Sunday, October 05, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check out River's, Elephant's Child, Jackie's and Kath's Sunday Selections, if they post. River will have one, I promise. 

Some photos are mine. Some are not. I wish I had labelled this one, but I think it is the foyer of Astor Theatre, possibly to close next year.


I don't think nunnery is really the polite word to use. I've got it now, a convent. The Convent of the Good Shepherd occupied a huge area of land on Beaconsfield Parade in Middle Park. I think this is the old school house. Most of the buildings have been demolished and the land is now used for both private and public housing. The wall in front of the building stretched for a long distance. While a good bit of the wall has been retained, and at times incorporated, there are gaps. R remembers the nuns being out and about at times.


Sixties I suppose, at a well known Melbourne location. Photograph by Angus O'Callaghan. The couple almost look like stylised drawings. She looks great but I don't like the way his coat drapes or the length his trousers. Great photo though.


Slightly interesting rays of light on the horizon.


Another great photo from Shorpy.com. I make no comment on the hat, but interesting lighting.


I just could not get the camera to focus exactly right for a close up of the cactus photo. The flowers are really small. Perhaps I expect too much from a point and shoot, even after adjusting settings.


Do you tire of seeing balloons? I don't.


Although I have never seen balloons out in such inclement weather as this.



I suppose Shannon Bennett could be called a celebrity chef. He owns Vue de Monde, an upmarket city restaurant. There is also Bistro Vue, along with three Cafe Vues, Little Collins Street in the city, Melbourne Airport and Heide. Cafe Vue in St Kilda Road, across the road from us, opened with huge publicity and for a while was very popular among the glitteraty. I guess you can call it a failed business now. We went there maybe four times, for coffee only, with a view to dine or breakfast there in the future. The service was so lousy, so slow and so full of attitude, we never did have more than coffee there, and that alone was a demoralising experience. We really felt types like us, not dressed to the nines, were not welcome. Fine, we won't go then and we didn't. It has closed. Bennett is an experienced business person, so I am surprised he got it all so wrong at Cafe Vue in St Kilda Road. Snooty is a good word, to describe the service. The online restaurant reviews prove the point, so it wasn't just us.





That's your bloomin' lot for the week, to quote a famous Tasmanian.

20 comments:

  1. Andrew, the city of 60s is very interesting. I love it. I always llove watching ballons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I like hearing the burners too.

      Delete
  2. I am a balloon tragic and never tire of them. Love those rays of light too. And had a fondness for that Tasmanian and his blooming lot. He was known in this house as Muck (pronounced mook) Man because of his love of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha EC, at Muck Man. I like that he is prepared to protest for what he believes in.

      Delete
  3. The Astor reminds me of Sydney's cinemas in my 1950s childhood.

    The thing with the glitterati is that they are always seeking the latest fashion so restaurants with attitude are mostly set to fail in the longer run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is much loved and is kind of frozen in time, without much being done to it over the years. It does not focus on latest releases, but double features and restored and or enlarged film prints.

      Delete
  4. How can you tire of watching balloons. Your high rise must be a great place for balloon watching as well as catching those sun rays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, yes we see many balloons, sometimes very close. We face east so only get morning sun, with virtually none in the winter. I would rather that to facing west.

      Delete
  5. I love the fab photo of the Hotel Australia, re both the architecture and the fashions. Very evocative of the 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, and now the Australia Arcade has closed.

      Delete
  6. Candy Tray boys! I haven't seen one of them since the 60s.
    I remember going to see Pollyanna, starring Hayley Mills when it came out and I'm not sure if the candy boys were there still then, but certainly not since. I remember seeing them at Saturday matinees in the older theatre and on the Thursday nights when dad and me would go to the double feature Western nights. We always bought Maltesers and Fruchocs. I like the cactus flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, recalling from movies, did they also walk through cinemas selling cigars and cigarettes? Maltesers I know but not Fruchocs. I suppose Heyley Mills is still going.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing the balloons too -so lovely. How great is that old photo of the couple opposite the Hotel Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, no doubt the photo is staged, but I like it too.

      Delete
  8. Love the foyer of the Astor Theatre Andrew, Art Deco fabulousness, I really hope they don't close it.. do Melbournians frequent it enough to stop it closing ? Is there a reson you don't like seeing the balloons? Tres enjoyable Sunday series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, it gets reasonably good patronage and people have conducted campaigns in the past to save it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting set of photos, always good to look back on them, reminds us what things were.
    The balloons look good in the sky.
    As for the Cafe, seemed doomed by what you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I am not a great one for looking back at old photos on my blog. I am often surprised when I do look back at my blog and photos.

      Delete
  11. Serves Bennett right that he failed if it was snooty. I can't stand that sort of attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Fen. I don't think he really had much involvement in it, which was foolish of him if it is his name on the line.

      Delete