Thursday, November 27, 2014

Karl Stefanovic suit experiment

It has been reported world wide so you may well about Karl Stefanovic and his suit he wore for three months (or one year?) on air and no one remarked at him doing so. I don't know much about Karl except he ok looking, co-hosts a morning tv show and once appeared drunk on air.


His wearing of the same suit for three months was to demonstrate the difference between how male hosts on tv are judged in comparison to female hosts. While he wore the same suit, the comments and criticisms of what his female co-host wore continued to flow in. It was an interesting and productive experiment.

While it does not say I am free of sexism, when I watch tv I pick on men as well women but there does seem a lot more to pick on woman on tv about. Why is it so?

Men's suits are disguises They cover over imperfections. All they have to worry about is tie selection and that their wife has ironed them a shirt. This is not quite true, as some men can look very hot in a suit but most don't. They just conform.

Let me advise on air woman presenters. Buy a good quality female suit, tasteful and smart. Wear it for every on air appearance. Reduce your make up to that of male on air presenters. Wear the same jewellery or none at all and don't change your hairstyle.

I hear them cry, but I want to look good and attractive and that is what my boss tells me I have to be. Well sister, it comes at a price. 

16 comments:

  1. I wonder what the response would be if female presenters followed your advice. Not positive is my guess. Not positive at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People would get used to the less flashy style. After writing this a week ago, I have subsequently heard a female journalist speak on the subject and pointed out that female presenters in the UK are much more restrained in what they wear and how they present and tend to be older. As she noted though, even men won't cut the mustard now if their looks aren't good.

      Delete
  2. Advice to women on how to look good on television? You are brave!

    Did you test your theories on your sister and Bone Doctor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you made me laugh with the thought that Sister and Bone Doctor could have any valid view on women's fashion. Sister has a friend who is 'straight eye for the queer girl' to help her with clothes shopping. I think they would generally support my view though.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I have heard about him brave man. Bu I like unique personality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I was surprised that it was a male who made such a strong point.

      Delete
  4. I heard something about him and a suit. Was it only the suit coat he wore, often they wear jeans as trousers? Good on you for saying about women. Love to see how some of them look without all that makeup & no change of hairdo...real beauty comes within. Many areas in Australia have 'older' women reading the news, i wonder why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly WA. If they have to come out from behind the desk, maybe they don't wear jeans. Clearly I don't see enough of news are the country as they usually seem quite young to me. Even in the 80s, the ABC got rid of female weekend newsreader because of her age, who just happens to be the mother of Jason Donovan.

      Delete
  5. I never take much notice of what the women are wearing (not the men either) unless I see the outfit is particularly ugly or a colour that looks odd against the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I wish I did not take notice of their clothes and concentrated more on what they are saying. Actually, I don't really notice unless it is wrong.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure how to take this in all honesty they should all appear in the nude then we could see how their outfits age over many years ie both men and women at least we would have something to laugh about but maybe it would get a bit boring after a time.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you are thinking Merle Bodies come in endless varieties. Maybe we would not get bored. But we would certainly still have a lot to comment on.

      Delete
  7. I'm the most unobservant person when it comes to noticing what people are wearing... Except that lady with the crazy hair who reads the news on SBS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy Lee Lin Chin, Grace. She does like to party with the gay bois and sets a cracking pace for them.

      Delete
  8. There's WAY too much at stake for women on TV to take your advice! What would happen to all the free publicity that shops/designers/dressers for supplying outfits? How would the networks get their extra free publicity through the 'what she is wearing' stuff in the women's mags?? And how would the TV big boys justify their eternal quest for the younger blonder presenter??? That's FAR too radical an idea, even though I agree with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Red, it interesting that in the UK and Europe woman tv presenters are much more restrained and it works for them. Just to rant, there should be older blokes and women on our tv shows. Clever and smart people with experience of life. Oh, there are some blokes like that.

      Delete