Friday, November 07, 2014

90 Seconds in Melbourne

I may have mentioned Wolter's World in the past and the monologue You Tube clips he puts online where he list the five things you will love and five things you will hate about various cities you may consider visiting around the world. Generally he is quite fair with what he says, but he does rather prove stereotypes form with some basis.

It seems Wolter has not been to Australia, so he hasn't loved or hated anything about us yet, but some others amateurs have and do hit some sensitive spots. Of particular note, a common theme is our racism. This is very much a geographic thing in Australia. People in the cities who live and work among the foreign born would not think and certainly not dream saying some of things you will hear in outback Australia, and to a lesser extent more populated rural Australia. Generally opinion does seems to be quite positive, except for the cost of living and travelling here. I am sorry if you aren't like that but feel damned by my remark. It is a generalisation formed by stereotypes.

I came across this short video about Melbourne made by company called Escape Here which makes various 90 second videos about many cities around the world. I am totally ignorant about the various bars in the city the narrator mentions, as you would expect someone my age to be. That St Kilda was not mentioned is odd but it is focused I guess on the city itself.




11 comments:

  1. That's a sweet video of Melbourne.
    I remember what people in the city used to say about the Italians, Greeks and other immigrants, many, many years ago - but as time has passed most of those in a city in Australia accepted those nationalities well as they intermingled into our society. Today, it's a little different with some nationalities. Without me saying any more. Outback Australians don't understand I believe and that's why they often think differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean WA, and I wonder if our current immigrants really will blend in to melting pot that is Australia. Never ask a cop what he thinks of Aboriginal problems after he has spent a night of locking up the drunks.

      Delete
  2. Great video - but I felt the urge to slip the narrator some valium to slow him down a bit. Yes I know why he was rushing, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was rather rapid fire. Now I've just listened to it again, and it has a feeling of being fast. He is not really talking that fast. Why does it feel so fast? Is it the music in the background?

      Delete
  3. 90 seconds is not long, is it. So I suppose they have to cover the shopping, restaurants and arts scene. But in my mind, the beaches, sports and gardens are the most special bits. A restaurant or an espresso bar is the same, pretty much, in Vienna, Paris, Melbourne or anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suits the modern short attention span. Now au contraire dearest Hels. There is nothing quite like having coffee within sight of Le Louvre or in Stephanplatz.

      Delete
  4. I like this way this was done. Succinct. Still can't wait to visit the area someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, see you when you do your retirement around the world trip, if I am still around.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, for ma as European person it is interesting and nice ads. But it doesn't convince me to visit Melbourne. But I would like one day visit Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, you would feel quite at home in Melbourne. It is the Australian city closest to a European city.

      Delete
  6. Short, sweet and very positive.. a good review here Andrew!

    ReplyDelete