Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday Selections

I reckon that River and Elephant's Child won't disappoint us with this week's Sunday Selections. 

Proof that we cook, ahem, one of us does. We got sauces and we got ingredients. There would not normally be fresh bought milk nor orange juice but we had house guests. I only cook one thing now and in the door you will find minced garlic, chilli and ginger, fish sauce and sesame oil, all of which I need to make my fried rice.


The ever changing display outside Melbourne Town Hall.


I inadvertently caught one of the 'art trams' in the background. More on them another day.
 


The Sands McDougall Directory was first published in 1857 and annually until 1974 when the task became too expensive and Melbourne too large. It listed every street in Melbourne, who lived there and their occupation.  It is invaluable for historians, researchers and those interested in the family trees. There is a small exhibition of directories at the Melbourne Town Hall gallery. I had a quick look through one and found some family in the early 20th century, although B for Albert was odd until I remembered he was known as Bertie.



A gift from our dyke friend for looking after Dog Jack. Obviously she went to South Australia. The olive oil is to die for and the olives very nice too. Dog Jack has been back with us the last week. The payola this time was a one litre duty free bottle of Glenlivet Scotch whisky. Very nice indeed and only to be taken in small doses (that's the theory).


I've walked along this Carnegie street many times in the past and never noticed the Able Tasman Dutch Club (Tasman was a Dutch explorer of Australia).


I see the light. I see the Lord, the lord of developer profits destroying areas of inner Melbourne with State Planning Minister Matthew Guy as their leader.


Part of Federation Square.


Ah, another art tram passing by in Flinders Street.


Dina with her husband Tim and son Jack have been travelling in the US. Well they live there actually, but as people who like Australia, it is interesting to read of their travel experiences in the US. Dina wondered if the world knew about the type of cactus she was talking about as they travelled through Arizona. I think we do. Photo by

18 comments:

  1. I do love how varied your Sunday Selections are. And all of your fridge door ingredients are staples here as well. For both cooks in this household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Varied is one word EC. Scatty is another, but thanks. Two to share the cooking, how modern.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, you photos are interesting but I love the photo which presents flowerbed and display in front of Town Hall at my place are the same so it is worldwide fashion..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, having annual flowers is rare here now, but they do it in a few select places.

      Delete
  3. Very brave to share the inside of your fridge with fellow bloggers. I hope you check the jars for 'use by dates' more frequently than us...I found something that expired in 2011 the other day in our fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, most of the things do get used regularly. Cranberry sauce may not stand up to date scrutiny. Now was it last Christmas or the one before?

      Delete
  4. Lovely tour. The flowers do look pretty. Great idea that Directory. Would be a seat of work to do one today for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I expect you may have a similar directory. Adelaide also has the same as ours. Ah, took me a while, feat of work. I thought it was amazing that it was still being done in the early seventies.

      Delete
  5. Is that the one they call old man cactus? It grows slowly for many years before it develops the arms?
    I like the floral display by the Town Hall.
    I saw a similar mass of sauces etc in my daughter's fridge once, some of it so old, use by dates from as far back as 2009. I tsk, tsked at her then came home and checked my own fridge where I found mayo and cranberry sauce from 2007!! I've only been here since 2011, how slack of me to bring stuff that should have been thrown out 3 years prior. Tsk Tsk indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the cactus River, but looking at the picture, I think you are correct. As my comment to Ad Rad above, our cranberry sauce may well be out of date, but I don't think anything else is. Just to note there are two brands of French dressing, as I prefer a different one to R, and I like mint sauce whereas he likes mint jelly.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. We have old stuff in our kitchen too. Sometimes it's hard to know if the use-by date needs to be followed religiously or not. A day or so ago, I opened up a can of cranberry sauce with a use by date of November 6. I asked Tim why it was so precise. He says they just want us to throw it away, so we'll buy new cranberry sauce for this Thanksgiving. If they just labeled it "November" we wouldn't feel the need to buy more.

      I'm glad you know about the cactus! It turns out my BIL is a big desert fan and is a cactus expert. From him I learned the name is Saguaro. Though it makes sense that some people would call it Old Man Cactus. Plants seem to have many names.

      Australia doesn't have cactus. Right. I should look into that.

      Delete
    3. Dina, Easter eggs seem to expire about January.

      I thought Saguaro might be the name. Not sure where I heard that. We have prickly pear, but that is an introduced pest.

      Delete
  6. I bet R really appreciates it when you make your 'one' thing Andrew, I know how much I do when P makes me an omelette, that's his one thing, sooo good :) It is amazing how many times you can pass something along a much walked street without 'seeing' it, wonder what made you notice the Able Tasman Dutch Club this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, he certainly does and if it has been a while, I get a reminder. Maybe the Able Tasman Dutch Club was renovated or repainted or changed in some way.

      Delete
  7. When the the first of Melbourne's Art Trams was launched by the Minister for the Yarts, I thought it might be more commercial racketeering.

    But wouldn't it be interesting if there really was a distinctly Melbourne flavour, "bringing the vibrant, layered aesthetic of Melbourne's lane way culture to the main thoroughfares of the city".

    I said the same thing about Art Hotels *blush*. So now we will just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I too was a bit sceptical about the art trams, but misplaced it seems. Better pop back to check about the Art Hotels.

      Delete
  8. Glen Livet only to be taken in small doses - so just one bottle at a time then? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, a person of moderation in all things is me, and don't believe anyone who says differently.

      Delete