Monday, October 20, 2014

The Notorious Highrise

It wasn't fully light as I stepped onto the balcony Saturday morning. Hmm, some sort of roadworks down below. Looks like they are finishing up.  About four white vans were across the road which was partly closed. Witches hats were being removed. I really did not take much notice. I stepped back inside, but the kettle on, turned the computer on and turned the radio on for the 6.30 news. Oh, someone was killed across the road. I went back out and it was now a bit lighter and it was police tape blocking the road off and there was now a police car there. Those white vans must be forensic scientist vans. By the time I thought to take a photo, most of the action had ended.




The next news at 7 had more information. It seemed two lads had beaten someone to death outside McDonalds in the early hours of the morning. He died shortly after he was taken by ambulance to The Alfred Hospital. As they day went on, more details emerged. By noon on Sunday, the full story seemed to be out about how Joshua Hardy was beaten and kicked to death.


When I learnt that he was an aboriginal lad, from a respected Darwin family, attended Melbourne Grammar school and was now studying at Melbourne University, I started to feel very angry. While I should have felt angry that anyone was beaten and kicked to death, there seemed now to be an extra dimension to it. I took  Dog Jack our for a walk this morning and had a look at where Josh was killed and the flowers left there by friends and family.


Dog Jack was pulling on his leash as we went out for the walk and I did not really register anything as we left. Upon our return I noticed this painted on the path in front of our building. I don't have a clue what it is about, but I felt uncomfortable. I will just say, I had a bad feeling about it. Where we live is not the type of place to have graffiti on the footpath.......just a murder across the road.


Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo stayed Saturday night as Bone Doctor was riding around the bay the next day, 220 kms. What a feat. I avoided departure bother by staying in bed with the radio and laptop until an almost civilised time of 8am Sunday. I heard on the radio news that a person had attended the nearby police station and had been charged with the murder. I also noted he lived only metres away from where it is alleged that he committed murder. ANZ investment banker Kyle Zandipour has been charger with murder and guess what building is next to ours? An ANZ bank. Is there a connection to graffiti in front of our building? I don't know, but if the alleged murderer only lived metres away from the crime scene???

16 comments:

  1. Andrew, what a sad story. But it could happen everywhere. My place is not too safe especially in the evening,..... Typical world of 21st. But dramatic loss for family.... he was so young...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, terribly sad. He had such a promising future too.

      Delete
  2. So much violence on our streets, it's sad but becoming a common thing these days.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yet very few experience violence first hand. It is very much how we perceive threat.

      Delete
  3. I heard about this on the news, they didn't give much detail but when they mentioned the location I wondered if it was "your" Maccas. It's a terrible thing to happen anywhere, but so close to home it may have you looking over your shoulder until enough time passes that you start forgetting. I've no idea what the graffiti means apart from the message relating to the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really River. I never feel unsafe here. Given how much I am out and about, I have only really felt threatened once and uncomfortable a couple of times. Mind, I don't go out at night really.

      Delete
  4. That is really dreadful, It's not expected outside ones door so to speak. Never heard about it as yet on the news down here, but that's expected. Have to feel sorry for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes, I am not so keen on things like that happening nearby. It is a tragic waste of a clever lad's life.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh this is terrible. Do they know yet if it was a hate crime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Keith, but I don't expect we will know until the case goes to court. From what I saw, the investigation was very thorough.

      Delete
  6. How terrible ! and almost at your front door ! What is in these peoples mind, if they have any ! Poor lad, far too young to die and under these horrible circumstances !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I think it is drugs that are in their minds. The accused was on cctv in the McDonalds and used his credit card to pay. Not an action of rational thinking.

      Delete
  7. Horrible to think a chance encounter can ruin a young man's life. Well two really, one is dead and one will be in jail for a long time. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Fen. One a murderer, the other a victim. Two lives ruined.

      Delete
  8. Oh remember just a short time back you were showing us the new McDonalds across the road and now this! So are you saying it was an investment banker who murdered the young man? That seems so bizarre to me, what would have been his motive I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been accused and charged with the murder, Grace. Later media modified his occupation to an ANZ Bank worker. Drink and drugs may have played a big part.

      Delete