigation. Just remove the SD card, put it into your card reader and go online to our website and follow the instructions. All very well for him to say, but we don't have a card reader. I had to buy one, and of course I couldn't find a simple SD card reader. It was only $20, but it does read all sized cards. It's a pretty little thing.


I removed the SD card from the centre console of the car and popped it into the card reader and it all went quite smoothly. I had hoped the update would get rid of red light cameras that no longer exist, especially the one west bound in Dandenong Road at Chapel Street, but it did not.

R asked me how the sat nav works and I don't actually know. We have used three different sat navs in our time, as well as Google Maps on our phones as sat nav devices. We had a play with it when the car was new, but I have simply forgotten. Sometime I have the display on, but I've not needed to use it to find an address. R needs to go to an unfamiliar country address in a couple of weeks, so one of us better work it out. This is what it looks like. It seems it is just too big to integrate into the dash, so it sits there on its own. It is a good position to look at. This isn't our car. No way could I be bothered moving something around that looks like a stick blender. Not so bad in the old days when there were only three gears to choose from. Now there are six. That is a lot of gear changing.


Later edit: I remember now, it is a touch screen, like most sat nav devices.

16 comments:

  1. I have mine just in between the window and the steering wheel so I can glance at it as I'm driving. Great until I go round a corner then it shoots off the top of the dashboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, on our older units, the suction cups used to lose their grip at times, and down the unit would go.

      Delete
    2. Blu-Tak. Stick them down with Blu-Tak.

      Delete
  2. Andrew we have at the same place.Navigation is a great invention. I love it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, while I can read a map, R cannot and so he just loves sat nav.

      Delete
  3. My partner NEEDS sat nav. He has less than no direction sense. Fine when I am with him, a worry when he is travelling on his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am not surprised that you would know where you are going and I bet you can read a map.

      Delete
  4. Contact the local council/visitor centre of the town R has to go to and ask them to send you a map of street locations. They should have them available. Sat Navs!! pfft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just read that R cannot read a map, so scrap that idea above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have seen him try to read a map and it is always at a strange angle. I think it is sense of direction as much as anything.

      Delete
  6. I have a Garmin satnav and it tells me when I have to update it. Then I connect it to my computer with a cable and it does it automatically. Very practical ! I can't read a map neither ! I am totally lost !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I don't know about there, but here they charge a lot to update. We were supposed to get free updates for our old Garmin, but I could never find out how.

      Delete
  7. Sat nabs are good, sometimes they send you up the garden path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I have received advice only once from a sat nav that I would say was wrong. But I have received doubtful advice and at times I know better.

      Delete
  8. I have a road map book! I'm old school :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, what you don't get with a sat nav is the bigger picture. That is why I like to use both.

      Delete