Monday, October 27, 2014

That was the storm that was

I would not generally say I am afraid of storms. I quite like them, with lots of lightning and thunder and a torrential downpour. I did not even mind being woken at 2am by the storm we had last night. However, when lighting went down the side of building and the thunder clap was sharp and deafening and the loudest I have ever heard, I was finding this storm disturbing. One more loud thunder clap and the action drifted a way a bit. From my bed I could watch the lightning dancing in the skies and listen to the rumble of the thunder.

All over by the time I had to go to work, but I don't know if our building took a direct hit, but none of the doors would open, including the one to the carpark or any other I tried. The building had gone into lock down with the only way out by pressing the emergency door button at the front door, and then you could not get back in. How do I get to work? Trams were not running yet and I would be late even if there was a tram to catch. I had to get a taxi which cost me $20 and of course my umbrella was in my car. Not happy Jan.

There are some quite good photos of the storm here.

12 comments:

  1. I hope the building was sorted by the time you got home and wanted to get back in. Terrible if they kept you waiting and all the other tenants of course. Close lightning doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't touch. That would be a little too close. Back in 1999 I was walking home from work through a thunderstorm and a bolt of lightning hit the road just a couple of metres from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't when I arrived home for lunch at 11.30, but someone was leaving by the front door and I was able to enter. There were notices up that car park access was available via level 1 and that the car park gate was open. By 2.30 when I went back to work, all was well. Gee that was a close call for you. You being higher than the road could have well be the lightning target.

      Delete
  2. Gosh that was a nuisance then not being able to get the door open. Too bad if you left it to the last minute and couldn't get a taxi.
    I heard about the storm, sounds as if it was a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I had to to be at work by 6.10. In my car I would have arrived at 5.55 and had a a sit and chat to workmates while sipping a cup of coffee. I arrived at exactly 6.10, somewhat stressed. It was truly a ripper storm.

      Delete
  3. I read about the storm in the news this morning. Amazing. I find these really exciting -- even the power outages, but I've never had anything bad happen to me... and ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I am surprised the storm was reported out of Australia. It can be fun without power but not for very long.

      Delete
  4. Saw some of the action on the news Andrew, impressive.. must have been amazing watching the lightening from the cosy comfort of bed :) Sounds like your building might have had a hit, soooo i convenient oui :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes it was fun and I would have been busy with the camera had I not had to sleep.

      Delete
  5. Definitely I don't like storms. They are awful.. It wasn't your lucky morning..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my lucky morning at all, Gosia.

      Delete
  6. We had some crazy storms lately, some of our doors are jamming but that's from water leaking and ours are not electrically operated.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes, you have had some pretty extreme weather of late. We once had a a leaking pipe under our house and all the doors started to jam.

      Delete