Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pride, the weather and a loss

Saturday was a hot day, with the mercury rising to 34 degrees and after shopping in the morning we followed up our plan to see a movie. We had the choice of several Palace Theatres and ended up at the Kino in Collins Street as the time suited us best. The session time was 3.30 and just as we were arriving, a tweet arrived from someone in Port Melbourne saying a cool change had arrived.

Pride, the movie, was great. It is a very English sort of movie and the acting was flawless. I would like to list the standouts, but there are too many. The lead actor is the rather attractive New York born Ben Schnetzer. The cast also included the well  known Bill Nighy and I thought Imelda Staunton was just brilliant. Yes, there both laughs and tears in the audience, and I was not immune. What I did not know but R did, was that the movie was based on true events, as the precredits at the end explained. IMDB tells you a little of the movie here. I never watch movie trailers and I suggest you don't watch either. You will enjoy the movie more I think and I do highly recommend it if you are inclined to watch anything more that blockbuster US movies. I saw The Book Thief when we were flying to Budapest and Ben had a role in the movie, but I never took much notice of him then. Photo of Ben uncredtied from Tumblr. If anyone has seen the movie, can you tell me anything about his curious accent in his movie role?


Imelda Staunton on your left as Hefina in the official movie trailer.


The weather had certainly cooled when we left the theatre and headed to our favourite Thai restaurant Lemon Bistro. We were discussing that we felt Little Bourke Street, Chinatown, should be closed to traffic in the evenings and perhaps all weekend with only access to the commercial carparks when I realised that we were nearly at Swanston Street and had missed the restaurant. We back tracked and found out why we had missed it. The glowing neon sign in the window had gone and the name had changed. Ok, it looked the same inside, so in we went. There was more of a feeling of bustle, less formality and once we were seated with the menu, the focus was clearly on dumplings and the general prices seemed lower. The coveted front window seats had gone, and the area set up for dumpling making, with three staff hard at work. Juicy Bao, its new name, was popular enough with the tables briskly turning over even at 6pm. But while I can't say anything is wrong with its new style, it was not for me and we need to find a new Thai place in town like Lemon Bistro. I am very sad. We have been going there for many years, since our Friend in Japan introduced us to it maybe a decade ago.

Once home, there was a strong and cold southerly wind blowing with the temperature now in the low teens. The overnight ferry, the normally punctual Spirit of Tasmania, usually berths at 6am but too my surprise the next morning when I looked out the window it was still visible in the bay at 6.30. It must have been delayed by a rough trip across Bass Strait.

18 comments:

  1. It is disappointing when a favoured restaurant loses its appeal but the good thing about Thai restaurants is that there are many more to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that Victor. They seem to be fast losing fashion here.

      Delete
  2. Losing a favoured restaurant is indeed a sadness. Good luck in the hunt for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, there is one other nearby we went to once, not really Thai, but it was quite good.

      Delete
  3. That's a shame regarding the restaurant. They come and they go. I haven't been to the movies for years, the theatre is onle about 5km away, anyone would think it was miles away..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes, I rarely go to the movies, but the stars were aligned. Km/miles, haha.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, I think it is interesting film looking at trailer. 34 C for spring it is very hot for my place but it is nice especially in the summer,..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, two days later it is cold, 13 outside now.

      Delete
  5. since his stupendously hysterical bravura performance as a faded rockstar in 'Still Crazy' I have loved Bill Nighy. The thing that makes Brit movies superior for intelligent viewers is that unlike the US, they are brave enough to cast people who are not young pretty skinny and at the height of their popularity.
    The vile taste of coriander keeps me from Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, yes. Look how dowdy Imelda is in the movie, yet she was brill. The Highrise is never without coriander in the crisper.

      Delete
  6. The movie looks good. I like the idea of two groups working together...finding solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenuous connection Dina, but it worked.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen Pride yet, I keep forgetting to check the movie page in the paper, but I read the write-up about it, so I know already that it is based on a true story. I'll catch up with it eventually, probably when it is on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, no doubt it will be on tv, but going to the movies to see something makes whatever you are seeing extra special.

      Delete
  8. Lucky you 34° ! A dream ! I don't even remember when I have been to the cinema ! Sometimes it's good when a restaurant changes the owner !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, 34 is not nice. It is hot. I don't like it. Sometimes it is good when a restaurant owner changes, but not this time.

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely going to catch this one Andrew, such a good cast, looove Bill Nighy! I hate it also when a favourite spot changes hands, so inconsiderate of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace, like when our neighbours moved without telling us.

      Delete