Friday, November 21, 2014

Dear PM

To the Honourable Tony Abbott, MP, Prime Minister of Australia.

There Sir, I have addressed you correctly Prime Minister Abbott. Perhaps you may care to read this.

From the age of four when I first went to school, I was exposed to the ABC, via the loud speakers in the classroom. Perhaps it was the Children's hour. I really can't recall. By the age of seven, I was watching Felix the Cat on our ABC and being spooked by Dr Who. As an older teenager, I was watching Countdown on our ABC. By my early twenties I had discovered ABC radio. Not long after, I really discovered the brilliance of ABC TV and in the subsequent years both radio and tv went from strength to strength and wow, how well has it stepped into the digital age.

I trusted you when you said before you were elected that you would not cut funding to my ABC. But you lied and have cut funding. It has being very interesting to observe how your ministers attempt to explain the cuts, phrasing them as savings that need to be made, rather than cuts. You know and I know, that is a load of tosh. You have cut ABC funding and you said you would not.

Absurdly, your extreme right Minister Pyne is involved in a Face Book group to save facilities from cuts to our ABC in Adelaide.  My eyes really did roll at that.

Well Prime Minister, others have cut the ABC budget before you and ended up in grief but some have increased the ABC budget and still ended up in grief. I expect the ups and downs of budgets for our ABC as part of the political process. But why did you lie?

And now to Managing Director of our ABC. Mark Scott, any time I have heard you speak, I have been impressed by you. You are are living in difficult times. If the suggestion that we will no longer have state editions of 7.30 on Friday nights is a ploy to create agitation against the cuts, it is working because I am extremely concerned.

I will put it simply, do not cut our once a week state editions of 7.30. It is already obvious the local editions work on a shoestring. There surely can't be much saved there.

18 comments:

  1. And you are surprised ?? Politicians all over the world are very good in promises, but to keep them is another story ! As soon as they open their mouth a lie is coming out otherwise they wouldn't be politicians !
    It's a world wide disease !! In our country they cut wherever they can and especially concerning the poor and the middle class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I believe most of them begin with good intentions, but they become corrupted by politics, or more simply, how to elected again at the next election.

      Delete
  2. If the ABC was to be destroyed or broken, my days as a thinking Australian would come to an end. No TV, no radio and no intellectual stimulation :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Hels. My life would be much emptier.

      Delete
  3. Most of them lie unfortunately, but that's just how it is. Previous Prime Ministers lied also. I don't know how they can lie because it's not my nature to lie. I like the ABC and watch it once in while, depends on what I am doing. I think occasionally everything needs a clean out, this might be one of those times, but I do hope that they don't cut our 7.30pm edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, they may well lie often, but we should neither expect or be pleased about it when they do. I think the ABC is quite lean now compared to days of old. When I have time I like to tune in the different 7.30 state editions, yours included. There used to be a great presenter but I think she retired.

      Delete
  4. Comes with the territory I think Andrew, can you imagine how shocked we would all be if they actually kept their promises :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, we would be surprised I guess. The ABC is especially important to the smaller states of Australia where there is a single Murdoch owned newspaper.

      Delete
  5. It is just another brick in the wall of things I dislike about this guvmint. And strikes me as petulant. 'You don't play the way I want you too - so I am going to take your bat and ball and go play with someone else. So there.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I recently heard someone say 'governments should make the lives of the citizens better'. It is not a bad way to judge their actions.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, I agree with Gettina politicians are very good at promises at my place too. before elections they are wonderful and nice people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, will it always be like that? Probably.

      Delete
  7. How can you tell when a politician is lying? His mouth is open.
    Very hard to type today, I have a fast-asleep cat spread across both arms.
    I have a good friend who works in ABC radio here in Adelaide, I'll send him an email and see if I can find out anything. I worry about so many cuts and job losses, it seems at times as if the government is trying to shut our state down. Or quite possibly the whole country...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha River, better than across the keyboard. Feeling a little generous to the political process, you would note that what politicians do often makes little difference to our lives. There are some exceptions.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha, it depends on the definition of 'lie', doesn't it?!?! Perhaps if we hadn't had the absurdly expensive Kevin and Julia show, there would have been more $$$ for aunty? No, I haven't turned into a rabid Abbott lover - I'm just a realist! As far as I am concerned all parties are going to say whatever it takes to get in, and more fool us if we believe them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I don't want to be driven to cynicism every time a politician speaks. I think we should expect better.

      Delete
  9. A politician who keeps a promise as as rare as an orangutan that drives a sports car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny expression Keith. I like it.

      Delete