Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check for River's Sunday Selection here.

Leaves are well and truly appearing on trees now. Across the road though, the elms are deceptive. They are only green with seeds and husks, or hops. After a couple of warm days they dry off and then the wind blows them around like confetti, at times even into The Highrise. Curiously I noticed something on the inside of my shower door. I opened it and it was a elm hop was stuck to the glass.


We stopped by the site of the last series of the tv show The Block. We did not really watch the show, but R did watch once a week when the work they had done during the week was completed and revealed.


There were real estate agent boards on the front for each apartment to be sold.



The winners were the the two brothers on the Jellis Craig board. It is judged by how much the property sells over the auction reserve which is set by the makers of the tv show. The contestants get to keep the difference, plus $100,000 prize money for the winners. They deserved to win. Their apartment was both luxurious and masculine. It was the only one I almost liked.


We caught the tram to Victoria Gardens. While it is not so bad in this photo, see the hatched area on the road to keep cars clear of the tram tracks. When we arrived, cars were lined up on the hatched area waiting to turn right and of course blocking the tram. There was no reason for this except absolute stupidity and the blind following the stupid.


Since R has retired, he now does my ironing, of which there is very little. I bought a new shirt and washed it and then decided to iron it myself. But I had never used our latest iron. It is a complicated beast. With no class and a lot of the other, I worked it out. Well, I thought I had. It blurted out a measure of dirty water from the sole plate onto my new shirt. Wash, dry and I successfully completed the ironing the second time.



I image this is how sauerkraut begins, but no, it was something else and I have now forgotten what. The frypan is cast iron, bought for a couple of dollars about thirty years ago in a camping shop. It has served us very well. 


This was my grandfather's wheelbarrow, now in the possession of Tradie Brother. He has given in a rust treatment and soon it will have a coat of green paint, which is how I remember it. It is over fifty years old.


A curious anachronism in Princes Street, St Kilda. Nepean Highway is called St Kilda Road where they meet. There is not even a route number, so it must be quite old. Even the dot after Hwy tells me it is a very old sign. Note Vic Roads, just because I mention it, there is no reason to remove it. I like it.


A shiny new thing seen on Melbourne's streets, alas not normally going past The Highrise, with the exception of this one which was probably being tested. Made in Melbourne, for Melbourne........of mostly imported parts.


If you have a shiny new thing on the streets, you need another shiny new thing to push or tow the first shiny new thing when it breaks down.

17 comments:

  1. We have rather a lot of elm detritus in our house at the moment. Much of it tromped in by the builders.
    I have to ask: did the shiny new thing break down - or just enjoy the company on its outing.
    And your wheelbarrow shot sent me spinning down memory lane. So very like my father's - but in better condition. His had dried concrete in the bottom, paints platters and the odd hole...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, rain and builders = muck tramped in. No, I can't really remember but I think I snapped the photos at different times. Yes, wheelbarrows tend to end as you describe. Of course dried concrete protects the surface but makes them damn heavy.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I am jealous of your beautiful spring. Wow because I don't like ironing I can send R my clothes to iron for my family,, It is a great idea. I believe..
    I love your wheelbarrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, soon I will be complaining of the heat. Not sure about the economies of posting clothes to us.

      Delete
  3. 'The block', once a must watch but now lost interest to much infighting and emotion.
    Not long replaced my iron but I bought a very cheap one from K Mart very easy to use, and my old wheelbarrow become containers for plants easy to relocate.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, like all those shows, they just drag it out for to long. Yes, I reckon cheap irons are ok, but I was impressed with this one. I glides so well. Seen your barrow featured many times. :)

      Delete
  4. Andrew, was not that McDonalds the scene of a callous bashing murder on the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Allan. More on that tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Watched the block once ages ago. Too many dramas, child like behaviour etc I thought I don't have to watch this rubbish! Haven't since.
    I like ironing, not much to iron these days. I bet you were not happy when dirt came from the iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA manufactured drama quite often. I don't mind ironing if I have something to watch on tv, for half an hour. I was not happy with dirty water on my new shirt. It washed out ok.

      Delete
  6. Did my eyes deceive me or is that a gold coloured iron? A little bit fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your monitor or you eyes do deceive you Victor. It is a silvery grey. Ah, two more words, grey and gray. A little bit fancy.....tv ad, but I can't remember.

      Delete
  7. "it blurted out a measure of dirty water.." tsk tsk Andrew. Never put tap water into a steam iron. Distilled water only, available in supermarkets reasonably cheaply and empty the iron after use. You'll find the steam holes don't get clogged with that white calcium residue as they do with tap water, so your iron will function better and last longer. I used to find ironing a very peaceful task, I'd get it done straight after bringing in the wash most of the time, or while watching TV after dinner while the kids dried the dishes and did homework.
    I like the new tram, ignoring the "mostly imported parts" made in Melbourne for Melbourne is a good thing, employment-wise at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we are told Melbourne water is fine for irons and it is not necessary to use distilled water. Yes, plenty of local labour is going into the making of the trams.

      Delete
  8. I wandered past the new Block the other week, in Darling St. They were busy at it @ 7.30 in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling St South Yarra Fen? I thought the next was the old Octagon Motel in Commercial Road.

      Delete
  9. Yeah South Yarra. My friend lives up on Yarra Boulevard and we walk past to go to dinner. They're doing an apartment block there.

    ReplyDelete