Tuesday, November 04, 2014

The Nephew

Dreaded Nephew became Non Dreaded Nephew after he had his dreads cut off. He is absolutely my favourite nephew and shall probably called Nephew from here on in. It is irrelevant that I only have one nephew. Did I write that I sent him $500 when he and his Jewish partner seemed a bit broke when they were travelling in South America? I think I did.

No soon had he returned, and he made an effort and due diligence to visit his Nan and she was chuffed to see him, that is my mother. 

He was straight back to work as soon as he returned home, as was his partner. I admire him because although he grew up in the swamps of Langwarrin (someone might get that) he is at ease in bogan/chav areas as he is in in hip inner city society. I have wondered about his adaptability which goes as far as working in Gippsland as a fire fighter,  and I can only conclude that he is just such a nice person.

He invited people via Face Book to a celebrations for he and his partner's return at some place called The Nash in Richmond. He changed it to smashing some dumplings in China Town and following on at Section 8. There was a time when I thought I might be able to discreetly fit into Section 8. Nah, too trendy and out of my league.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry he cut his dreads. There goes my image of dreaded nephew.
    What is Section 8?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, yes he has a boring look now. Section 8 is an outdoor bar in a small lane, with a shipping container used as the bar servery. It was or maybe still is quite a hip place.

      Delete
  2. I have several nephews and now (shudder) great neices and nephews. I was never a good aunt and now I am a great aunt.
    Where do the years go...
    And how nice that from the sounds of things you would like your nephew even without the blood tie. The very best kind of relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, he is just such a nice person, charming too but not in any sort of false way.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I always admire dreaded people. They are so brave in my opinion .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think his dreads served him well when he was working in Glasgow.

      Delete
  4. Most gay men have a fav nephew
    I have a favourite niece ( in law)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, R has options, and I don't think he does have a favourite, but then they are a long way away.

      Delete
  5. You were very generous to help them out when they were travelling. He must be a nice fellow maybe like a son for you.I have 2 nephews both overweight and living miles away from me but thanks to the digital age it is easy to contact them. They are nice blokes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, matters not that they are overweight. That they are nice blokes is the most important thing.

      Delete
  6. aah so section 8 still exists? I went there not long after it opened, on a coolish night. They were serving mulled wine that smelled fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy Fen, I think it has been going since we moved here. That would be twelve years ago.

      Delete
  7. Was good of you to give him money whilst he was on holiday. I don't have nephews or nieces, have in law ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I was much younger than he is now, also on holidays and broke. I know what it feels like.

      Delete