Sunday, November 23, 2014

Countdown's 40th

The child me always urged my Pop to get home by six o'clock Sunday night from what inspired outing we had been on to watch Zig and Zag on tv. The young adult me urged R and our friends to get home by six o'clock Sundays to watch Countdown. I expect we chatted through the boring bits and most of it was, with very second rate pop performers, but for the all the dross, it was memorable on so many occasions.

ABC TV has shown the first part of their 40th anniversary tv show of Countdown, hosted by the marvellous Julia Zemiro. I an not sure if I want to thank our ABC or accuse them for milking the show for all its is worth so many years later. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the anniversary show and I was there at the time, watching the screen. While you may hear 'f*** my bitch' in modern pop songs and see extraordinarily overt gyrations by scantily clad women on tv now, it was not so back in the days of Countdown. It was all done in such good taste with nary a reference to anything sexual as you can see in this brief clip. Did this go to air? I don't remember it. I think I would.

video

Part 2 of the Countdown anniversary show screens tonight on our ABC.

I think the already poor quality video has been further reduced once uploaded to blogger. I will add this You Tube video which will be deleted in a couple of days.




21 comments:

  1. How well I remember Countdown. And yes, the ABC probably is milking it, Sadly we will have to get used to that as they strive for whatever income/market share they can claw in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, a salient point.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, it semms me nice and funny show..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more than that Gosia. It covered the world. So many bands broke here first thank to Countdown, including Abba.

      Delete
  3. I used to watch Countdown sometimes. Quite like the ABC making specials of their good shows of the past. Brings lovely memories plus with Countdown it's interesting to see the singers, listen to the songs and look at those clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, and looking at what was quite obvious under the clothes.

      Delete
  4. Where are you now, Molly???
    Those were the days when Australian tv and music counted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I hope you watched it tonight. It was brill.

      Delete
  5. I've no idea who that is or what he is singing. I missed part one last Sunday because I didn't know it was on,and I'm not sure I'll watch part two tonight. It isn't something I watched when I was young, I was more interested in climbing trees and hanging around at the beach, in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, and no doubt surreptitious glances at the boys and wondering what they were about, as you hung around the beach.

      Delete
    2. who, me?? *0*

      Delete
  6. I loved Countdown when we first came to Australia, and enjoyed both parts of the anniversary show.. a lot of groups got excellent exposure just by being on the show. My what tight red trews he's wearing here (what WAS his name) he'd be in a bit of strife if he really did get 'the feeling' haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it really was great of local music. Take another look at the YT clip and you will observe he really did get the feeling.

      Delete
    2. Got it now? I think everyone missed it.

      Delete
  7. I DO remember some songs from the '70s that included no-imagination-needed lyrics.

    Who IS that guy (the one that gets the feeling)???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I meant to say in the comment above. His name is Ray Burgess. One group here had a song 'Lick my lolly' and there was another song about teenage male masturbation in a picture theatre. To think, that was in the seventies or into the eighties and not so long before 'bloody' used to beeped out of the Red Baron song.

      Delete
  8. You may as well accuse all the 'old' musicians in their tours of the country as part of 'nostalgia' shows or whatever of milking public sentiment too! It's such a nostalgia hit - I wonder if re-playing all the episodes in an early evening time slot would work?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are correct about the milking Red. You know more about country life than I do. :-P Over the summer period the music show Rage plays lots of Countdown clips, but repeating the show itself would be boring as the show often was.

      Delete
  9. I managed to watch the first episode last week as some kind soul uploaded it to Youtube. I loved it! It was great to see all the old bands again. Like most people my age, Countdown was watched every week in my family and had a huge impact on my childhood (so did 3XY).

    The masturbation song you refer to was 'Smut' by Skyhooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, the same person will probably upload the 2nd part, so look out for it before it gets ordered down. Yes, I was a teen 3XY listener too.

      I didn't want Mitchell to be searching out naughty songs, hence I didn't mention the name.

      Delete