Saturday, November 29, 2014

It's a petunia, petal

The cactus on the balcony has gone to god, well more like down the rubbish chute. There was not a lot to choose from at the large green shed gardening department. Apparently there is high demand at this time of the year. Who would have thought that. While I like the colour of this petunia, it was a bit leggy. I thought it might spread a little once it had free space around it, but it did not. Google to the rescue!

How good is the internet. I remember when the our computer fan stopped working and You Tube showed me exactly how to put in a new one. I took the computer to the shop for them to do it. Then there was our new air con unit that started dripping inside. A You Tube video showed me exactly how to fix it. We called the man back to fix it. Our oven door handle is loose, which requires the door to be taken apart to fix it. The internet showed me an exploded view of the door and all the parts and how it fits together. We will get a man in to fix it. Truthfully, I have lost confidence in myself to fix things. I used to think nothing of pulling things apart, fixing them and putting them back together. Now, I prefer to pay.

Nevertheless, I was prepared to take on the petunia. A little net searching told me more than I needed to know about care of petunias. I deadhead it nearly everyday but I have been doing it wrong. Pulling off the dead flowers is not enough as within the area where the petal grows from are seeds. These need removing, so you pinch it off a bit down the stem. But the stem looks ugly, so what I now do is cut the stalk above closest leaf. I wouldn't expect anyone to go to such bother if they have a mass of petunias growing in their garden, but when you have two balcony plants, you can be quite fussy.

So to remedy the legginess of the plant, I gave it a haircut and a week or so later, it has responded very well. Photo is from when it was first trimmed. Kill or cure I reckon.

28 comments:

  1. Andrew, so it means you have green fingers. Definitely the internet can help us in every day routie, It is an amazing source. I love petunias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't have green fingers or thumbs. You can learn a lot by just looking at a plant and asking yourself why certain things happen.

      Delete
  2. My plants often get a haircut when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is a it cleansing process for you Susie?

      Delete
  3. Petunias have been too water hungry for me to plant them for a few years now - but I do like the splash of colour they provide.
    And sometimes a bit of hard pruning is good therapy for me - as well as for the plants (which may or may not survive).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a shame about the water EC. They are just so good for mass planting. Sometimes almost cutting back to the base is the best thing to do, and yes, that is an analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haircuts always help plants.
    merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I was about six years old when I taught my grandmother that. I massacred her camellia but it came back really well in a couple of years.

      Delete
  6. You did the correct thing. Also i bet you read that the cause can be not enough light. Petunias do look pretty, especially in mass. I have a husband who's handy at repairing things around the house. But no more can be rise on ladders high or stand on the rungs for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I already knew petunias need full sun. Ours gets about six hours midsummer. Yes, I can attest that men over a certain age ought not climb ladders. I was cross with my mother for climbing up on steps to do something. I do stand on steps to change the battery in the outside temperature detector but I ask R to stand behind me. It is a long way down here. So now you have to climb up the ladder?

      Delete
    2. No I don't climb the ladder to the top, but I will climb a little way up. Fortunately have two sons who will come and do that when necessary, that's if they have time.

      Delete
    3. Adult sons WA. I wish I had thought of that when I was young.

      Delete
  7. Andrew
    would you prefer to have a back and front yard of your own, even if they were small?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question Hels that has often been debated at The Highrise. Given I used to do most of the outdoor work in the past, I will say no, given that I may not have time to read your brilliant blog posts.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I don't need a full size football pitch, but I would like enough lawn for deck chairs and some vegetable patches.

      Delete
    4. Hels, what about a table and chairs for afternoon tea?

      Delete
  8. Good that you've learned to deadhead your petunia and I can tell you the same method applies to almost every other plant. Cut the stem back by the nearest leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is pure logic. Plants branch where they are cut. Two flowers up from where there was one. But I think I will miss absent mindly taking off the flower heads.

      Delete
  9. Those of us with black fingers salute you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I don't green thumbs, but I pay attention to my plant and I don't gallivant all over Australia.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there is that :D

      Delete
  10. You shamed me into paying more attention to my poor neglected plants - 3 of them got haircuts yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, and time for your own haircut?

      Delete
  11. I could have told you that Andrew, i rather pride myself on my green thumb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you didn't tell me Grace, you didn't.

      Delete
  12. I dread to think what state my garden is in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a reasonable amount of rain Fen, probably overgrown.

      Delete