Saturday, November 01, 2014

Ramblings

A week of 5am rises this week has left me feeling a little very ratty this Saturday evening. Fortunately tomorrow is a later start and I will sleep in, until about 6.30. Driving home from work was such a trial. I swear if I had a gun in the car there would be a few less stupid drivers on our roads.

I hope you enjoy tomorrow's post. It was a pretty good day, although family is always exhausting but without Mother around, less exhausting.

A retired priest acquaintance makes many Christmas cakes at this time of the year, I think for charities to sell. Mid cake making he left his flat and was found in his apron wandering the streets of Armadale in a confused state. He had suffered a stroke and is now in a private rehabilitation hospital. If he remains there for a while, we will visit him.

I just had a call from our local Labor Party candidate. Of course I know your name, comrade. He will probably get my preference, although in my present mood, I will just pay the fine for not voting. Having had my electorate changed, I haven't caught up with candidates as yet, apart from the Liberal sitting member, the well known Clem Newton-Brown who once made a comment on my blog. Clem, East West Link is a bad idea and a waste of money. Prahran did have a secondary school until Kennett shut it down and sold off the land. The daytime clearway in Punt Road might be good, but I suspect it will just move congestion points to elsewhere.

We visited our travel agent last week to discuss next year's holiday. Oh the cost. Poor poor nieces and nephews. There will just not be any money left when we die. The Highrise will be mortgaged to the hilt. To give you some hints, there will be a train ride in some mountains, a big waterfall and a city that never sleeps. it will be nice for just the two of us to travel without travelling companions.

I tried to improve the look of my blog by re-arranging things and with a new and a cleaner look. It was a disaster. I think it is back to how it was, almost, and I am now telling myself, if it ain't broke it don't need fixing.

It is two weeks since I have washed my sheets. Tomorrow will be two weeks and one day and no immediate sign of me saying it is one day since I washed my sheets. 

How old is the new car? A couple of months? Someone has already opened a door onto it and damaged it. I am trying to build some outrage, but I don't have the energy.

I just took a photo of a tram passing The Highrise for future use. While doing so, I noticed my left sock has done a 180 degree turn on my foot and the Bonds is now on the top of my foot instead of the sole. It's a queer thing.

Derby Day here. I won't even mention blokes' fashion but oh did I see some tragic women today. Clearly the best dressed women were not on my horizon. My vote goes to the woman who just crossed the road below The Highrise. She still had her shoes on, she was clutching her hat and dress simultaneously as a southerly blast came through and the fat old bloke she was with looked quite prosperous. Actually, I will mention men's fashion. There was a group of about twelve men at a tram stop in Commercial Road we saw when we were driving to Prahran to shop. They had floral suits on, and all with grey hats. They looked terrific and I saw them on ABC tv news this evening.

There must something good I could say about my life, something positive, something uplifting. Yes, I am sure there is.............

24 comments:

  1. There is a reason why successive cultures have used sleep deprivation as a torture. It is.
    And, in my experience it gobbles up brain cells, patience and drains every last drop of the milk of human kindness.
    This is a remarkably benign post consideing your deprived state. Nary a hint of rattiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I don't think anyone has made kinder, more understanding and comforting comments on my blog than you have.

      Delete
  2. You do sound very tired but resigned to it. A holiday booked always puts a light on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Fun 60, I am a resigned to it sort of person.

      Delete
  3. Vancouver - Niagara - New York !!!
    Our bank balance is similarly depleted - We call it SKIWW - spending kids inheritance world wide! I'm just about back into the land of the living and there's planning going on in our house as well lol

    My mother often said the one good thing in her life each day was when she realised she'd actually woken !
    EC always makes comments to die for, there aren't many people left in this life like her. Do hope you feel better after a good night sleep Andrew.
    Oh and I saw the flowery fellas as well - I think they enjoyed the day more than all the young things freezing their .......off in the car park!
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touche Cathy. You have judged our next holiday perfectly, with a little Toronto in between

      Yes, weather a bit mixed. Nipples erect for the wrong reasons.

      Delete
    2. Many years ago we took a train from Toronto round to New York stopping off in Niagara Falls. Also another year took 'The Canadian' from Toronto across Canada to Vancouver, a fabulous trip similar to our Indian Pacific. I love that part of the world - have been there countless times and still enjoy it.
      Cathy

      Delete
    3. That's reassuring Cathy. I really wasn't so sure about Canada.

      Delete
  4. A holiday to look forward to next year. Knowing and waiting to go can also make you tired, but getting up early each morning can become tiresome in many ways, hopefully you can get to bed early and have your beauty sleep.
    So you got a bit angry with the traffic....glad you didn't have a gun, we might have heard about you on the ABC news.
    I saw those men with the flowered jackets on the ABC news this evening, as family were not here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, in my life I have bad many beauty sleeps. None seemed to have worked. Is it a luxury for you to be able to watch the news with no one around. If it was me, I would say yes but maybe you like having lots of people around.

      Delete
    2. Yes, was a luxury to watch news these past 3.1/2 months expect for holiday. Family moved today, and yes, I like having people around me, but also like my own company.

      Delete
  5. agree with everything you said. EC is a sweetheart.
    Has it been Saturday? I am exhausted. During sleep, our bodies go into repair mode. Only 9:30 and I shall start that right now.
    Good on you for the plans. SKIWW on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ten for me Ann. This morning the sun shining and I am good. SKIWW?

      Delete
    2. Never mind, I read it up in cranethie's comment, Spending Kids Inheritance World Wide.

      Delete
    3. I too read it River, but clearly it didn't sink in.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, what a bad mood and almost depression. Life is good but unfortunately tiring.Fortunately in a few months holidays will be so it is a light in a dark tunnel. Be positive tomorrow will be another sunny day and never give up. Love from cold Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine Gosia. I just like to have a complain at times. Cold already there. Ow.

      Delete
  7. Well, thank goodness you didn't have a gun in the car! This is not America where everything seems to get "fixed" by killing the other guy!
    (yes, yes, tongue in cheek, but you know what I mean)
    I should be washing my sheets too....
    a holiday trip to....the Rocky Mountains? Niagara Falls? New York?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes that sums the trip up quite well.

      Delete
  8. There's always days like these for shift workers. It's just your body telling you to rest up.

    I always get them after night shifts too. My days off forever catching up on sleep. Gets tiring at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allan, at your age? You should be out partying until the early hours when you aren't working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. fix your socks dammit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Fen. They felt uncomfortable once I realised one was very wrong.

      Delete